hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Doidge

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What formation do we play that allows 2 upfront? Allan doesn't fit anywhere in a 442 so not that. We could play 5212 but where do the wingers fit into that?

One up front is definitely the way to go, our execution of it just has to improve.
    GK

Porto Jackson Hanlon

James/Naismith Vela Allan Hallberg Stevenson

Doidge Flo

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_F View Post
    GK

Porto Jackson Hanlon

James/Naismith Vela Allan Hallberg Stevenson

Doidge Flo
    Against the weaker sides at home I would have Middleton on the left instead.

Also I would be tempted to give Whittaker a chance at sweeper as I think he would do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post

Also I would be tempted to give Whittaker a chance at sweeper as I think he would do well.
    I don't really think we should be trying a totally new formation to try Whittaker in a role he's never played. Just play him DM

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    He didnt for their goal.
    That’s fair. But our whole team set up for a drop ball .. wasn’t just Middleton out of position there ...

We currently are 1 of the weakest sides in the league

Testimonial Due
    He said: “When I first came in, I was probably doing things that I wasn’t good at – not the stuff I was brought to the club to do. Now I’m playing to my strengths, doing what I’m good at. It’s about getting on the same wavelength as your team-mates, as well. They know exactly what I like now and we’re working every day on the training pitch on that. I think I’m coming into my own.

‘It’s 100 per cent about me not trying too hard now. When you play with Scotty Allan and Flo Kamberi at first, they’re very technical players.

“I’m probably not as technical as those two – but I work really hard for the football club. The harder you work, the luckier you get. That’s always been one of my strengths.”

Doidge revealed he’d turned a deaf ear to the criticism directed at him although he’s not been alone with Heckingbottom himself facing calls for his head as Hibs slipped down the table. He said: “It’s obviously not my fault that they paid that money! I just keep my head down and work as hard as possible, try not to think about that kind of thing.”

The Welshman did concede he’d heard “little whispers and stuff” of what was being said about him, but revealed: “I didn’t see much of it because, like a lot of footballers, I make good use for the mute button!

“As a footballer, you get it all the time. You have to let it go in one ear and out the other. You know yourself when you’re not doing great. It’s then about digging in and showing character to come out the other side.”

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    What formation do we play that allows 2 upfront? Allan doesn't fit anywhere in a 442 so not that. We could play 5212 but where do the wingers fit into that?

One up front is definitely the way to go, our execution of it just has to improve.

You are too dogmatic about this imo.

I know that playing a partnership up front feels very old fashioned to you, but tactics come and go with time.

We could, for example, play a midfield diamond or 352 to accommodate Allan behind the strikers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

I know that playing a partnership up front feels very old fashioned to you, but tactics come and go with time.

We could, for example, play a midfield diamond or 352 to accommodate Allan behind the strikers.
    I agree with you.

Two (aye, two) is the way forward. We are traditionally an attacking side so, how come this tool (Heckingbottom) is allowed to come in here and change things from being the ‘Hibs way’.

He can just get lost, that’s what I say.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Here’s Lucy! View Post
    I agree with you.

Two (aye, two) is the way forward. We are traditionally an attacking side so, how come this tool (Heckingbottom) is allowed to come in here and change things from being the ‘Hibs way’.

He can just get lost, that’s what I say.
    Caution on Saturday versus The Sheep away then Doidge Kamberi and a winger up front versus our fellow strugglers is what I say!

If it doesn’t work Hecky gets punted

Win win!

Maybe that is what he is worried about?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 01-10-2019 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

I know they come and go with time. The idea that 2 strikers automatically scores more goals should go and stay away though because it isn't true.

Left by mutual consent!
    I know they come and go with time. The idea that 2 strikers automatically scores more goals should go and stay away though because it isn't true.
    As much as I think a 3-5-2 would work with the players we have, I agree that playing 1 up front would be the way to go. Without creativity we are not going to score goals, the more creative players playing the better.

Left by mutual consent!
    It has done in our most recent history. Whilst I'll agree that 2 up top is pretty much a thing of the past in most leagues, our league is not most leagues.

There's absolutely next to no point playing 1 in behind a sole striker at places like tynecastle, rugby park, hamilton's ground and the Toni Macaroni. They just get swallowed up and the ball spends the majority of the time over their head.

Similar with the idea of 4-3-3 "the Liverpool way", great if you're Liverpool and have Salah and Mane or if you're Man City with Sterling etc but when you're Hibs and you have Horgan and Boyle it's not the same thing at all.

I think the idea that 2 up top is dead the whole world over is an idea that only FM players are obsessed with.

I can’t recall us having much success with one up top in recent history.

Won the cup with two up top. Got to the league cup final with two up top. Promoted with two up. Good first season back up with two up top.

