hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Must he great to have no credit card debt, be mortgage free and know that your pension is well funded.

I mean you wouldn’t be giving your cash away to highly paid footballers if you hadn’t sorted yourself out first right?

I always here the mantra “only donate if you can afford it”.

Well, unless you’ve sorted out all of the above, you can’t afford it if you’re anything like the average person in the uk.

£20 a month over 20 years could mean thousands in your future self’s pocket.

Just think about that for a moment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given the constant debate about HSL every time they do something, the sooner the club sets up some type of subscription scheme, similar to Aberdeen’s, the better. Personally, I think the fact that they haven’t so far is one of the most damning failures of Dempster’s reign. Hopefully, Gordon’s on it.
    A scheme like Aberdeen's attracts VAT so there's one very good reason not to go down that track. HSL is a very straightforward concept that should make it easy to just lob a few extra quid at the club for those who wish to. And it's succeeded in that aim. Obviously Ron's takeover has changed the game quite a lot but I think the approach HSL have taken is a sensible one and means that supporters can have a say in where their contribution goes.

It's just unfortunate that the lack of clarity in some of the communication has led to endless debate on the minutiae of the setup but we can't expect a fully professional marketing and comms operation when it's being run by volunteers. I'm grateful to those that give up their own time to run it on our behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Must he great to have no credit card debt, be mortgage free and know that your pension is well funded.

I mean you wouldn’t be giving your cash away to highly paid footballers if you hadn’t sorted yourself out first right?

Well, unless you’ve sorted out all of the above, you can’t afford it if you’re anything like the average person in the uk.

Aye yer right, **** the season ticket for next season, no way am I going to help contribute to the already highly paid footballers, I will just ***** it on smokes, beers and fish suppers instead

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar

If a good number of people who can afford it make a small contribution (£20 equates to about a pint of been each week) we might see more days like we enjoyed in May 2016.

Just think about that for a moment!

HSL isn't perfect but some of us are happy to contribute. Why knock it at every opportunity?
    Last edited by hibbybob; 13-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

This is an argument for never doing anything ever.

Why are you buying tickets for football matches? Or anything you enjoy? It only eats into your pension...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    I don’t remember if they ever clarified if all members had a vote, or whether it was just current contributing members and part members. If 500 full members had a vote and no longer contributed it would affect the figures. To my mind, ALL MEMBERS should have been able to vote, but I think this goes back to the pig in a poke the club off loaded onto HSL.
    When it was announced that NEW shares were no longer available for HSL to purchase, existing DONATORS were given the opportunity to let HSL know whether the wanted THEIR donation to go, A to buy existing shares as and when any became available, B to the football management of the Club or, C divided 50/50 between A and B. The donation from any donor who didn't respond would be split between A and B in accordance with the final outcome of the responses which turned out to be 35% to A and 65% to B.

The donation from NEW donors from 1 Oct 19 will go 100% to the football management of the Club.

A lot of the recent confusion is due to the words "Vote" and "Poll" being used in announcements and posts when neither are appropriate on this occasion. My first para explains what it was but I can't think of a single word which would specify it unambiguously.

Looking forward to HSL's response!

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybob View Post
    If a good number of people who can afford it make a small contribution (£20 equates to about a pint of been each week) we might see more days like we enjoyed in May 2016.

Just think about that for a moment!

HSL isn't perfect but some of us are happy to contribute. Why knock it at every opportunity?
    You think giving more money to PH to spend will see more days like May 2016?

I admire your optimism!

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This is an argument for never doing anything ever.

Why are you buying tickets for football matches? Or anything you enjoy? It only eats into your pension...
    Not really. You’re taking it to extremes.

Someone earning, say £20k a year giving their cash to someone earning £200k a year?

You crack on but don’t ever complain about austerity or your standard of living!

Someone earning, say £20k a year giving their cash to someone earning £200k a year?

You crack on but don’t ever complain about austerity or your standard of living!
    Its not taking it to extremes, how much per year do you spend on hibs ? If you are a season ticket holder or a walk up fan then you are doing exactly the same as folk who contribute to HSL, Im not on a great wage but I contribute because I want to and I can afford to. No-one is forcing me to contribute and Im certainly not gonna piss my pants comparing my contributions to any loss of income.
    Last edited by MSK; 13-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar
    You think giving more money to PH to spend will see more days like May 2016?

