hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Advice

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

Dog Advice

We have a 4 month old rescue dog arriving on Saturday. I've read up a fair bit, bought pretty much everything we could need.

Looking for any tips or advice from both seasoned dog owners and anyone who has had a rescue dog before. This one is 57 varieties but clearly has either whippet or lurcher in there somewhere.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Keep it away from the entrance to my stair. 😊

Rescue dogs take patience. They haven't always had the best starts in life and dogs that haven't been trained in the basics in the 1st few months of their life take longer to pick things up than those that have. Bringing a new dog into the house can be a bit nerve wracking for us and we understand what it going on, dogs don't totally comprehend it and are suddenly thrust into a new environment with new sights, sounds and smells.

Be patient, reward good behaviour, positively reinforce when he does things right and lavish him with praise. If you put the work in with training and making the dog feel at home then you'll be rewarded a hundred times over with what dogs give back.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rescue dogs take patience. They haven't always had the best starts in life and dogs that haven't been trained in the basics in the 1st few months of their life take longer to pick things up than those that have. Bringing a new dog into the house can be a bit nerve wracking for us and we understand what it going on, dogs don't totally comprehend it and are suddenly thrust into a new environment with new sights, sounds and smells.

Be patient, reward good behaviour, positively reinforce when he does things right and lavish him with praise. If you put the work in with training and making the dog feel at home then you'll be rewarded a hundred times over with what dogs give back.
    Thanks PB, appreciate it. I'm planning an initially quite intensive (for us) two weeks of settling her in, basic positive reinforcement training and giving her lots of time, peace and reassurance to learn her new environment. And an early vet visit to check her basic health is good.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    We have rescued three dogs in the past and all have been absolutely amazing dogs. Take your time with them and you will get it right. I would also consider taking it to training classes. They do work and the folk taking them can seem a bit ott sometimes but they really do know their stuff. We are now onto dog number five, not a rescue, and it doesn't really matter if yours is a rescue as at 4 months you are only about a month later than you would have been if you had got him/her from a breeder. As long as the dog hasn't come from an abusive home you should be fine. Good luck

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    We have rescued three dogs in the past and all have been absolutely amazing dogs. Take your time with them and you will get it right. I would also consider taking it to training classes. They do work and the folk taking them can seem a bit ott sometimes but they really do know their stuff. We are now onto dog number five, not a rescue, and it doesn't really matter if yours is a rescue as at 4 months you are only about a month later than you would have been if you had got him/her from a breeder. As long as the dog hasn't come from an abusive home you should be fine. Good luck
    That's really encouraging to hear WCH. She's from a litter of pups that were all rescued and apparently no abuse involved. I'm keen on the idea of training classes so your confirmation that they work is encouraging. Any tips on settling her in for the first few days or week? There are four of us in the house and the kids are 15 and 13, so well past the age where they are small, noisy and scary for animals.

It will take a lot of time but it will also depend on the dogs background (family dog, stray) and the circumstances where they ended up where they did.

We got a rescue dog back in February (lurcher/saluki type) and it's only recently that's she allows me to put the harness on. She was terrified of men but her relationship with my wife has always been great.

You may find peeing/pooing inside to mark territory but shouldn't last long. Also if it finds somewhere to go that's a "safe place" let the dog have it and make sure that it's known that that's the dogs space.

It'll take time but building trust is a massive thing. If you're not sure about recall etc. there is a dog park in kirkliston that you can book for 1/2 slots.

Enjoy the dog!!!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    It will take a lot of time but it will also depend on the dogs background (family dog, stray) and the circumstances where they ended up where they did.

We got a rescue dog back in February (lurcher/saluki type) and it's only recently that's she allows me to put the harness on. She was terrified of men but her relationship with my wife has always been great.

You may find peeing/pooing inside to mark territory but shouldn't last long. Also if it finds somewhere to go that's a "safe place" let the dog have it and make sure that it's known that that's the dogs space.

