hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graeme Mathie

Promising Youngster Steve Austin's Avatar

Graeme Mathie

I see Graeme mathie who I believe we want as George Craig's replacement is been linked to The Rangers now?.
    From what I can gather he is good at what he does in regards player recruitment?,well I'm sure this season has left a lot to be desired so far?.
    There has been no official word from ER in regards him getting the Gig from George Craig?..
    Maybe we are going down the route of a new team of head of football operations and recruitment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I’m not convinced he is wanted by us to replace George Craig.

If that was the plan would it not have been announced at the same time we announced Craig was retiring?

Mathie and Craig looking to get out after having no input whatsoever in our early season transfer activity.

Promising Youngster Steve Austin's Avatar
    I agree, I'm not sure why there has been a silence about Craig's replacement,and they could have said Graeme was replacing him?,unless he's unhappy at ER now ?.
    The club should clarify his position to stop speculation and tell us what is happening in what is a crucial role at our club.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mathie and Craig looking to get out after having no input whatsoever in our early season transfer activity.
    Even with Hallberg?

@hibs.net private member
    Craig is Hecky's boss. Who overruled Craig ... Leeann? Not sure I'm buying this one.

I just realised Graham Mathie and Alex Mathie that used to play for Ipswich aren’t the same people.

Does Graham Mathie have any history in football as a player? Not that it’s relevant to the job he’s doing of course, just curious now I’ve realised I was getting him mixed up with someone with a different name.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I just realised Graham Mathie and Alex Mathie that used to play for Ipswich aren’t the same people.

Does Graham Mathie have any history in football as a player? Not that it’s relevant to the job he’s doing of course, just curious now I’ve realised I was getting him mixed up with someone with a different name.
    He was a senior player in the lower leagues. Alex Ferguson played in the lower leagues, so not to be sniffed at
    His dad (Ross) was a player at a few clubs in the late 60’s/early 70’s,and ended up as a Youth Coach at the SFA

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Craig is Hecky's boss. Who overruled Craig ... Leeann? Not sure I'm buying this one.
    Heckingbottom has final say on signings.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    You dont need to buy it but it's true. Hecky signed all the early ones without consulting the recruitment department and the results are evident. Halberg, Naismith and Middleton are Craig and Mathie signings.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Austin View Post
    I see Graeme mathie who I believe we want as George Craig's replacement is been linked to The Rangers now?.
    From what I can gather he is good at what he does in regards player recruitment?,well I'm sure this season has left a lot to be desired so far?.
    There has been no official word from ER in regards him getting the Gig from George Craig?..
    Maybe we are going down the route of a new team of head of football operations and recruitment.
    Surprised. I thought they had just hired a guy from Southampton or is this for a different role?

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    You dont need to buy it but it's true. Hecky signed all the early ones without consulting the recruitment department and the results are evident. Halberg, Naismith and Middleton are Craig and Mathie signings.
    If that’s true then there’s no point in having this supposedly amazing football structure if the manager is allowed to do deals outwith it. We should be hiring a manager to work within our parameters. LD has failed on that front by the looks of it.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He was a senior player in the lower leagues. Alex Ferguson played in the lower leagues, so not to be sniffed at
    His dad (Ross) was a player at a few clubs in the late 60’s/early 70’s,and ended up as a Youth Coach at the SFA
    Alex Ferguson also played in the top division

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If that’s true then there’s no point in having this supposedly amazing football structure if the manager is allowed to do deals outwith it. We should be hiring a manager to work within our parameters. LD has failed on that front by the looks of it.
    Thats the way just about every club in this country works. A lot of clubs have recruitment teams but the manager/HC always has the final say. As others have said Stubbs utilised the model to the full.

As long as it works, I don't care what they do.

It doesn't sound like an unreasonable approach - having a recruitment structure in place but allowing for flexibility so a manager can have a say in bringing in the odd player of his own.

Obviously when you end up with a squad like ours, questions need to be asked about what TF is going on and what we need to do differently to do better.

