hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Seeing as I am up I will probably tune in to day two of the Second Test between Australia and Pakistan.

Australia are utterly dominant after day one. David Warner seems to be on a mission to dismiss any Ashes ghosts by dint of just scoring shedloads of runs.

Marnus Labuschagne is living the dream. He gets offered a chance, essentially through Steve Smith getting a concussion in the Ashes. He comes in and scores runs. And then continues to score runs. Goes back home and scores more runs. All of a sudden he is first drop and a stick-on in the Australia XI. Nice work.

Anyway, Australia were 1-302 at stumps on day one. I suspect another innings victory is heading towards, if not already, in the bag.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Well, I was right about Warner!

No mistake, that is up there in the canon of great innings. First triple century in Adelaide, second highest Test score by an Australian.

And not out, so his batting average will go through the roof

I watched him up until he got to 254 and bettered his previous best of 253, Caught the later stages on catch-up.

An absolutely fantastic innings, lovely shots, both on the on- and off-side.

It was clearly an emotional occasion for him at every stage and it was moving in the way he clearly acknowledged Phil Hughes on what would have been his 31st birthday.

And after the batting, Australia utterly ruthless in response. Mitchell Starc and Tim Paine combined beautifully and Pakistan were reduced to six wickets down, Babar Azam being the only stand-out for the tourists.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

And fresh of the back of a legend innings at Adelaide, Joe Root posts a serious total in Hamilton.

200 for the England skipper, room for more. Lots of talk about the captaincy being removed to allow him to concentrate on his batting. Maybe it is all okay?

We are around an hour away from the start of the First Test in Perth, Australia, between the home side and a touring NZ.

There has been a crest of media coverage over the last couple of months about whether this is the best NZ side ever. The stats are supportive but obviously influenced by the difference in schedules since Hadlee and Crowe played. What seems clear is they have more strength in depth over the last five years or so than when Hadlee or Crowe played. What isn’t in doubt is that this is an accomplished, tight and organised Kiwi side.

Not seen the teams yet and it is a pink-ball Test. There is talk of NZ playing Lockie Ferguson instead of Santner - an extra paceman for a spinner. Perth always suited out and out pace but this isn’t the WACA, it is a new stadium and I am not sure myself as to what degree it accommodates spin, let alone the variations of spin that tourists will bring.

For Australia, it looks like it will be continuity. After a good few years muddling about, partly because of the suspensions, but also just generally, they look like they might be settling on a very strong XI. What I do like is the bowling unit. The three first-picks plus Lyon, with Labuschagne and Smith able to provide respite, and Richardson and Pattinson both capable of stepping in should there be an injury amongst the quicks.

I think this is only a two-Test series but it should be a belter.

I got it wrong in the last post, I think it is a three-Test series. Melbourne and Sydney to follow.

A comprehensive win for Australia, within four days. Solid batting in their first innings, with Labuschagne continuing to revel in the opportunity he has been given and earned.

New Zealand’s bowling was weakened by the absence of Trent Boult and then Lockie Ferguson succumbing to injury. To even things out, Josh Hazlewood suffered an injury early on for Australia, but they still had enough in the locker to dismiss NZ cheaply over two innings, Starc and Lyon doing the most damage.

Hazlewood won’t feature at the MCG which gives an opportunity to a couple of other quicks to make their case.

So, with Dom Sibley 125no at Cape Town, have England finally found an opening pair? (albeit Burns has done his ankle playing football)

Meanwhile, the Aussies have absolutely crushed NZ. I can't see anyone winning a series in Aussie for the forseeable! The next ashes looks very daunting for England.

2nd test SA v Eng heading for a close finish. 46 overs to go, 5 wickets needed. Dogged resistance from the plucky Proteas.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Final session about to begin with England needing 5 wickets to win. England really need to win this or questions will be asked about their ability to take 20 wickets and win a test match on the road. It’s been a real problem for them lately.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Final session about to begin with England needing 5 wickets to win. England really need to win this or questions will be asked about their ability to take 20 wickets and win a test match on the road. It’s been a real problem for them lately.
    7 down with 18 overs left. Tight!

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    7 down with 18 overs left. Tight!
    8 down now with 13 overs to go. This is tense stuff.
    Stokes takes another and is on a hatrick 9 down.

United we stand here....

8 down now with 13 overs to go. This is tense stuff.
    Stokes takes another and is on a hatrick 9 down.
    Who else?

12 overs to get the last wicket.

Who else?

12 overs to get the last wicket.
    It had to be him, Stokes takes the last wicket. Anyone who says cricket is boring should watch that last session.

