hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    @hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing that annoyed me about tonight is that it was all so bloody pointless.

We were never winning tonight, bring a few under 21’s in to the squad and start planning for the future.

Porteous, Gilmour and possibly Hornby wouldn’t have done any worse than what was out there tonight but they would have learned from it.

Start building a proper team and stop throwing random players in there hoping for a different result.
    Just go with 2 up top and have a go. **** all this one upfront pish it doesn’t work. For club and country in our case!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    Rip it up and start again.. said no one ever at the SFA

Abolish the national team

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    They didn’t offer as much as his new contract at NI. Thought he would come anyway.
    MON won one of his first 18 games in charge of Norn Ire. 1 in 18!?!?

Left by mutual consent!

We were never winning tonight, bring a few under 21’s in to the squad and start planning for the future.

Porteous, Gilmour and possibly Hornby wouldn’t have done any worse than what was out there tonight but they would have learned from it.

Start building a proper team and stop throwing random players in there hoping for a different result.
    Under 21's were also playing tonight who are trying to qualify for the Euro 21's so I doubt they would have wanted to weaken their team to allow a few youngsters get their ***** spanked in Russia

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    And conceded 17. Minus 12 goals.

We are becoming one of the whipping boys.
    no we're not as apparently there's no easy games in international football

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    That's what I was getting at earlier in the thread. As usual the sack Clarke brigade won't acknowledge the O'Neil stats.....

@hibs.net private member
    Had Russia -3. 💯💯💯

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    That's what I was getting at earlier in the thread. As usual the sack Clarke brigade won't acknowledge the O'Neil stats.....
    I’m not in the sack Clarke brigade. Doubt it will make any difference. Nothing will change until the SFA is changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I’m not in the sack Clarke brigade. Doubt it will make any difference. Nothing will change until the SFA is changed.

I've been saying exactly that for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Ive seen this written a few times. Im genuinely interested in what changes can be made to improve the national team? Do you mean youth development?

After the San Marino game it must be goodbye and good luck to 33 and a half year old Charlie Mulgrew.
    Championship Blackburn have already done this because Tony Mowbray recognised that his deficiencies now outweigh his positives. He is a midfielder playing at centre half. Good on the ball and good passer but not a winner of the ball on the ground or in the air.

He does his best but we need robust central defenders for nights like tonight.

Centre Halves available are in ascending order:
    Down South
    Cooper
    Hanley

Up Here

McKenna
    Soutter
    Porteous

We might even be better playing 3 centre halves AFTER the San Marino game

Porteous is the only one i would confidently critique because i don't see enough of the rest to give an informed opinion
    He is undoubtably a tough tackler
    In the air - not bad but the likes of the goal he conceded against Cosgrove at the weekend was poor and the big wardrobe who played up front for Russia tonight is far better and stronger than Sam C so could be exposed.
    On the ball - reliable but basic.
    I think he will be in the full Scotland squad by the start of next season if he can keep clear of injuries and get another 30 games in.

Personally i would play McKenna, Porteous and Soutter with Robertson & Tierney covering back and moving forward either side of the back 3.
    Couldn't be weaker than what we presently have.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 10-10-2019 at 09:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Under 21's were also playing tonight who are trying to qualify for the Euro 21's so I doubt they would have wanted to weaken their team to allow a few youngsters get their ***** spanked in Russia
    The under 21‘s qualifying for anything means nothing in the bigger picture I’m afraid, well imo anyway.

The best under 21’s throughout the world are playing for their senior side so any under 21’s doing well is basically the best of the second best under 21’s.

The under 21’s could get pumped 10 nil but if the best young players have a pathway to the first team then it’s a job done.

The fact we see the under 21’s as a competitive tournament rather than a way of progressing players to the first team is part of the problem.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make?
    That he was given time to turn things around, unlike those who would be all for dismissing Steve Clarke already.....

