hibs.net Messageboard

International break

With yet another international break this week - I was wondering if we had any players in the squad on first team international duty? I remember there being a statement of sorts last season as we had 7 internationalists but haven’t seen any comment from Hibs website.

If we’ve none like I suspect then it’s come at the wrong time for us, as we were picking up form. Although it does give PH another 2 weeks with squad to implement game plan. If no internationalists in team should we be trying to recruit internationalists or is it a beneficial not to have them?
    Last edited by 1875-Hibernia; 06-10-2019 at 09:29 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It doesn’t feel 2 minutes ago sadly that I had hoped the last international break was what we maybe needed to kick start our season. Suppose you can say there has been an improvement so on that basis we are going to win the cup, the be 3rd by xmas 😉

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Slivka and Marciano likely to be away.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slivka and Marciano likely to be away.
    Slivka's injured he broke a bone in his ankle a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    It doesn’t feel 2 minutes ago sadly that I had hoped the last international break was what we maybe needed to kick start our season. Suppose you can say there has been an improvement so on that basis we are going to win the cup, the be 3rd by xmas 😉
    IMO we’ve done what was needed and not lose- Celtic and Aberdeen game we’re always going to be tough. In to the Semi too, so that suggests last break did us well. Hopefully with very few away playing for their country we respond even better after this break.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Slivka's injured he broke a bone in his ankle a few weeks ago.
    Possibly one player not enough for Hibs to comment on then? I think it gives us a bit of an advantage - in terms of keeping players together and fresh.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Porteous and Middleton are away with Under 21’s
    Playing Lithuania at Tynecastle on Thursday, 5.15pm KO

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Porteous and Middleton are away with Under 21’s
    Playing Lithuania at Tynecastle on Thursday, 5.15pm KO

I would like to see Porteous make the step up to first team - although the game time can't be doing him harm.

Bit frustrating this one as we've improved considerably. Might be a chance to regroup again and get ready for our next group of games. Rocky and Slivka aren't playing anyway so will pretty much be a full complement on the training pitch.
    Last edited by Since452; 07-10-2019 at 01:54 PM.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ****ing hate the international break😡. Wish we could go back to the midweek internationals like when we used to qualify for tournaments?😎

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    ****ing hate the international break😡. Wish we could go back to the midweek internationals like when we used to qualify for tournaments?😎
    I was in primary 6 or 7 last time we qualified - I vaguely mind being ecstatic with my mates after school about it. Since then it’s been dreary and something I’ve lost all interest in.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Bit frustrating this one as we've improved considerably. Might be a chance to regroup again and get ready for our next group of games. Rocky and Slivka aren't playing anyway so will pretty much be a full complement on the training pitch.
    I would agree. I feel short-term we’re at an advantage not having a host of first team international players. Hopefully the time is used well!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    In order to qualify we need to win the "tie" against Russia (i.e. win by two goals, or win by one and score 3+) and then win all our remaining games and hope Russia lose all theirs bar San Marino.

Basically, if we don't batter Russia and San Marino then the next few international weekends are going to be even more boring.

Hibs must be watching - they’ve just updated us with players away on duty. I feel Shaw is being hard done by both country and club level.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    In order to qualify we need to win the "tie" against Russia (i.e. win by two goals, or win by one and score 3+) and then win all our remaining games and hope Russia lose all theirs bar San Marino.

Basically, if we don't batter Russia and San Marino then the next few international weekends are going to be even more boring.
    Steve Clarke basically admitted that we had no chance of qualifying from the group and it's now all down to the play offs.

Qualification through the group was done after the horror show in Kazakhstan on matchday 1.