hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70

Abbeyhill Junction next stop??

Was on the North Berwick to Edinburgh train the other night when the onboard announcement stated it was stopping at Abbeyhill Junction.

It then came to a stop near Abbeyhill for a few minutes then left for Edinburgh.

Is this going to be a new stop for the new Meadowbank? Can't see anything online.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    There's a possible explanation here....

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads...nction.172602/

But with all those acronyms, I'm not sure I understood any of it!

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Where’s Hermit Crab when you need him

@hibs.net private member
    It was used for the Commonwealth Games in 1986 if I recall.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm sure I've been on an east coast train there before when the automated announcement said we were stopping then driver came on to say that it was a depot stop only to let a member of staff off.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure I've been on an east coast train there before when the automated announcement said we were stopping then driver came on to say that it was a depot stop only to let a member of staff off.
    That would make sense. It was an automated announcement and came up on the digital screen.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Was on the North Berwick to Edinburgh train the other night when the onboard announcement stated it was stopping at Abbeyhill Junction.

It then came to a stop near Abbeyhill for a few minutes then left for Edinburgh.

Is this going to be a new stop for the new Meadowbank? Can't see anything online.

Its whats called a pathing stop. Your train was maybe stopped to allow a departing service from Edinburgh to pass as the Carlton tunnels are only single track. Abbeyhill Jn actually exists and its just as you leave Calton tunnels, heading South from Edinburgh there used to be a line that headed round to the left where the old Abbeyhill station was situated, the line ran underneath the bridge on London rd basically beside the safari bar and from there you could go left towards the old Easter Rd station (the one under bridge on ER) or right towards Meadowbank. Both lines joined the current existing Powederhall branch which was recently mothballed.

There are no plans, AFAIK to reopen the station at Abbeyhill, all tracks through the old station were lifted maybe 10 years ago now.
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 19-10-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Abbeyhill Junction next stop??

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    It was used for the Commonwealth Games in 1986 if I recall.

Nope, that was the purpose built Meadowbank station which is behind the stadium on the Lochend side of the stadium. 1986 Commonwealth games.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    There are no plans, AFAIK to reopen the station at Abbeyhill, all tracks through the old station were lifted maybe 10 years ago now.
    There were active plans a few years back to stable "Borders" trains there overnight as Waverley is fairly congested. I'm not sure why it was eventually shelved but I reckon it had something to do with trains idling away in the wee hours feet away from the apartment development (copper clad?) on the corner of Abbey Lane and London Road.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    There were active plans a few years back to stable "Borders" trains there overnight as Waverley is fairly congested. I'm not sure why it was eventually shelved but I reckon it had something to do with trains idling away in the wee hours feet away from the apartment development (copper clad?) on the corner of Abbey Lane and London Road.

I did hear that they wanted to put a double battery end in at the old station to use for stabling overnight but I thought these would be EMU's so that noise would be minimal. They'd end up with smashed windows and spray paint all over them if they left units there overnight.

Gamer IDs

Thanks for the detailed replies guys. I still find it odd that it appeared on the digital announcement on the train. Even reminding people to take their belongings.

Was hoping that I could get off for Hibs games (or more likely get on there when I leave early when we are 3 down to Ross County).

I remember the Meadowbank halt/platform was used many years ago to drop rangers fans off, I came out of the Marionville bar and they were pouring out from the platform, not the best areas to drop them off, particularly as those pubs were full of hibs fans at the time. Anyone else remember that ?