hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Scotland 19’s

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar

Scotland 19’s

On BBC now, any Hibs youngsters in the team?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Looks like a good number are signed with English clubs. And one from cowdenbeath!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like a good number are signed with English clubs. And one from cowdenbeath!
    Dave, He’s a Hearts player on loan at Cowdenbeath
    Shows you how hard it is to recruit young players. On the other hand, how many at this age group will become top players? History says very few

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Dave, He’s a Hearts player on loan at Cowdenbeath
    Shows you how hard it is to recruit young players. On the other hand, how many at this age group will become top players? History says very few
    It would help if we had a tie in with a performance school surely? We’re being left behind in that aspect. I’ve a feeling our model consists of picking up the players not given pro contracts by Celtic rangers and hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    It would help if we had a tie in with a performance school surely? We’re being left behind in that aspect. I’ve a feeling our model consists of picking up the players not given pro contracts by Celtic rangers and hearts.
    I don't know if we have a tie in as such, but I know a large number of the pupils at broughton are signed with hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Excellent performance and result (1-0) by the Scottish Under 19s. Well done coach Billy Stark and assistant ... Keith Keith Keith Wright :)

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Excellent performance and result (1-0) by the Scottish Under 19s. Well done coach Billy Stark and assistant ... Keith Keith Keith Wright :)
    No Hibs players in the side?

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    I don't know if we have a tie in as such, but I know a large number of the pupils at broughton are signed with hibs.
    Your spot on regarding this.!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    No Hibs players in the side?
    Not as far as I know, could be wrong though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    End of the game the bold Malky getting interviewed along with the 19s coach. Not sure any reason Mackay needs to be interviewed give Stark his place.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    End of the game the bold Malky getting interviewed along with the 19s coach. Not sure any reason Mackay needs to be interviewed give Stark his place.
    Yeah me neither, surely Mackay will be judged on how many players from the current crop make it to the top level?

That's surely got to be a great result.

21s doing well in their group as well. Promising signs in terms of players coming through perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    21s doing well in their group as well. Promising signs in terms of players coming through perhaps?
    Only if they have a pathway and are given the opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Pretty sure that was because he was the pundit pre match and at half-time.

Testimonial Due
    Was a bit surprised that Hickey was not included in the team, apart from the goalkeeper we looked like kids running around men?
    We never have had many tall players playing for Scotland at the same time, but, we always seem to have wee tigers snarling around in midfield and up front!!!!
    Great result last night, a few good players for Scotland, felt all 2nd half we would concede a goal, but in the end we could have a few more!
    We can only hope some of these players finally make the jump to full Internationals!!!!

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Is Hickey not Irish or have I just imagined that.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    Pretty sure he is scottish

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Was a bit surprised that Hickey was not included in the team, apart from the goalkeeper we looked like kids running around men?
    We never have had many tall players playing for Scotland at the same time, but, we always seem to have wee tigers snarling around in midfield and up front!!!!
    Great result last night, a few good players for Scotland, felt all 2nd half we would concede a goal, but in the end we could have a few more!
    We can only hope some of these players finally make the jump to full Internationals!!!!
    Would Hickey not be with 21s

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Think Hearts asked for him not to be picked, due to number of games he’s played recently

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    Scottish, definitely

Read Hickey had been left out due to the number of games he's played for Hearts this season. Great result for the 19s and hopefully some of these guys can get into their club teams regularly enough to make the step up to 21s and Men's squad.

Real shame to see so few Hibs players in the Scotland youth squads these days mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel 1875 View Post
    Read Hickey had been left out due to the number of games he's played for Hearts this season. Great result for the 19s and hopefully some of these guys can get into their club teams regularly enough to make the step up to 21s and Men's squad.

Real shame to see so few Hibs players in the Scotland youth squads these days mind you.
    Agree with that way of thinking, if you're playing first team football you've little to gain being involved in the U19 squad. It's just more games when he probably will benefit from the rest and the national team will potentially benefit longer term with the first team experience he's gaining at club level.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think Hearts asked for him not to be picked, due to number of games he’s played recently
    Levein over controlling again....

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Agree with that way of thinking, if you're playing first team football you've little to gain being involved in the U19 squad. It's just more games when he probably will benefit from the rest and the national team will potentially benefit longer term with the first team experience he's gaining at club level.
    I’m not sure about that. How can we ever expect our international teams to develop if the players don’t get experience of playing at international level?

It’s a totally different style to playing domestic football. If he’d played the other night it would have been 10 days after his last game for Hearts.

Big reason other countries are miles ahead of us, IMO, is that they take International youth football way more seriously than us whereas our clubs are only interested in protecting themselves.

I’m not sure about that. How can we ever expect our international teams to develop if the players don’t get experience of playing at international level?

It’s a totally different style to playing domestic football. If he’d played the other night it would have been 10 days after his last game for Hearts.

Big reason other countries are miles ahead of us, IMO, is that they take International youth football way more seriously than us whereas our clubs are only interested in protecting themselves.
    Also the fact the style of football Hearts play is nothing like international football. Whether Hickey should have been with 19s or 21s he should have been with one of them. One of the key reasons imo we struggle at both international and European levels is the way some of our top teams play. Example if Hearts and Aberdeen play against each other it is a totally different style of game than international level. The refereeing of our top games is shocking as teams are not punished for over physical play as they should be.

I would say that it's the opposite, we've had successful youth teams for decades but the national team has regressed because the players never get first team football. Look at Hibs really successful U21 squads that one cups and leagues, few made the step up. It's been the same with the national u19 and 21 teams.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel 1875 View Post

Hibs have for many years been shamefully under represented at schoolboy & youth level. 2 or 3 of the golden generation were capped at u 19/20 level but others were 1st capped at u 21 level. I dont think any were schoolboy caps, though i believe Lewis was! The OF bias starts very early!

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I would say that it's the opposite, we've had successful youth teams for decades but the national team has regressed because the players never get first team football. Look at Hibs really successful U21 squads that one cups and leagues, few made the step up. It's been the same with the national u19 and 21 teams.
    But my point is why can’t they be doing both.

You can bet that, if a young German or Spanish player was playing at their top league at 17, he wouldn’t be getting left out of international squads because of how much he’d played. He’d probably be moved up and age group if anything.