It'll take time but building trust is a massive thing. If you're not sure about recall etc. there is a dog park in kirkliston that you can book for 1/2 slots.

Enjoy the dog!!!
    We're going to keep her in the kitchen at first - its quite large, there's plenty of traffic from humans but not so direct as to make her feel vulnerable and she will have an open cage. It's also a hard floor so probably best for initial toilet training. Someone had suggested putting a pad down to encourage her to use that and then slowly moving it to the kitchen back door and then outside. Are there any reliable methods for toilet training?

I think her litter were either strays or couldn't be managed in the home they were in - either way she was rescued at around three months.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    That's really encouraging to hear WCH. She's from a litter of pups that were all rescued and apparently no abuse involved. I'm keen on the idea of training classes so your confirmation that they work is encouraging. Any tips on settling her in for the first few days or week? There are four of us in the house and the kids are 15 and 13, so well past the age where they are small, noisy and scary for animals.
    Make sure you get something that has her family smell on, a blanket or something. Get her a "safe" space where she can go in her own. We had a cage in the kitchen that ours used. They will get used to that being their bed as well. And then put in the blanket in their and they will feel safe in there and settle quickly. Good that she has been in a litter and looked after, you need to remember that she has left her family and now you are her family so make sure she is getting lots of attention and make sure you remember to reward good behaviour even when playing

Lots off good advice already given, the open cage as it’s own safe place is good, we were given a sock with her litters scent on which we put in the cage.
    We have had two dogs and found the toilet training happened a lot easier and quicker than expected. We put our dogs on lead once every hour, took them out and let them walk around the lawn, with me saying, “go toilet” two or three times. Give them five minutes or so then back indoors. Eventually they will perform, and you should then give lots of praise and perhaps a treat, I used the words “ good toilet”, as re enforcement.
    You will be surprised how quickly they learn, our dogs only took two or three days, they then started to let us know when they wanted out.
    It was quite funny, when after a few days we realised one off the dogs went out and pretended to toilet in order to get a treat.
    You will all enjoy having a dog in the family, they are wonderful.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Lots off good advice already given, the open cage as it’s own safe place is good, we were given a sock with her litters scent on which we put in the cage.
    We have had two dogs and found the toilet training happened a lot easier and quicker than expected. We put our dogs on lead once every hour, took them out and let them walk around the lawn, with me saying, “go toilet” two or three times. Give them five minutes or so then back indoors. Eventually they will perform, and you should then give lots of praise and perhaps a treat, I used the words “ good toilet”, as re enforcement.
    You will be surprised how quickly they learn, our dogs only took two or three days, they then started to let us know when they wanted out.
    It was quite funny, when after a few days we realised one off the dogs went out and pretended to toilet in order to get a treat.
    You will all enjoy having a dog in the family, they are wonderful.
    That's excellent. Makes me think of the scene in Jurassic Park when Bob Peck says "clever girl" as he realises that the Velociraptors have been stalking him when he thought that he was hunting them.

And the advice is gratefully received too. Thanks. We can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Make sure you get something that has her family smell on, a blanket or something. Get her a "safe" space where she can go in her own. We had a cage in the kitchen that ours used. They will get used to that being their bed as well. And then put in the blanket in their and they will feel safe in there and settle quickly. Good that she has been in a litter and looked after, you need to remember that she has left her family and now you are her family so make sure she is getting lots of attention and make sure you remember to reward good behaviour even cwhen playing
    Got a pup recently it came from a litter of pedigree pups he came with a item of clothing with the mother’s sent on it. The item happens to be a Hibs scarf. Wellcome wee Bernie (Hi ———— n

Rescued a Yorkshire terrier a few years back, he was around 5 or 6 when we got him, he was my soul mate when I was struggling with depression, an absolute rock who was with me every waking day until he took his last breath. Some things are just meant to be, someones loss was most definitely my gain, but I hope I gave him as as much care, love, joy and attention as he gave me.