Playing one up top is really limiting us IMO. We don't have enough bodies in the final third to be a threat.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Aberdeen, like us, have a bit of a soft centre in the absence of Shinnie. If we play a diamond, the attacking mid should get a heap of time and space if we have Kamberi and Doidge in defenders faces from the kick out.

I'd drop Middleton anyway. Mallan might actually fit in as deepest lying mid with Vela and Hallberg in front of him, because I think the Dons have lost the intensity in getting the ball back since their former captains departure.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Put a shift in Matty, but infuriating to see him win so many headers, and nobody gambling to go behind him. We need to stop this one of front nonsense, we are far more dangerous with two up front.
    Couldn't agree more

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I can’t recall us having much success with one up top in recent history.

Won the cup with two up top. Got to the league cup final with two up top. Promoted with two up. Good first season back up with two up top.

Playing one up top is really limiting us IMO. We don't have enough bodies in the final third to be a threat.
    Two up top during Hecky's run of form last season too.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Our wingers haven't been in the best of form recently so I'd go with the narrow diamond in order to accommodate Doidge and Kamberi.

Have Allan at no.10, Hallberg sitting and 2 of Vela, Mallan, Murray either side.

Mean's we're relying on Stevenson to provide most of our attacking width on the left-hand side, which isn't ideal. But that system would allow us to be solid and hard to break down in midfield, while still having the offensive threat of two up top with Allan behind them. Think James might do well in that system as his passing and dribbling going forward seems to be one of his main strengths.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Aberdeen, like us, have a bit of a soft centre in the absence of Shinnie. If we play a diamond, the attacking mid should get a heap of time and space if we have Kamberi and Doidge in defenders faces from the kick out.

I'd drop Middleton anyway. Mallan might actually fit in as deepest lying mid with Vela and Hallberg in front of him, because I think the Dons have lost the intensity in getting the ball back since their former captains departure.
    Really thought he was good in the 10 mins he got in derby and also on Saturday. Puts in some decent crosses. Issue with me and the 4231 is there appears to be a lack of rotation of the players which that system is meant to provide, if we were better and that we would no doubt create many more chances.

A Sweeper? That would be a blast from the past! Not many sides play that anymore.

I like the idea of Middleton instead of Stevenson as a left wing back in a 352 when we want to go at teams. I like Middleton and for the short time he's here, he'd be good in a 352, the formation that plays to our strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Really thought he was good in the 10 mins he got in derby and also on Saturday. Puts in some decent crosses. Issue with me and the 4231 is there appears to be a lack of rotation of the players which that system is meant to provide, if we were better and that we would no doubt create many more chances.
    Hot and cold for me. I didn't even know he was playing against Motherwell but agree about derby and Saturday

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    All about opinions. I thought he was poor on Saturday. He lacked the confidence to talk a man on and there were times he lacked game awareness, trying to pass when there was no pass available. Where’s the pace?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Absolutely no point in Doidge holding the ball up and winning headers if there is no support around him quick enough to capitalise. Give him and Kamberi a run of games together, play to our own strengths and utilise the players better at our disposal. Sometimes I feel like Hecky completes a jigsaw and then takes another piece out so it’s never actually finished.

Heck wont play 3 at the back. With Middleton & horgan not doing great id revert to a diamond midfield.

James Porto Hanlon Lewy
    Hallberg
    Vela Mallan
    Allan
    Kamberi Doidge.

Gets 2 up top which we are desperate for. Aim for Doidge & Kamberi will get the knock downs. Nobody is getting close enough with Doidge up top on his own.

Only problem with the diamond is it's susceptible to width, look at Spurs last night.

Has hecky ever played 442

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Pretty sure he did in some of the early games he had e.g Hamilton at home, Dundee away, however then went to a 451 with Flo wide after that.

Did we not play 442 v St Mirren and St Johnstone, maybe wrong in that.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Only problem with the diamond is it's susceptible to width, look at Spurs last night.
    There is ways to combat that, see NLs Hibs vs Celtic at Easter Road when we beat them 2-1. Played a diamond then. Your 2 strikers & 2 Central midfielders need to be mobile & willing to chase to force the ball infield. No point playing ineffective wingers like we are at the minute

Quote Originally Posted by JDHibs View Post
    There is ways to combat that, see NLs Hibs vs Celtic at Easter Road when we beat them 2-1. Played a diamond then. Your 2 strikers & 2 Central midfielders need to be mobile & willing to chase to force the ball infield. No point playing ineffective wingers like we are at the minute
    I agree, it's all about having the right players, Spurs last night did well with it at 1st, then the players just gave up, Stubbs was pretty successful with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I agree, it's all about having the right players, Spurs last night did well with it at 1st, then the players just gave up, Stubbs was pretty successful with it too.
    Not sure taking off Ngombele for Eriksen worked. In saying that out of the goals Aurier must have had a hand in about 4 of them either getting skinned or giving the ball away. Wouldn't surprise me if Poch goes to Madrid soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Many times, St Johnstone this season being the most recent one