hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doidge

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure that doing nothing as an 18 year old fits the opposite argument at all. Obviously the superstars of this world are doing well by 18 years old but there are many decent players who don't start showing their full potential until they're into their 20s. Particularly with someone like Cummings who had (and possibly still has) somewhat of a maturity issue.

I also wouldn't say that having a decent goalscoring record in the fourth and fifth tiers of English football and also in the Welsh league proves that a striker is capable of scoring goals in the Scottish Premiership.

It's a pretty significant step up.
    Doidge was a goal every second game in the English 4th tier, and therefore was being looked at by English third tier sides, let's remember, the league that Jason Cummings, Dylan McGeough are doing average/ok/decent enough in. Like it or not (and none of us do) but that's the financial marketplace we're operating in. Turning up our noses at English League Two is just ignorant. I've watched some absolute pish football in the spfl this season.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 06-10-2019 at 11:58 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    He will come good IMO. Just needs a goal and then hopefully the floodgates will open. Strikers play on confidence and I think he is lacking that a little bit just now. Needs to be more ruthless!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    He only cost £130k -not £350k as has been spun by the Board.

We won't spend decent money on the anchor positions, Centre Midfield, Centre Forward that require you to spend a bit of money to guarantee you a bit of quality.

To me he looks like a raw laddie that lacks composure, not a 30-year old experienced player, but then his "experience" is in the 3rd and 4th tier of English football.

£130k really does get you what you pay for.
    350,000k is another .net myth. I’m not sure what kind of money you would expect Hibs to spend in order to guarantee quality, but I suspect for it to be pretty cast iron it would take finances we’ll never have.

Just in the interest of accuracy though, Doidge turned 27 just over a month ago, it’ll be season 2022-23 before he is a 30 year old experienced player.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Doidge was a goal every second game in the English 4th tier, and therefore was being looked at by English third tier sides, let's remember, the league that Jason Cummings, Dylan McGeough are doing average/ok/decent enough in. Like it or not (and none of us do) but that's the financial marketplace we're operating in. Turning up our noses at English League Two is just ignorant. I've watched some absolute pish football in the spfl this season.
    I'm not saying we should turn our nose up at English League Two players, I'm aware there are decent players at that level but that's where your scouts come into play.

League Two is the market we're operating in only because of the financial disparity between English and Scottish football. The overall standard in the Scottish Premiership is much higher than in the English League Two so all I'm saying is being prolific at that level does not necessarily mean that the player will be prolific in the Scottish Premiership.

I genuinely hope that Doidge comes good and proves me wrong. I'm not so sure that he will though.