Porteous has the best chance because their is so little quality in his position
    Gilmour - good player but no need to dump him in that Scotland team given there are decent players in his position
    Hornby - plays like an under 21 player and has struggled to make an impact in the U21 games i have watched including this evening.

I certainly agree it was pointless playing Mulgrew tonight

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Porteous has the best chance because their is so little quality in his position
    Gilmour - good player but no need to dump him in that Scotland team given there are decent players in his position
    Hornby - plays like an under 21 player and has struggled to make an impact in the U21 games i have watched including this evening.

I certainly agree it was pointless playing Mulgrew tonight
    What about Hanlon.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    What about Hanlon.
    2 years ago almost everyone on here (including me) was screaming for him to be included. Even you must admit his form's gone downhill and he has to somehow get back to that form before he can be considered.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    That he was given time to turn things around, unlike those who would be all for dismissing Steve Clarke already.....
    I've been saying for years that the manager isn't the problem with Scotland. The players we have and the failure of the SFA to get a good youth system up and running is.

They'll be delighted the fans always lambast the manager, and they'll be really ****ing relieved that FIFA suspends you if your government, say, wants to rip you up and start again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    2 years ago almost everyone on here (including me) was screaming for him to be included. Even you must admit his form's gone downhill and he has to somehow get back to that form before he can be considered.
    Best CH in the league for the last 3 games. Bang in form. 😂

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    Surely this should be part of the non-Hibs games thread? Otherwise, what is the point in that thread?

Would also mean that I'm not reminded of last nights result if it was when I come on here

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WalterSobzcek
    Clarke needs to be given years to sort this out.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Clarke needs to be given years to sort this out.
    Yup. Give him all the time he wants, he's the man for the job.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    I've been saying for years that the manager isn't the problem with Scotland. The players we have and the failure of the SFA to get a good youth system up and running is.

They'll be delighted the fans always lambast the manager, and they'll be really ****ing relieved that FIFA suspends you if your government, say, wants to rip you up and start again.
    That's true and I am certainly not in favour of laying the blame at Clarke's door or calling for his head...but we have definitely gone backwards since Strachan. By the end of his tenure we were competitive and well drilled with a bit of passion as well. We seem to have lost all of this and gone backwards.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    What about Hanlon.
    Should be concentrating on keeping his place in the Hibs team.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    That's true and I am certainly not in favour of laying the blame at Clarke's door or calling for his head...but we have definitely gone backwards since Strachan. By the end of his tenure we were competitive and well drilled with a bit of passion as well. We seem to have lost all of this and gone backwards.
    Agree totally we were pretty good near the end of Strachans campaign. Only should have got rid if better was signed and sealed. The Michael O'Neill approach was shambolic and to then bring McLeish in dear oh dear.

Yup. Give him all the time he wants, he's the man for the job.
    Definitely needs time however all performances since he has taken over have been very poor. Maybe more suited to club management which allows you to drill a team defensively day after day. He obviously done an amazing job at Killie however his teams were functional and quite defensive rather than good to watch. First thing I would do would be to take captaincy from Robertson as think he is carrying the weight of that a bit and affecting his performances.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 13-10-2019 at 07:11 AM.

This, Govt should step in anyway. As there´s no way in the near future this sad state of affairs is going to change who gives a **** about being suspended, bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

Personally i would play McKenna, Porteous and Soutter with Robertson & Tierney covering back and moving forward either side of the back 3.
    Couldn't be weaker than what we presently have.
    I see where you're coming from with this. However - when a team's playing poorly there's always that trade-off between bolstering areas in which you're weak and making the most of your strengths.

I would worry that playing the formation you suggest would imply playing fewer of our better players further up the pitch in midfield and wide areas.

You would obviously want both Tierney and Robertson in the side but three central defenders would mean one fewer in midfield and probably no other wide players.

Midfield is probably our strongest area. Our best options include McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Christie and Armstrong whilst we have Forrest and Fraser in wide areas.

You'd want to include as many of those as you can wouldn't you?