hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never a wise move.

Can I just point out that there are now a lot more posts on this thread about young Bernard Manning than there are about the original subject?

Which suggests outrage at tasteless jokes is more important to some than the original subject to some.

I think the most surprising thing about our continued anger about these brutal killings is that we are still surprised. One thing is for sure, they aren't going away.
    I think that's why people feel that discussing them in any length is futile.

We've said it all time and time again, yet nothing changes. We're tired of it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I think that's why people feel that discussing them in any length is futile.

We've said it all time and time again, yet nothing changes. We're tired of it.
    Maybe the only thing that can come out of it is new insights into the state of mind of white cops.

You would be forgiven for thinking they are guardians of a white society that is no closer to moving on from the Civil War than they have ever been.

Maybe the only thing that can come out of it is new insights into the state of mind of white cops.

You would be forgiven for thinking they are guardians of a white society that is no closer to moving on from the Civil War than they have ever been.
    I doubt I could even point a loaded gun at someone, never mind fire it, so what does that say about the values of white cops, or any US cops?

I take some reassurance from the fact that the officer who pulled the trigger has been charged with murder.

He may not be prosecuted, or he might be found not guilty, but at least it's not just a "thoughts and prayers" statement from the PD while the killer goes about his business as usual.

Maybe it'll make others think twice before shooting.

Maybe I'm naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I doubt I could even point a loaded gun at someone, never mind fire it, so what does that say about the values of white cops, or any US cops?

I take some reassurance from the fact that the officer who pulled the trigger has been charged with murder.

He may not be prosecuted, or he might be found not guilty, but at least it's not just a "thoughts and prayers" statement from the PD while the killer goes about his business as usual.

Maybe it'll make others think twice before shooting.

Maybe I'm naive.
    Can I suggest you are not American and are not educated from an early age to regard every other human being as being put on this earth solely to take away your property.

Furthermore guy don't live in a country where the constitution actually encourages you to get a gun and shoot people you don't like.

Can I suggest you are not American and are not educated from an early age to regard every other human being as being put on this earth solely to take away your property.

Furthermore guy don't live in a country where the constitution actually encourages you to get a gun and shoot people you don't like.
    Word!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    What a hellish thing.
    There are simply too many guns in the USA.
    How many people do you know who you would trust with a gun?
    Cops in USA must think about the threat of guns every time they go to a call.
    Fear leads to bad choices.
    A recipe for disaster which is played out in the USA on an almost daily basis.

In this country we have very few cops with guns, they are experts and use them very rarely.
    Importantly very few folk in this country have guns so cops are not thinking about the threat of guns when they go to every call.
    As a result there has been only one incident in this country where an innocent has been shot by Police officers. That was sad death of Jean Charles de Menezes days after the London bombings. That case would bring a tear to a glass eye.
    I should say I don't consider violent criminals like Mark Duggan as innocents.

Something that stands out to me, is how I feel and the reactions I see in others when a gun related incident happens in the uk. It always makes me stop, it’s a shock, because gun related incidents a relatively few and far between. Compared with hearing about a similar incident in the US (in fact often far worse incidents), and it’s almost become blasé, it’s almost a weekly occurrence.

a shocking atrocity happened at dunblane, which prompted swift and strong changes to gun laws across the uk. No whining about constitutional rights, about right to bear arms. As a whole, the population of the uk completely got behind the need for change. In the US, far too many are too busy demanding their right to have deadly weapons to see the pain and suffering being caused all the time.

I've no doubt that changing things there would take a very long time. But thats a lot sooner than no change at all.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    The fact there has been no improvement since that came out us truly disheartening.
    TBH once Sandy Hook came and went with no change, you knew the game was up.

They just don’t care. They will have to get on with killing each other and pretending it was “mental illness” or a “lone wolf”. Ignoring the ease that they got the weapons in the first place.

J

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    TBH once Sandy Hook came and went with no change, you knew the game was up.

They just don’t care. They will have to get on with killing each other and pretending it was “mental illness” or a “lone wolf”. Ignoring the ease that they got the weapons in the first place.

J
    Sandy Hook didn’t even happen according to some! All an Obama conspiracy that was faked allegedly...

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Sandy Hook didn’t even happen according to some! All an Obama conspiracy that was faked allegedly...
    And those people we call mental.

I see a Sandy Hook father sued and won against some conspiracy nutter. It was for defaming him rather than just being a nutter.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    And those people we call mental.

I see a Sandy Hook father sued and won against some conspiracy nutter. It was for defaming him rather than just being a nutter.

J
    In fairness, I don't think you can sue somebody for being a nutter. Even in the USA.