Enjoy your dog mate and well done you and others on here for giving those beautiful animals a safe and loving home 👍

Everything said here is great advice, seconded all the way.

Be patient, lots of affection and praise, and you’ll get back every ounce of love the dog can give and your family.

Enjoy every moment mate

Gamer IDs

Thanks to all for the dog advice.

She's been with us just over two weeks now and she's an absolute joy. Fantastic temperament - wants to give and get affection all the time, doesn't bark, charms everyone she meets, house trained within two weeks and sleeps straight through the night down stairs no bother.

Best of all she just brings calm and de-stress. These things should be prescribed to people who are lonely or unhappy if they're fit to own them.

I reluctantly called the vet yesterday afternoon to make an appointment to get our dog euthanized.

He's 14 and been with us since he was 4 weeks. Sadly he's deteriorated rather sharply in the last six months so we made the decision over the weekend not to prolong his suffering.

I'm dreading the day.

Thanks to all for the dog advice.

She's been with us just over two weeks now and she's an absolute joy. Fantastic temperament - wants to give and get affection all the time, doesn't bark, charms everyone she meets, house trained within two weeks and sleeps straight through the night down stairs no bother.

Best of all she just brings calm and de-stress. These things should be prescribed to people who are lonely or unhappy if they're fit to own them.
    I work in stroke & medicine of the elderly & they sometimes bring in therapets to the ward, beautiful dogs & so uplifting for the patients particularly dog owners who have been in hospital for a while

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    I reluctantly called the vet yesterday afternoon to make an appointment to get our dog euthanized.

He's 14 and been with us since he was 4 weeks. Sadly he's deteriorated rather sharply in the last six months so we made the decision over the weekend not to prolong his suffering.

I'm dreading the day.
    Horrible mate, thoughts to you & family

Gamer IDs

I'm dreading the day.

That's miserable, man-hug to you. I'm beginning to truly understand why they're called man's best friend.

I'm dreading the day.
    My heart goes out to you. My lab will be 10 soon and is still full of beans but I'm already dreading that day. The whole family is going to be in bits.

I'm dreading the day.
    Not nice at all. Mine turned 1 on Sunday and when I watch my other half and her it's heart breaking to think of what you'll go through.

All you can do I rest assured you did the very best thing for him when he needed it most. And cherish the memories. Be sure to post or Pm when the time comes for any support you need.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar

I'm dreading the day.
    We had a cat for 17 years and had to get her euthanized, she was really poorly.
    My kids were primary school age at the time and had known the cat all their lives.
    When I returned from the vet's without her and had to tell them she wasn't coming home they were understandably really upset.
    But the worst thing was the look I got from them, I'll never forget it. It was as if I had done something really terrible, I felt like a criminal.
    It's a horrible thing to go through and we've never had another pet of our own since, couldn't handle having to do that again.

Thanks so much for the very kind words guys.
    I've never had to do this before and I've left the appointment until Friday week so everyone can say goodbye.

I really can't look him in the eye just now.

I've never had to do this before and I've left the appointment until Friday week so everyone can say goodbye.

Mate I was all teary eyed when I jetted off to Italy for 10 days, Im not an emotional person but dugs just tear at my heart strings. I lost my Yorkshire terrier a few years ago & theres never a day goes by that I dont miss him, stay strong bud 👍

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Just remember, Angels don’t always have wings, sometimes they have paws. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    It's the kindest thing to do in most cases. Unlike letting humans suffer till their last breath.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Just remember, Angels don’t always have wings, sometimes they have paws. My thoughts go out to you and your family.
    Like. Like. Like.

@hibs.net private member
    Absolutely this. Plus the peace which comes from regular long walks with dog.

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Mate I was all teary eyed when I jetted off to Italy for 10 days, Im not an emotional person but dugs just tear at my heart strings. I lost my Yorkshire terrier a few years ago & theres never a day goes by that I dont miss him, stay strong bud 👍
    Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Lovely words SH