hibs.net Messageboard

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Doidge

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn’t talking about the rules, I was talking about whether or not it hit his hand, which it did (or his wrist if you want to be pedantic).

In any case, you’re quoting an irrelevant rule. A handball by an attacking player in the opposition box will never result in a penalty to anyone
    It’s not irrelevant. It wouldn’t be a penalty if it was a defensive player and so shouldn’t have been a foul for an attacking player going by they rules.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I wasn’t talking about the rules, I was talking about whether or not it hit his hand, which it did (or his wrist if you want to be pedantic).

In any case, you’re quoting an irrelevant rule. A handball by an attacking player in the opposition box will never result in a penalty to anyone
    By penalty I take it the rules mean they player will not be penalised....not that it will not result in a penalty kick.

If it means there will be no penalty kick, it means that the handball rule is different for attackers and defenders..which if true means that the games up the pole.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I was moving the discussion forward, by suggesting that we should actually know what the rules are.

Personally the TV footage I have seen is fairly inconclusive, but I certainly couldn't rule out that it may have brushed against his fingers or wrist. However surely that's not the point if the rules of the game state that in the circumstances that it happened, it's not a foul.
    Regarding your first sentence, I actually agree. Which is why you probably need to have a look at the rules for attacking players and not defenders.

Try again, friend. It's a free kick.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

The penalty would be against the attacking player resulting in a free kick to the defending team. It’s still a penalty. Just not a penalty kick.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    The penalty in other circumstances would be against the attacking player resulting in a free kick to the defending team. It’s still a penalty. Just not a penalty kick.
    Incorrect.

Hard to believe this is still rumbling on. Doidge has had 2 more goals ruled out for handball than any Hibs striker I can ever remember, and he's only played a handful of games.

Wasted a scary amount of money on him, so PH is now obliged to play him out of sheer hope that Forest Greens answer to Maradona comes good

From the BBC site before the season started

The law remains that deliberate handball is an offence. But accidental handball will also be a free-kick if...

the ball goes into the goal off an attacker

a player gets the ball using their arm or hand and then scores, or creates a goalscoring opportunity

a player's hand or arm has made their body "unnaturally bigger"
    the player's arm or hand is above their shoulder (unless the player has controlled the ball onto their own arm or hand)

On this "Doidge Apologist" business

There are some people on here who are desperate for Hibs to lose, so that Heck's time as manager is brought to an end quicker. They are always keen to stress the negative and that includes slagging off his signings and brushing aside any suggestion that we are improving, or unlucky or both.

That is entirely understandable, I get it.....but doesn't sit very well with me.

When I watch Hibs I want them to win, when we get decisions against us I will tend to side with the player in Green (or bland grey with green trim in this case). I would not be in the least bothered if Heck was sacked tomorow, as long as we have someone exciting, successful and passionate to replace him. But until that happens I'll still be aching for us to win and argue on the green side of the debate every time.

That's just me and a few others on here...so please don't call us apologists, we are just Hibs fans with a different perspective.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    By penalty I take it the rules mean they player will not be penalised....not that it will not result in a penalty kick.

If it means there will be no penalty kick, it means that the handball rule is different for attackers and defenders..which if true means that the games up the pole.
    You could be right, although the rules you posted in the other thread specifies ‘free kicks and penalties’ in the first section and just ‘penalties’ in the second. If it was using ‘penalty’ as a general term then I’m not sure they would have mentioned free kicks at all?

You could be right, although the rules you posted in the other thread specifies ‘free kicks and penalties’ in the first section and just ‘penalties’ in the second. If it was using ‘penalty’ as a general term then I’m not sure they would have mentioned free kicks at all?
    You might be right, it's bloody confusing and if there are different rules for attackers and defenders then FIFA (or whichever bunch of overpaid tossers makes the rules these days) have finally and completely jumped the shark.

Left by mutual consent!

There are some people on here who are desperate for Hibs to lose, so that Heck's time as manager is brought to an end quicker. They are always keen to stress the negative and that includes slagging off his signings and brushing aside any suggestion that we are improving, or unlucky or both.

That is entirely understandable, I get it.....but doesn't sit very well with me.

When I watch Hibs I want them to win, when we get decisions against us I will tend to side with the player in Green (or bland grey with green trim in this case). I would not be in the least bothered if Heck was sacked tomorow, as long as we have someone exciting, successful and passionate to replace him. But until that happens I'll still be aching for us to win and argue on the green side of the debate every time.

