hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can totally understand why no one wants to stick their head above the parapet and defend the manager. Whether people want to admit it or not anyone doing so would be subjected to grief and a certain level of 'mob mentality'. In saying that I don't think there are many still backing him anyway.

A couple of months back before things got really vitriolic I asked a similar question on the PM board. A few people replied and the general response seemed to be it was blind optimism rather than anytging they were actually seeing. If someone is naturally optimistic then I suppose that makes sense.

I think it's increasingly difficult to defend him now though. As I said elsewhere the progress of late has to be a measured against the bigger picture. Where have we actually progressed from? It seems to be being measured against the low ebb of a shocking run and a Derby defeat rather than over any meaningful timeframe.

I would be interested to read some form of defence of the manager purely because it might point out something myself, and a majority of other it would seem, am missing. I'm not sure such a defence exists though.

It's over, but let's respect each other's views, IMHO.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Since1875 View Post
    The worst thing we could have done was get in to the semi final of the League cup and draw with a really really poor Celtic side at home. Can’t believe I’m saying that!!! But it’s bought him time we cannot afford to give I’m afraid. Buckle up folks!
    The semi money could help pay him and his staff off.

Like the derby and previous games though it’s an opportunity for the wrong manager when a new manager could give the team a boost and actually get a result.

Drawing with Celtic at ER was lucky there is no chance we will beat them at Hampden with his tactics and player selections.

Left by mutual consent!
    I can totally understand why no one wants to stick their head above the parapet and defend the manager. Whether people want to admit it or not anyone doing so would be subjected to grief and a certain level of 'mob mentality'. In saying that I don't think there are many still backing him anyway.

A couple of months back before things got really vitriolic I asked a similar question on the PM board. A few people replied and the general response seemed to be it was blind optimism rather than anytging they were actually seeing. If someone is naturally optimistic then I suppose that makes sense.

I think it's increasingly difficult to defend him now though. As I said elsewhere the progress of late has to be a measured against the bigger picture. Where have we actually progressed from? It seems to be being measured against the low ebb of a shocking run and a Derby defeat rather than over any meaningful timeframe.

I would be interested to read some form of defence of the manager purely because it might point out something myself, and a majority of other it would seem, am missing. I'm not sure such a defence exists though.

Great post. I haven’t seen a way back for him for some time now and I really don’t think he deserves a January transfer window. But as I’m all matters Hibs I’m always open to temperate persuasion by fellow supporters who might see something I’ve missed.

I’m at a loss to think about that a pro PH argument might even look lokff red now though.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Great post. I haven’t seen a way back for him for some time now and I really don’t think he deserves a January transfer window. But as I’m all matters Hibs I’m always open to temperate persuasion by fellow supporters who might see something I’ve missed.

I’m at a loss to think about that a pro PH argument might even look lokff red now though.

PB usually gives a reasonable argument and then invites others to participate. I think the majority know that, deep down, we are going the wrong way and need a new approach. This isn't the answer to future progress; we have been here before.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar

I would genuinely love to give my defence to the manager or at least some but I can't. I was happy when he got appointed and really wanted him to do well as i do with all players and managers that are newly appointed. Whether it's down to team selection or tactics he's not got it. He really does have to go sooner than later before the fans in the stands do.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar

I have a bit, however as I’ve said already it is more beneficial for the club financially for him to turn it round as opposed to sacking and hiring. Perfect scenario would be a pick up in results and then another team coming in for him. I can’t see how he can win back some of the support based on the feeling that currently exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Posted this previously some time ago and most if not all of it seems horribly accurate. Including the part about players liking him but not taking him seriously, which was disputed at the time but seems transparently to be the case.

"There's some litany of excuses, justifications and prevarications being touted now in defence of a tenure that so far has been hugely below what we expected. The club needs a serious shake and the advent of Ron should be the time to do that in both statements of intent and actions taken.

New signings look, so far, average at best - and that's being generous. And the budget appears to be blown to the extent that we have to shift players like Mackie out in order to be able to bring yet another right back in. So there's clearly no additional cavalry coming over the horizon. And the 'Mackie out to get someone else in' scenario gives the lie to the notion that we can play Billy big balls with things like shirt sponsorship as though we're so cash rich that it makes little difference to us.

There's no shape to the team.

There's no pace to the team.

There's little to no cutting edge to the team up front and our options there are threadbare.

There's no dig in the midfield. None. Unless the Swede proves to be a revelation that other clubs have missed AND can stay fit and available all season we will be walked through game after game after game.

We were promised a high press and we look like exactly the opposite.

We were promised players fiitter than ever before and they look the opposite.

There's no public facing leader at the Club and none on the park. Heckingbottom has actually gone out of his way to play down ambitions and expectations in fact. I'm told that Gray is excellent with the other players around the club from day to day but he apparently just isn't a demonstrative type of captain on the park. We go 1 - 0 down in a game and players wander about looking like it doesn't matter that much - I can remember going behind in games at one stage of Lennon being in charge and thinking quite confidently that it would be fine because we were so focussed and such a unit that we'd score two.

We've taken a platform of optimism, enthusiasm, huge season ticket numbers and great infrastructure and somehow managed to go backwards. Since that appalling approach to the Celtic cup game at home last season we've looked like a team that knows its place which is somewhere mid table without getting uppity ideas beyond our station. I doubt there's a team in the league scared of us now.

This is bad, directionless football, played by too many average and ageing players, led by an out of his depth manager, appointed by people who won't want to admit their mistake until it's cost us a lot more than it needs to. The players like him but don't take him seriously and he's signed a lot of nice guys when we need some steel to go with any ability. This won't end well and it won't be the fault of the supporters."

@hibs.net private member
    "..he's signed a lot of nice guys when we need some steel to go with any ability"

A mate of mine knows a senior player in the team and this is the jist of what he said he believes the issue to be. New guys are, generally, technically good players but all come from playing at mid table teams and dont have a strong winning mentality or steelness about them. Thats reflected in the way we cant seem to hold a lead or get back into a game when behind.

Add a few leaders to the team and we would pick up points, even porteous coming in has made a difference. Gray and Mcgregor being back fit would help too.

Its shocking that the club didnt address this in the summer though, knowing that gray and mcgregor were getting on and that milligan and bartley were moving on.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Surely the final straw now. Get him to ****, this just isn't good enough. We are going to get relegated under this clown.

No doubt the club will ignore the fact that we've blown a 2 goal lead in 16 minutes today and try to turn it into a positive spin by saying we are 5 unbeaten in a poor attempt to shift the remainder of semi final tickets and tickets for next Wednesday.

ACT NOW DEMPSTER. REMEMBER YOUR POSITION IS EXPENDABLE AS WELL. THIS IS YOUR APPOINTMENT, YOU'RE PARTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MESS. WAKE UP FFS!!!!!!
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 26-10-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.