hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Interesting day’s play today.

Most of the Windies got themselves into a start but only a couple could progress. Nevertheless it gave them a lead on a pitch that will reward batting tomorrow but has to be flaky if it gets to day five, which it will almost certainly will.

For me, the last ten overs, when England came back into bat, were what Test cricket is all about. Real cat and mouse. Some fine bowling from the Windies and some sensible, cautious and patient batting from the England openers
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

One day to go, a fifth day pitch, England with a lead of 170 and two wickets in hand.

This is what makes Test cricket one of the most exquisite things in the world!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Deserved victory for the Windies I thought.

Shannon Gabriel bowled ever so well and the middle order did the job in the fourth innings to seal victory.

Also nice to see the match go to the last session of the final day, same as the last tour at Headingley.

Stokes and Holder looks like shaping up to be one of those personal battles that brings an added frisson to a series.

My personal highlight was when Holder and Blackwood were at the crease. Holder is six foot seven, Blackwood is a short guy to say the least. It was like a dad and a primary-age son batting together!

Never been to the Aegas Bowl in Southampton but it looks a nice ground. Once normality resumes it may be a trip to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Deserved victory for the Windies I thought.

Shannon Gabriel bowled ever so well and the middle order did the job in the fourth innings to seal victory.

Also nice to see the match go to the last session of the final day, same as the last tour at Headingley.

Stokes and Holder looks like shaping up to be one of those personal battles that brings an added frisson to a series.

My personal highlight was when Holder and Blackwood were at the crease. Holder is six foot seven, Blackwood is a short guy to say the least. It was like a dad and a primary-age son batting together!

Never been to the Aegas Bowl in Southampton but it looks a nice ground. Once normality resumes it may be a trip to make.
    Great to see the Windies doing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Great to see the Windies doing so well.
    Yeah, I know it varies but I think because of their home pitches, and also the bowlers they produce and how they can bowl on tour, the Windies and Pakistan are a delight when on form. Either one of those two, or ideally both being stronger, would be great for the Test game.

As it stands, we obviously have Australia, India, England and New Zealand on form, more so on home turf. South Africa are in a funny state where they have young talent coming through, but not quite settled yet. The Sri Lankans are hard to call, but definitely stronger at home. Same for the newer nations so far, but that might change.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Great innings from Stokes and Sibley today and good to see a windies spinner taking five wickets. England must be kicking themselves for not reviewing that late Curran delivery. I was actually thinking that under the var system in football it would be reviewed automatically, I think I prefer the cricket method though as it adds to the drama, whereas var in football takes something away from the enjoyment.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Great innings from Stokes and Sibley today and good to see a windies spinner taking five wickets. England must be kicking themselves for not reviewing that late Curran delivery. I was actually thinking that under the var system in football it would be reviewed automatically, I think I prefer the cricket method though as it adds to the drama, whereas var in football takes something away from the enjoyment.
    DRS certainly adds drama because on TV you see every step, from front foot through to the ball pitching, the snicker and then the projection onto stumps. Plus you have the captain’s gamble of losing a review, though I think batsmen generally know if they were safe in terms of bat onto pads and the bowler and keeper have a fair sense of whether it would have gone on to the stumps. And generally umpires get it right, though there was a series recently (in the last couple of years) where the on field umpires had an absolute nightmare with overturned decisions, cannot for the life of me recall which one -England v NZ maybe?

Really pleased for Sibley. It is very early days in his England career but he looks like he might be just what England were crying out for in an opener. He will need to show it against world-class bowlers on pitches in the sub-continent, the Southern Hemisphere and the Caribbean though.

Entertaining stuff this morning, Stokes in full flow.

West Indies needs 312 to win, England have 85 overs to bowl them out.

United we stand here....

Campbell goes for 4 in the first over after a review.

United we stand here....

West Indies 3 down for 23 runs. 2 wickets for Broad and 1 for Woakes.

United we stand here....

Only one winner now.

Really enjoyable test match, England will be delighted, but the West Indies must be kicking themselves after that collapse on day 4. What I find fascinating is who England will select to bowl for the final game. Are they going to look to the future with Archer and Wood or do they go with Broad and Anderson? Broad made a good point last week when he said he always gets coupled with Anderson, but he’s 4 years younger than Anderson. Anderson has taken 170 wickets in the last 4 years so Broad could easily do the same. Woakes and Curran is another conundrum, Woakes has an excellent record in England and Curran consistently gets wickets. One things for sure, they can’t all play.

United we stand here....

That Cornwall guy is a big geezer. There’s not many professional sportsman that size.

United we stand here....

That Cornwall guy is a big geezer. There’s not many professional sportsman that size.
    22 stone. Good bowler though.
    Cougars!!!

The catch he took yesterday was a beauty. Super sharp reaction from the big guy.

England currently in the middle of yet another collapse. Four wickets down this morning for 22 runs, and now in danger of failing to break 300 when they must have had their sights set on 450 this morning.

By the way let's put to bed the nonsense that Archer is an all-rounder. He's a tail-ender in for his bowling.

And up steps Broad with the bat.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    And up steps Broad with the bat.
    That 450's back on the menu, boys!

More to the point, the ball's seaming extravagantly. Anderson, Archer and Broad will be licking their lips.

The W Indies bowled very naively today. Slinging down short stuff to Broad in that mood cost them vital runs in a game where runs will be precious.

End of play. They're off early for bad light. Apparently, it's not that bad but they came off yesterday at a certain reading so they have to come off every day following when it reaches that reading. Cricket really is good at shooting itself in the foot.

Anyway, the game has moved on a lot today with 12 wickets falling. The ball is jagging about. If the teams can get enough playing time then a result seems certain. England in a very strong position to win.

Superb by Broad. God knows why they left him out of the first test.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Superb by Broad. God knows why they left him out of the first test.
    I think I speculated earlier that Broad was maybe starting to be eased aside in anticipation of a refreshed pace attack for the next Ashes.

i am willing to consider it might have been astute man management now, designed to provoke a reaction, and England certainly got that.

He has been a great bowler for them and occasionally can throw the bat around yet I have always found him difficult as a player to warm to.

I think I speculated earlier that Broad was maybe starting to be eased aside in anticipation of a refreshed pace attack for the next Ashes.

i am willing to consider it might have been astute man management now, designed to provoke a reaction, and England certainly got that.

He has been a great bowler for them and occasionally can throw the bat around yet I have always found him difficult as a player to warm to.
    That’s your Aussie leanings coming to the fore

United we stand here....

Sad to see how weak W Indies have become.

That’s your Aussie leanings coming to the fore
    Mibbes Aye 0, c and b Lord Bunberry

Mibbes Aye 0, c and b Lord Bunberry

United we stand here....

The marmite-esque* Broad gets his 500th test wicket. Windies 3 down and praying for rain.

* does vegemite have the same love/hate thing?

Broad is a fantastic cricketer but is forever tainted by his non walk against the Aussies.

To this day I wonder how / why Aleem Dar never gave him out.

Windies unravelling now - 79/5. They need that rain and quickly!