It would be very interesting to know what has led to each of our arrivals coming to the club, going all the way back to Stubbs' arrival, and assessing the relative successes of the recruitment team and each manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Disagree. The manager still has to have the final say on who is going to be in his team. The recruitment team is a scouting and administration function to support the guy in charge. It at least that’s how I’d look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Thats the way just about every club in this country works. A lot of clubs have recruitment teams but the manager/HC always has the final say. As others have said Stubbs utilised the model to the full.
    In defence of our other managers, that structure is probably a bit easier to work within when you're being offered players like Scott Allan, Dylan McGeouch, Liam Henderson, John McGinn, Liam Fontaine, Darren McGregor and Dominic Malonga to work with (without knowing who and what has been offered to our subsequent managers).

But how did he actually sign them in terms of getting them on the dotted line? It's not him responsible for contracts so if Doidge et al really are purely his desired signings with no official scouting then that's a massive structural failing from LD et al

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    But how did he actually sign them in terms of getting them on the dotted line? It's not him responsible for contracts so if Doidge et al really are purely his desired signings with no official scouting then that's a massive structural failing from LD et al
    Is it really? Is the structure not there to support him? He has the final say, he said he wanted them, they then make it happen.

Like Lennon getting the likes of Ambrose and Marciano in. He said he wanted them, the club did it. It’s just that they were a lot better than the quality of player Heckingbottom wants.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Is it really? Is the structure not there to support him? He has the final say, he said he wanted them, they then make it happen.

Like Lennon getting the likes of Ambrose and Marciano in. He said he wanted them, the club did it. It’s just that they were a lot better than the quality of player Heckingbottom wants.
    To a certain degree. The recruitment department still have to carry our due diligence on each player. They specifically advised the club NOT to sign two of Heckys targets.

There's a difference between the final say and the entire say, that's my point. Did nobody from the club so any even light scouting/research into Ambrose or especially Marciano before they were brought in? I genuinely don't know.

To a certain degree. The recruitment department still have to carry our due diligence on each player. They specifically advised the club NOT to sign two of Heckys targets.
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Who?
    I'm not willing to say.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    There's a difference between the final say and the entire say, that's my point. Did nobody from the club so any even light scouting/research into Ambrose or especially Marciano before they were brought in? I genuinely don't know.
    You genuinely don't know...

Left by mutual consent!

They can’t just be over ruled on any old ***** otherwise there’s no point in having that whole department- which seems to have been the case this summer and last summer.

Ambrose and Marciano are fairly high-profile and whilst possibly expensive, would have been fairly safe bets in terms of quality so I could understand the recruitment team being on board with these signings.

Heckingbottom has (had?) a reputation for unearthing and working well with unknown players from the English lower leagues and I suspect this will have appealed to LD - working with cheaper players (given we've probably shelled out a fair bit during the Lennon era, for one reason or another). I reckon she's giving PH time with the players of his own selection to see if he can do something but the signs aren't good. I can understand the recruitment team being less happy with players they know less about (or know about but rate less) being signed if they suspect they are not of the required quality.

It will be very interesting to see where we go from here.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm not willing to say.
    There’s no danger you’re not telling the truth either.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Ambrose and Marciano are fairly high-profile and whilst possibly expensive, would have been fairly safe bets in terms of quality so I could understand the recruitment team being on board with these signings.

Heckingbottom has (had?) a reputation for unearthing and working well with unknown players from the English lower leagues and I suspect this will have appealed to LD - working with cheaper players (given we've probably shelled out a fair bit during the Lennon era, for one reason or another). I reckon she's giving PH time with the players of his own selection to see if he can do something but the signs aren't good. I can understand the recruitment team being less happy with players they know less about (or know about but rate less) being signed if they suspect they are not of the required quality.

It will be very interesting to see where we go from here.
    Wonder if that’s one of the reasons Heckingbottom is looking like he’s trying to force the issue with Newell, like he needs to prove he’s better than what he’s shown so far.

FWIW if this is the route we’re going down we might be better looking abroad for a manager that knows how to function in this system. Assuming of course this is more common abroad than maybe it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    More smoke and mirrors, must be great to post, without any evidence, oh sorry you have club source 🙄
    Love it when people ask for evidence on here.

It’s a football forum, not a court of law, what sort of evidence you after?

If they had input in Brian Graham, Neil Earldley, Nelom, Mavrais, Big Dave, Rherras, Hyndman and Bigiriama im quite pleased.