I admire your optimism!
    Perhaps not - who knows - but at least I'm contributing to something I care about rather than discouraging others from doing so.

If your grievance is against PH and not HSL you're on the wrong thread.

And just for the record HSL pre-dates PH and 21/5/16 so probably did contribute to that wonderful day - even if just playing a small part in getting McGinn, McGeoch or Stokes to the club!

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandMoaner View Post
    Me too, I'm not done because of the split although I do question the 35 % for future shares that may or may not come available. My problem is I'm putting money into the club and the present owner is like the invisible man. I won't make a knee jerk reaction to his silence but I will not continue with my contribution past the end of November if the silence from the club stays the same. I think he is taking stock and I am prepared to give him time but he must keep the fans onside and complete silence is not the way.
    Pretty close to where I am at the moment, I worked out that Ron killed off what I wanted from HSL for the moment and thought I'd take stock to see if what comes next makes getting a protective share in the club via HSL a possibility again. If it doesn't I'll be interested in any alternative

Hoping the AGM might at least give us a clue, especially around what ponying up might amount to but i won't be interested in any more infrastructure or property investments which need to be a distant goal to the on the pitch offering for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Not on a great wage yet giving your cash away and I’m the daftie?!

Cool.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Do you spend no money following hibs?

This season so far I’ve bought 2 STs and 2 hospitality deals so probably around grand.

Not on a great wage yet giving your cash away and I’m the daftie?!

Cool.
    Im mortgage free, Ive no debt, Ive next to no outlay, I dont drive, I hardly drink, my Daughters have left home so arent leeching from me, every penny I earn is mines, so this ****ing dafty can do whatever he wants with his money, and if thats contributing to HSL then so be it, now why dont you toddle off and start a miserable anti HSL thread so you can grab yourself some much needed attention and leave us daftys alone 👍

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    This season so far I’ve bought 2 STs and 2 hospitality deals so probably around grand.
    So why moan about others spending money how they want, you have done the exact same but in a different format

A grand !! ****ing dafty, imagine contributing to those highly paid players wages !! 😆

You’re the one doing the name calling.

You’re in the fortunate position of being able to do what you want. Others aren’t so lucky.

First Team Regular
    I have just checked the official HSL website, and they are still claiming on the front page "to raise funds to acquire shares in Hibernian Football Club"
    This has been untrue since October 1st. I find this really unacceptable for HSL not to have changed the website or taking it down until it is corrected .
    Earlier on this thread i asked how HSL will deal with voting at the AGM with no reply . Anyone know? We now own 15.4% of our club, so if there is a vote on something at an AGM will we all be balloted on it first?

You’re the one doing the name calling.

You’re in the fortunate position of being able to do what you want. Others aren’t so lucky.
    Folk who contribute to HSL no matter how large or small a contribution do so because they can afford it, its that simple really so Im struggling to see your logic, other than to be an attention seeker. Ive no problems with anyone who contributes financially to hibs by whatever means, be it HSL, the club shop, or by attending matches, we (or most of us) want whats best for the club and that starts on the pitch, whether its PH at the helm or someone else Im happy to know that a portion of my cash is going on the team.

Left by mutual consent!

I thought the point was to get money to the club to help them buy more of these players.
    I'm skint, that's why I live abroad, its a cheaper lifestyle, but any little bit I can do to help provide success and allow us to compete with other teams at our level is worth it in my eyes.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Folk who contribute to HSL no matter how large or small a contribution do so because they can afford it, its that simple really so Im struggling to see your logic, other than to be an attention seeker. Ive no problems with anyone who contributes financially to hibs by whatever means, be it HSL, the club shop, or by attending matches, we (or most of us) want whats best for the club and that starts on the pitch, whether its PH at the helm or someone else Im happy to know that a portion of my cash is going on the team.
    i think there were a lot of us who didnt really have the money , but felt it extremely important to help hsl to get to the 25%(?) shareholding level which could save the club from a hostile takeover. This is very different from other club expenditure like match tickets, as it could potentially be about the very existence of our club.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Imagine that in 20 years!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by hongkonghibee View Post
    i think there were a lot of us who didnt really have the money , but felt it extremely important to help hsl to get to the 25%(?) shareholding level which could save the club from a hostile takeover. This is very different from other club expenditure like match tickets, as it could potentially be about the very existence of our club.
    Yes but things have moved on now haven't they, so Whilethechiefs finger wagging post is needless and nothing short of attention seeking. He doesn't contribute to HSL so why be concerned in what others do with their cash ?

