hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thomas Cook

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...gFQmhnC1TyJK4E

All 555 Thomas Cook shops are to be bought by rival Hays Travel in a move that could save up to 2,500 jobs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...gFQmhnC1TyJK4E

All 555 Thomas Cook shops are to be bought by rival Hays Travel in a move that could save up to 2,500 jobs.
    Exactly how capitalism should work. Thankfully the government did not do anything stupid like try to bail them out. Not sure the Scottish government could have resisted that temptation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Exactly how capitalism should work. Thankfully the government did not do anything stupid like try to bail them out. Not sure the Scottish government could have resisted that temptation.

How have they dealt with the debt? Loaded it up with even more?

Donít hold your breath for a recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post

Hays aren't buying the TC business, so they won't have to do anything with the debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post

The debt is gone. The lenders have taken the hit.

Am afaid they could be on to a looser. Do people still use Travel Agents to book a holiday ? More and more people just go onto the internet, book their flights then go to the likes of Trivago to book a hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Am afaid they could be on to a looser. Do people still use Travel Agents to book a holiday ? More and more people just go onto the internet, book their flights then go to the likes of Trivago to book a hotel.
    I have no idea but they must think there is enough business there for them. The good thing is if there isnít then itís them and their bankers who take the hit.

People clearly do use travel agents as hundreds if not thousands of people are out of pocket, not everyone likes booking holidays this way, I know one couple who will only book through a travel agent, personally I wouldnt

From what I could make out from the news, the shops were making a profit, the business as a whole (including the running of TC HQ) wasn't. I'm sure as an existing High Street business Hays will have done their sums re taking on the shops only.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I'm not really sure if they've bought buildings or taken on defaulted leases, or a mix. I've only read headlines about the latest stuff so it may have been covered.

I'd imagine it's mostly the defaulted leases and given the state of the high streets up and down Britain they probably got a good deal on them, they'll also have earned a bit of goodwill generally from saving a lot of TC jobs - not sure that translates into much business in their industry though.

The numbers show a pretty staggering acceleration of shop fronts and employees though, rapid growth in a troubled and declining market (I'd assume) at the peak of uncertainty around Brexit etc... Can't say they're not ballsy.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I'm not really sure if they've bought buildings or taken on defaulted leases, or a mix. I've only read headlines about the latest stuff so it may have been covered.

I'd imagine it's mostly the defaulted leases and given the state of the high streets up and down Britain they probably got a good deal on them, they'll also have earned a bit of goodwill generally from saving a lot of TC jobs - not sure that translates into much business in their industry though.

The numbers show a pretty staggering acceleration of shop fronts and employees though, rapid growth in a troubled and declining market (I'd assume) at the peak of uncertainty around Brexit etc... Can't say they're not ballsy.
    Well I hope it works out for them but your last para sums it up for me.

And digging into the TC story a bit shows that it was their takeover of MyTravel that was the root of many of their ills so I hope this is not a wee bit of history about to repeat itself.

@hibs.net private member Captain Trips's Avatar
    Once all the generations of people who are not fans of using online are gone there will be lots more shops closing and lots of people out of work. I think curry's pc world type places will all be gone in next 10yrs or so.

Companies that needed 1000s will need 100s.
    If I choose to revert back to Carlsberg it will have to be The Carlsberg

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Once all the generations of people who are not fans of using online are gone there will be lots more shops closing and lots of people out of work. I think curry's pc world type places will all be gone in next 10yrs or so.

Companies that needed 1000s will need 100s.
    Well, IMO the retail experience is utterly ****.

Most of the retail industry seems complacent and stuck in a past thatís been diappearing for the last two decades and are utterly clueless how to respond.

It needs a revolution. Itíll come