hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    ... and the rain arrives - early lunch though, so Windies need to keep up the rain dances.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Facile victory for England to take the series. 10 wickets in the match for Broad.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Facile victory for England to take the series. 10 wickets in the match for Broad.

Just in time though, it's been raining since they got the last man out.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Broad is a fantastic cricketer but is forever tainted by his non walk against the Aussies.

To this day I wonder how / why Aleem Dar never gave him out.
    Because he thought Broad missed it and the ball deflected off the keeper's gloves to slip. He got the first bit wrong - Broad did edge it but not straight to slip as is often assumed. In fact the big deviation is not from Broad's bat but from the keeper's gloves.

Hardly anyone walks these days. Was Broad doing anything different from the players who edge to third slip and stands waiting for the umpire's finger? He probably expected to be given out and thought "Wow! That's a wee Brucie. Take that".

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Because he thought Broad missed it and the ball deflected off the keeper's gloves to slip. He got the first bit wrong - Broad did edge it but not straight to slip as is often assumed. In fact the big deviation is not from Broad's bat but from the keeper's gloves.

Hardly anyone walks these days. Was Broad doing anything different from the players who edge to third slip and stands waiting for the umpire's finger? He probably expected to be given out and thought "Wow! That's a wee Brucie. Take that".
    Yes I get all that. But Dar is an elite umpire, it was spin bowling and a huge nick.

Very few people walk but Broad just brought the all round cheating (as that's what it is) into the limelight.

I'm not bothered either way. Pro's cheat in all sports and if it was today it would have been interesting to see if he would have walked or waited for DRS to send him packing.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Sad to see how weak W Indies have become.
    It is funny because I saw a fair bit of them on their last tour in England and had high hopes that the younger players they were bleeding in could raise them up a level.

I think a particular disappointment is the drop in form of Shai Hope. Last tour he scored memorable centuries in both innings at Headingley. He hasn’t made much impact on this tour.

On the plus side they do have some depth in bowling, albeit carrying some injuries just now, and Holder is relatively young to be captain and rated as one of the best all-rounders in the world. At bat, I think Hetmyer has natural talent but similarly to Dowrich he needs to be able to play Test cricket, not TV cricket.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I'd expect the Pakistan tests to be a bit tougher. There's some experienced guys in their squad plus a teenage pace sensation Naseem Shah.

I'd expect the Pakistan tests to be a bit tougher. There's some experienced guys in their squad plus a teenage pace sensation Naseem Shah.

Shah is certainly quite the the young talent.

I love Pakistan, they can be be brilliant or an absolute shambles and usually no middle ground. Just like watching Hibs.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Tougher test as expected against experienced batsmen. Mind you the pacemen didn't bowl too well earlier.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Tougher test as expected against experienced batsmen. Mind you the pacemen didn't bowl too well earlier.
    England were all over the place once the new ball had worn off. There was a lot of bounce of the pitch that made lbw unlikely and Pakistan took full advantage.

United we stand here....

Poor batting performance from the guys at the top of the England batting order yesterday evening.

Great bowling performance from England today after a pitiful batting performance. England looked happy to stick around and block rather than take the game to Pakistan. All credit to Pakistan who bowled beautifully in the morning. Watching Pakistan is a bit like watching hibs, sometimes sublime, and sometimes dreadful. I still think Pakistan will win it though, they have real pace and quality spin.

United we stand here....

A fine victory for England inside 4 days today, enthralling stuff.

I have been neglecting this thread sadly, and this match has plenty going on.

Hard to see how England don’t win this Test and the series.

A huge batting effort from Zak Crawley that signals his ability, though also sets himself a high bar! Buttler showing he can bat for a lengthy period, which he needed because Foakes is very much pressing him for the gloves. And Jimmy Anderson narrowing in on 600 wickets.

I don’t think Pakistan have actually been that bad, but the pitch was relatively friendly for the first innings and the weather meant Anderson was always likely to get something.

Finally we’re going to get some play today. Draw looks long odds on, but it would be nice for Anderson to take 600 wickets.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Finally we’re going to get some play today. Draw looks long odds on, but it would be nice for Anderson to take 600 wickets.
    ... and there it is, #600.

Some going!

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    ... and there it is, #600.

Some going!
    Fantastic achievement.

United we stand here....

Fantastic achievement.
    Outstanding effort.

I have neglected this thread, what with work, impending Christmas and various other things but what a game between Australia and India in the first Test in Adelaide!

I am sure most of us would have expected it to go the fourth day, maybe the fifth, but it was not to be.

India’s first innings was below par - a funny phrase because it is positive in golf and negative in cricket.

Australia’s response wasn’t great. They kept themselves in touching distance through the efforts of Marcus Lebuschagne, but especially the skip Tim Paine.

India’s second innings was an unmitigated disaster. 36 all out and no one getting into double figures. That left Australia with a low target to seal the game.

The Australian batting order was somewhat different than would have been planned but the bowling unit was the top team - Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood and Lyon - and they were ruthless, Pat Cummins the star for me.

On to Melbourne for the Boxing Day Test and India are likely to be three first-picks down, including the majestic Kohli. It will be tough going for them but they still have a lot of quality in their squad.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    It was nice of Brisbane to have a 72 hour lockdown so I could watch the third test in pretty much its entirety. Some effort by the Indians to hold on for the draw. I also really enjoyed the Adelaide test - I was over in Perth for Christmas so was fun to watch India get skittled for 36 with my extended Aussie family.

I probably wasn't into test cricket that much before I moved here (aside from a moderate interest in the Ashes) but I've got tickets for day 1 of the fourth test tomorrow and I can't wait.

Lots of nice subplots going into this match, especially after Paine and Smith's antics; India threatening not to play the match at all, Australia needing to win to take the trophy, the fact that India never win at the Gabba, and a fair chunk of rain forecast.

Three early wickets for Sri Lanka have suddenly made the Test against England interesting. England only need 53 more runs but they are looking pretty nervy. They couldn’t mess this one up could they?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

First time since the 50's England have won 4 consecutive tests away from home, some effort considering what's going on just now. Dan Lawrence looking a natural for the test match environment.

Incredible performance from India to chase 325 at the Gabbatoir for a series win with several of their star names missing including their talisman, Virat Kohli. Great stuff! Hoping to catch some highlights later.

Incredible performance from India to chase 325 at the Gabbatoir for a series win with several of their star names missing including their talisman, Virat Kohli. Great stuff! Hoping to catch some highlights later.
    Me too. I read about it this afternoon. Went to tape the highlights and it’s on friggin BT :

Set up for a thrilling end to the Sri Lanka v England match. England need 164 to win.

United we stand here....

Set up for a thrilling end to the Sri Lanka v England match. England need 164 to win.
    England fairly comfortable in the end. Sri Lanka rather threw both tests away. Now onto a much bigger challenge in India!

Left by mutual consent!
    Indias “goodwill gesture” to Nathan Lyon in his 100th test at the Gabba might be the greatest piece of sports related trolling in history.

Let’s be honest, it’s the sort of thing you’d hand over in the dressing room post match. To make him reluctantly walk over to collect the signed jersey, his face tripping him after a humiliating home series defeat, was a mastery in sh*tehouse behaviour.

One of the many dislikable Aussies to play for them in recent years. Get it up him.

Good to see the latest test is on channel 4.

Have they got rights to away tests going forward or a one off?
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Good to see the latest test is on channel 4.

Have they got rights to away tests going forward or a one off?
    I think it’s just this series.

I think it’s just this series.
    It’s weird that this game doesn’t come up on my TV guide, I missed the 1st day because I couldn’t find it anywhere.

United we stand here....