Aye right enough. I’ve not read such guff on here for a long time.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Yes but things have moved on now haven't they, so Whilethechiefs finger wagging post is needless and nothing short of attention seeking. He doesn't contribute to HSL so why be concerned in what others do with their cash ?
    i think though that the poorest in society often give the most percentagewise to football clubs, and this should sometimes be acknowledged. i agree not in a finger wagging way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    A scheme like Aberdeen's attracts VAT so there's one very good reason not to go down that track. HSL is a very straightforward concept that should make it easy to just lob a few extra quid at the club for those who wish to. And it's succeeded in that aim. Obviously Ron's takeover has changed the game quite a lot but I think the approach HSL have taken is a sensible one and means that supporters can have a say in where their contribution goes.

It's just unfortunate that the lack of clarity in some of the communication has led to endless debate on the minutiae of the setup but we can't expect a fully professional marketing and comms operation when it's being run by volunteers. I'm grateful to those that give up their own time to run it on our behalf.
    It wasn’t a criticism of HSL. It was a point about there seemingly being lots of folk who could be paying regular money to Hibs who, for whatever reason, won’t contribute via HSL. At the moment, there is no alternative.

Not sure why VAT should stop something happening. Most of the money going into Hibs attracts VAT. They don’t shut up the shop as a result.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    It wasn’t a criticism of HSL. It was a point about there seemingly being lots of folk who could be paying regular money to Hibs who, for whatever reason, won’t contribute via HSL. At the moment, there is no alternative.

Not sure why VAT should stop something happening. Most of the money going into Hibs attracts VAT. They don’t shut up the shop as a result.
    i agree with beefster. Now that new donators to hsl are no longer getting shares in hibernian football club, it would be run much more efficiently in house by the club. they could then advertise it properly on the official site, which would easily make up for the lost VAT money. and they could easily offer incentives of shop discounts etc. I would much prefer that model.
    Meanwhile HSL can continue with its original aim of acquiring shares in the club as they become available.
    Now is the best time to seperate these two totally different things.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonghibee View Post
    i agree with beefster. Now that new donators to hsl are no longer getting shares in hibernian football club, it would be run much more efficiently in house by the club. they could then advertise it properly on the official site, which would easily make up for the lost VAT money. and they could easily offer incentives of shop discounts etc. I would much prefer that model.
    Meanwhile HSL can continue with its original aim of acquiring shares in the club as they become available.
    Now is the best time to seperate these two totally different things.
    I like the idea of a straight direct debit arrangement between the supporter and the Club. This would provide traceability/accountability in the knowledge that the individual donations have been transferred regularly. Perhaps its something that the Supporters Reps could look in to?

I have a problem with new donators becoming members and a say on the shareholding when they’ve never contributed to it - their donation will just be chucked at the club.

HSL wasn’t perfect, but I think it might have helped if RG, AP or LD had explained why the new owner wanted to rip up the share transfer agreement - I think it’s reasonable for HSL to be able to explain to its members why the club still wants us to donate but the club no longer wants to give us minority ownership through shares. I don’t necessarily think that’s a worry, but the lack of an explanation is worrying. Unless I’ve missed it - which is possible. LD for example must know she sits on both boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    When it was announced that NEW shares were no longer available for HSL to purchase, existing DONATORS were given the opportunity to let HSL know whether the wanted THEIR donation to go, A to buy existing shares as and when any became available, B to the football management of the Club or, C divided 50/50 between A and B. The donation from any donor who didn't respond would be split between A and B in accordance with the final outcome of the responses which turned out to be 35% to A and 65% to B.

The donation from NEW donors from 1 Oct 19 will go 100% to the football management of the Club.

A lot of the recent confusion is due to the words "Vote" and "Poll" being used in announcements and posts when neither are appropriate on this occasion. My first para explains what it was but I can't think of a single word which would specify it unambiguously.

Looking forward to HSL's response!