That's just me and a few others on here...so please don't call us apologists, we are just Hibs fans with a different perspective.
    This always seems to appear stressing the negative is not wanting Hibs to Lose. If Hibs win on Saturday which i hope they do I still want him sacked. He will win games if he is manager long enough but wins are the exception rather than the rule.

Left by mutual consent!
    You might be right, it's bloody confusing and if there are different rules for attackers and defenders then FIFA (or whichever bunch of overpaid tossers makes the rules these days) have finally and completely jumped the shark.
    So the rules are fine if they back your point up, but if they don't they're bonkers?

I'm out.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    From the BBC site before the season started

The law remains that deliberate handball is an offence. But accidental handball will also be a free-kick if...

the ball goes into the goal off an attacker

a player gets the ball using their arm or hand and then scores, or creates a goalscoring opportunity

a player's hand or arm has made their body "unnaturally bigger"
    the player's arm or hand is above their shoulder (unless the player has controlled the ball onto their own arm or hand)
    There we have it.

Next on the agenda: Was it deliberate? What constitutes deliberate? What obscure ancient Greek definition of the word ‘deliberate’ can we use to argue that Doidge is just unlucky?

@hibs.net private member
    There is a difference in the rules for both with the new handball ruling. Doidge’s one, if it actually hits his hand, is a foul. That’s based on the part of the rule that states any handball that leads to a goal is a foul, accidental or not. The difference with a defender is that it needs to be a deliberate act for it to be a foul. There is obviously subjectivity when it comes to “deliberate” however I’m pretty sure that the defender committing the same offence as Doidge did, wouldn’t have been a penalty

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Horde View Post
    Incorrect.
    Not incorrect at all, the penalty in that case is a free kick to defending team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This always seems to appear stressing the negative is not wanting Hibs to Lose. If Hibs win on Saturday which i hope they do I still want him sacked. He will win games if he is manager long enough but wins are the exception rather than the rule.
    I would argue that if anyone wants Hibs to fail, it’s the people who want to keep a manager who has won 1 game in 14 and are happy with a striker who has 0 goals in 8.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Horde View Post

I'm out.
    promise ?

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    It’s not irrelevant. It wouldn’t be a penalty if it was a defensive player and so shouldn’t have been a foul for an attacking player going by they rules.
    The rules state that any handball leading to a goal, deliberate or not, will be penalised.

See Mane’s disallowed goal yesterday. Bale had one in the champions league against PSG the other week which literally brushed his hand.

Left by mutual consent!
    I would argue that if anyone wants Hibs to fail, it’s the people who want to keep a manager who has won 1 game in 14 and are happy with a striker who has 0 goals in 8.
    I would agree with that.

I don't particularly want to keep the manager or a striker that has scored 1 in 14, if we have better alternatives. But I still want Hibs to win every game and feel gutted for both the incumbent manager and his striker when I can see they are really trying and come up just short.

Like I said..different perspective.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Must have looked at this about 100 times and has been doin ma heid in!

Just watched the rerun on Sportscene ( match analysis angle) and the ball definately strikes his left hand/wrist right in front of the Ref who blows immediately before the ball hits the pokey

No goal!

In fairness Big Doidge has had nae luck!
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 22-10-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Left by mutual consent!

So let me just get this straight.

People who view the incident from a neutral perspective and based on the correct rules of the game are "desperate for Hibs to lose" but those who make up the rules to suit a pro Hibs, pro Hecky and pro Doidge at all times agenda aren't to be called apologists?

If the ball hits his arm or hand, deliberate or not, he's gained an advantage to be able to score, free kick.

I was in ASDA Newhaven yesterday and there was no sign of Doidge.What's he up to?

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I was in ASDA Newhaven yesterday and there was no sign of Doidge.What's he up to?
    He went to m&s this time, a wee bit more up market

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Anonymous again.

Come to think of it, I frequently find myself in places where Christian Doidge is not. Imposter

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    He went to m&s this time, a wee bit more up market
    Thought no Hibs fans could afford M+S but have new rich fans. Not safe anywhere

@hibs.net private member
    Hope he starts as part of a front 2 tomorrow. His hattrick in his last match must have done him the world of good.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Hope he starts as part of a front 2 tomorrow. His hattrick in his last match must have done him the world of good.

He’s done a decent job this season imo other than putting the ball in the bet (I know that sounds very Cathro-esque). Hopefully the goals will start flowing now. If they do, along with his other attributes he’ll be a very handy player.

Great shift today big man well done 👍