United we stand here....

It had to be him, Stokes takes the last wicket. Anyone who says cricket is boring should watch that last session.
    It seems mad that test cricket is apparently dying when there seem to have been so many great 5 day matches in recent times.

It seems mad that test cricket is apparently dying when there seem to have been so many great 5 day matches in recent times.
    I agree, today was a great example of why games shouldn’t change to 4 days.

United we stand here....

What a boost it must be to have someone like Stokes in your team no matter what situation you find yourselves in. Such an inspirational player bowling, fielding or batting.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    What a boost it must be to have someone like Stokes in your team no matter what situation you find yourselves in. Such an inspirational player bowling, fielding or batting.
    I just hope they don’t spoil it by making him captain. Thankfully Root is still young and doing a good job.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Great result and match and is exactly why test match cricket is still the pinnacle and should remain as a five day game

England doing that thing they did in the 1st innings at Cape Town where they all get a start but nobody makes a big score.

Currently 161/4 with Stokes 11 and Pope 4.

224/4 at the close. Stokes has grittily dug in and Pope a bit more comfortable. They are 38 and 39 not out respectively. Decent position for England but it could quickly unravel if these 2 go quickly in the morning.

Cheers for the updates JMS, job well done.

I caught a bit of today's play. A pleasant surface for sure and no surprise that if you won the toss you would bat first.

From England's perspective, they have done okay. Everyone got in without pushing on, but crucially they got in and I saw some lovely shots being played. And, at the risk of tempting fate, England might suddenly have options at opening bat with Crawley, Sibley and Rory Burns to return.

Having said that, it is a placid pitch so I might reserve judgement until I see them at the Gabba or Eden Gardens...

Can't really criticise SAF, they persevered. Probably a couple of occasions where the fielding positions could have been better, but as soon as Faf recognised it he remedied it.

Classic cricket cliche alert - the morning session is going to be crucial

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

I caught a bit of today's play. A pleasant surface for sure and no surprise that if you won the toss you would bat first.

From England's perspective, they have done okay. Everyone got in without pushing on, but crucially they got in and I saw some lovely shots being played. And, at the risk of tempting fate, England might suddenly have options at opening bat with Crawley, Sibley and Rory Burns to return.

Having said that, it is a placid pitch so I might reserve judgement until I see them at the Gabba or Eden Gardens...

Can't really criticise SAF, they persevered. Probably a couple of occasions where the fielding positions could have been better, but as soon as Faf recognised it he remedied it.

England have dominated the morning session so far with Stokes bagging another century and Pope going along steadily. England are 335/4 at lunch.

United we stand here....

Apparently Rabada has been banned for the final test for his conduct after dismissing Root. I didn’t really notice anything at the time, but he did run right down the pitch to Root.

United we stand here....

England have dominated the morning session so far with Stokes bagging another century and Pope going along steadily. England are 335/4 at lunch.
    Pretty much the perfect session for England. No wickets lost, scoring accelerated nicely, another century for Stokes and Pope successfully reviewed after being given out lbw.

A cliche from MA, but it was true, that was a crucial session and has probably already put a SA win out of the equation or at least made it a miracle required job!

Apparently Rabada has been banned for the final test for his conduct after dismissing Root. I didn’t really notice anything at the time, but he did run right down the pitch to Root.
    They get "demerit" points for various infringements and this is his fourth within 2 years, meaning the suspension is automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

I think Sibley and Burns will be the first choice and given a chance to nail down the selection. Ollie Pope seems to be taking his chance as well. 3rd 50 in 4 tests and a great chance to get his first century today. Which is good timing for England with Bairstow and to an extent Buttler having lost a bit of mojo recently.

They get "demerit" points for various infringements and this is his fourth within 2 years, meaning the suspension is automatic.
    Yeah I’m watching as they debate it now, it’s getting almost as heated as the incident as they all argue with each other in the studio and at the ground.

United we stand here....

Pretty much the perfect session for England. No wickets lost, scoring accelerated nicely, another century for Stokes and Pope successfully reviewed after being given out lbw.

A cliche from MA, but it was true, that was a crucial session and has probably already put a SA win out of the equation or at least made it a miracle required job!
    I think England will try and press on in the afternoon session and look to declare in order to reduce the chance of the draw.

United we stand here....

Stokes goes for 120. Another fine innings from last year's cricketer of the year.

351/5

Pope gets his ton.

420/7

Since Stokes, the wickets to fall have been a mojo-less Buttler out for 1 and Curran hit a quickfire 44.

Pope gets his century, England are 420/7.

United we stand here....