hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Doidge

Left by mutual consent!
    Hats off to the big man today.

Played really well and lead the line brilliantly.

Good to see him get a run in the team

2. Log in to remove the advert

I thought the big man done great today! He won some amount of headers, it was a shame, more often than not, nobody was taking a gamble and trying to play off him.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Why not try Doidge and Flo upfront together and see if that gives us a cutting edge?

Now who is going to provide the crosses?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes he did, I’ve been his biggest critic but today in a very difficult match he was very good.
    I remember it now but hardly worth mentioning as it trickled straight to Foster. But he did lead the line well but had no goal threat

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    But he did lead the line well but had no goal threat
    Or service. It’s clear he’s good in the air. Give him something to attack.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Play him and flo together
    Absolutely. Both work their socks off, let Doidge do the dirty work and give the ball to Flo to finish.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Doidge played well today, hard job working on your own up front against Celtc but he kept at it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Doidge played well today, hard job working on your own up front against Celtc but he kept at it.
    Put a shift in Matty, but infuriating to see him win so many headers, and nobody gambling to go behind him. We need to stop this one of front nonsense, we are far more dangerous with two up front.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Put a shift in Matty, but infuriating to see him win so many headers, and nobody gambling to go behind him. We need to stop this one of front nonsense, we are far more dangerous with two up front.
    You are so right my friend Baldy I have been saying that for weeks

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    He worked hard, surely the minimum we expect from players, and put himself about but as CF he did not have and effort on goal. But overall this was a big improvement on his previous games.
    Yes he did.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Thought he was decent today, but still not convinced we'll get goals out of him. I'd like to see him played as his previous manager did then see if things change. He's not a target man , but made a decent fist of it today and actually wins some headers, something Flo rarely does, but not much point in him winning headers if noone anticipates them.

Maybe playing Flo again wider instead of Middleton and working with Doidge is the way to go.
    I think there's definitely goals in him. But we've got a huge problem in the chance creating department right now. We could have Lewandowski and he'd probably be lucky to hit double figures.

I've always thought that there was a player in Doidge and was surprised that he got dropped so quickly. Would like to see two up front but think a Keatings style player is needed rather than Kamberi.

Doidge was my man of the match. Put in a big shift up front, held the ball up and won headers but had no help anywhere near him.
    He and Hibs now need Kamberi playing on the left and getting close to and playing off him.
    They are both good strikers but playing one up front and leaving them isolated has not and will not bring goals.

What formation do we play that allows 2 upfront? Allan doesn't fit anywhere in a 442 so not that. We could play 5212 but where do the wingers fit into that?

One up front is definitely the way to go, our execution of it just has to improve.

Left by mutual consent!
    Doidge is a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    What formation do we play that allows 2 upfront? Allan doesn't fit anywhere in a 442 so not that. We could play 5212 but where do the wingers fit into that?

One up front is definitely the way to go, our execution of it just has to improve.
    If the players are struggling to execute it, as they are, maybe that suggests it’s not the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    If the players are struggling to execute it, as they are, maybe that suggests it’s not the way to go.
    Or maybe these things take time and hard work? Executed it very well yesterday considering we had 5/6 first team players missing through injury.

Or maybe these things take time and hard work? Executed it very well yesterday considering we had 5/6 first team players missing through injury.
    We executed it well from a defensive point of view but it isn’t allowing us to be anywhere threatening enough. It isn’t giving us any balance between attack and defence.

I think at the moment the issue is our wingers aren’t producing.

Horgan and Middleton, both on their day are handfuls and good players but they’ve not done it for weeks. This has forced Mallan to play right mid and whilst very good on the ball and a goal threat, doesn’t stretch the game or get beyond his full back.

If we had a right winger with pace and aggression our whole dynamic would change.

441, 4231, 433 or however you look at it need players with pace to stretch the game. I think with Mallan right mid he likes the midfield being a bit more secure as he is good technically and will tuck in and help the middle two.

Boyle is back after the break but god knows what sort of player he will be, I think a right winger will be high on the wish list in January. A big physical one with pace and aggression.

Kamberi can be played on the left but close enough to Doidge to be able to link with him. Doidge should be playing in the box between the posts. This is a little different from a classic 2 up but would give us more of a chance of scoring than we presently have.

*Horgan can be on the bench to stop us being a man short.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 29-09-2019 at 01:01 PM.

352 or a diamond would be the formations that I think would suit our players best. Obviously both have their weaknesses and there are issues we have regarding squeezing our players into them but I think those 2 are our closest fit.

I think we're in a tough place player and formation wise in that if we play 1 up front we can compete in midfield but struggle in the final third but if we play 2 strikers we'll struggle to get meaningful service to them (ie not lumps up the park).

At least we've now discovered that if we need to we can be a bit tighter and tougher to just play through.

First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7
    what a change to see one of our strikers challenging and winning balls in the air , felt he played the lone striker role really well, would love to see LG or someone similar playing off him , i dont think he is a 20 goal a season man but people playing off him could well be.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Play Kamberi and Doidge up top together

4-1-2-1-2 Diamond

Maxwell - GK

James -RB
    Porteous -CB
    Hanlon -CB
    Stevenson -LB

Vela/Hallberg -CDM
    Boyle (when fit) -RM
    Middleton -LM
    Allan -CAM

Kamberi -ST
    Doidge -ST

Subs - Marciano, Jackson, Whittaker, Mallan, Murray, Horgan, Shaw

I think Kamberi coming off the left like we did with mcnulty last year would be good

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    I think Kamberi coming off the left like we did with mcnulty last year would be good
    The current system relies on the wide players to track back and defend ..do you see Kamberi working as hard at this as Middleton did at the weekend ?

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    The current system relies on the wide players to track back and defend ..do you see Kamberi working as hard at this as Middleton did at the weekend ?
    Harder than Middleton? Aye, definitely.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Harder than Middleton? Aye, definitely.
    Really? I thought Middleton tracked back very well on Saturday ....

I think he would track back. I was thinking more in the attacking sense. Someone to anticipate Doidge flicks and knock downs. There was an time in the 2nd half were the ball was played up to Doidge and he was battling with brown and the big center half and they all missed it, if Horgan has anticipated that he could’ve been in on goals

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    I think he would track back. I was thinking more in the attacking sense. Someone to anticipate Doidge flicks and knock downs. There was an time in the 2nd half were the ball was played up to Doidge and he was battling with brown and the big center half and they all missed it, if Horgan has anticipated that he could’ve been in on goals
    It was certainly crying out for someone gambling on Doidge winning those headers ...

I’ve never seen Kamberi do that workhorse role too many times - would be interesting to see

Really? I thought Middleton tracked back very well on Saturday ....
    He didnt for their goal.