hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Paul Heckingbottom interview on Sky

I just watched the Paul Heckingbottom interview on Sky.

He was asked about pressure and his future but he seemed to try and talk around the questions.

13 minutes interview that I downloaded on my Sky box. Worth a look.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Did he say anything else of note?

@hibs.net private member
    Watched it too....he realises there is a need to get short term results.

Always comes over as a rounded thinker - not overly emotional, but a analytical thinker of what’s happening ..

A few interesting quotes (for me anyway) ...perhaps will end up taken out of context...

Firstly, he talked a little about style - happy with some of the passing style of the team- but recognising if it’s not creating enough chances or getting results, it can’t be good enough ...

Secondly , the results tell him he doesn’t know his best eleven - before the rangers game he may have thought he did, but the reality of recent results telling him he is not getting it right...

Another point he mentioned is that any game we have won we have needed to be the better side - we are not winning any by luck or by simply keeping in the game ..interesting reflection that I thought ..

Didn’t mind those points - tells me he is willing to learn and change from what he is seeing rather than being dogmatic ..

I noticed another poster on another thread saying “usual *****” about the interview ..not sure what he could say to appease those who just want him our of his role . For a manager under pressure, it feels like he recognises the importance and difference of a derby match, yet equally if setting about to win three points - without getting caught up in the hysteria about his position - not sure what else we could expect tbh ...

I do get a sense that he knows his current plans are not working - not creating enough chances ..wonder if we will see any changes this weekend which looks to do things a bit different, and get different result

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Is there a link to this?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Time for clear minds, calm thinking. Just do them.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

He came across as he's not got a clue what to do and how to sort our current situation. Usual boring stuff we've all heard before.

And yes. I want him out our club pronto.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Always comes over as a rounded thinker - not overly emotional, but a analytical thinker of what’s happening ..

A few interesting quotes (for me anyway) ...perhaps will end up taken out of context...

Firstly, he talked a little about style - happy with some of the passing style of the team- but recognising if it’s not creating enough chances or getting results, it can’t be good enough ...

Secondly , the results tell him he doesn’t know his best eleven - before the rangers game he may have thought he did, but the reality of recent results telling him he is not getting it right...

Another point he mentioned is that any game we have won we have needed to be the better side - we are not winning any by luck or by simply keeping in the game ..interesting reflection that I thought ..

Didn’t mind those points - tells me he is willing to learn and change from what he is seeing rather than being dogmatic ..

I noticed another poster on another thread saying “usual *****” about the interview ..not sure what he could say to appease those who just want him our of his role . For a manager under pressure, it feels like he recognises the importance and difference of a derby match, yet equally if setting about to win three points - without getting caught up in the hysteria about his position - not sure what else we could expect tbh ...

I do get a sense that he knows his current plans are not working - not creating enough chances ..wonder if we will see any changes this weekend which looks to do things a bit different, and get different result
    I'm pleased to see that he has recognised this but in a way it's his own downfall. There was far to much chopping 'n changing during the League cup games. Even the last friendly v Newcastle, I really believed he would have started with a line-up that would have followed on to our first league game a few days later.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    I'm pleased to see that he has recognised this but in a way it's his own downfall. There was far to much chopping 'n changing during the League cup games. Even the last friendly v Newcastle, I really believed he would have started with a line-up that would have followed on to our first league game a few days later.
    Not sure that was a huge issue - we won our first league game ...he said (I paraphrase) pre the Rangers game he would have said he knew his strongest 11 ...since then results have shown that he needs to think differently

tells me he knows his current approach isn’t working - I’d rather that view than dogma ...

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

I haven’t seen the interview so I’m not able to comment on it. But based on your synopsis of it I don’t think it seems that he’s said anything that folk could be too critical of, especially bearing in mind that he’s not going to slaughter everyone connected with the club including himself. Most of it seems to be similar to what folk on here have been saying, just not nearly as heavy handed.

He seems to cover:
    -doesn’t know his strongest team
    -recognises were not creating enough chances
    -that we’re soft (covered in the bit about how we need to be the better side to get a result)

Most of these have been some of his biggest criticisms and he’s acknowledged them from the sound of things
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 20-09-2019 at 07:17 AM.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Any link to this interview? I don’t know why the Hibernian Sky Sports page seems to show more about Hearts than anything else. Sky Sports are shocking for this - Levein can turn it round, Levein will be given time and finally Hearts go bottom are the three main articles/videos. I assume they find Heckingbottom’s interviews and anything out of Hibs a bit boring as well at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Any link to this interview? I don’t know why the Hibernian Sky Sports page seems to show more about Hearts than anything else. Sky Sports are shocking for this - Levein can turn it round, Levein will be given time and finally Hearts go bottom are the three main articles/videos. I assume they find Heckingbottom’s interviews and anything out of Hibs a bit boring as well at the moment.
    Yeah because Levein is like Oscar Wilde right enough.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    I searched and found it in sky go ....just searched his name

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's absolutely right about not knowing his best side, but that is the one job he should know. And as for the style of play, what style of play?

I'm sure he's a nice guy and all that, but all he is, is a good slaver.

The interview was just Heckingbottom being Heckingbottom, it didn't in any way change my opinion of him, failed to directly answer the big questions, dodged the questions from Luke, who I thought gave him some pretty easy out's - Especially on the question around his 'fans causing anxiety' statement.

Came across better than Levein, though that isn't exactly difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    The interview was just Heckingbottom being Heckingbottom, it didn't in any way change my opinion of him, failed to directly answer the big questions, dodged the questions from Luke, who I thought gave him some pretty easy out's - Especially on the question around his 'fans causing anxiety' statement.
    There were some direct questions about being under pressure but Heckingbottom did his usual and gave a general answer about results. Also a direct one about this game being a defining game for both managers but he dodged them.

I watched the Levein one too and he gave a few direct answers even if he is slightly deluded. He said he won’t seek assurances from Budge although he has just got one and he will not walk away yet.

Left by mutual consent!
    Come on Hecky ****in turn this around lad.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He's absolutely right about not knowing his best side, but that is the one job he should know. And as for the style of play, what style of play?

I'm sure he's a nice guy and all that, but all he is, is a good slaver.

I find it absolutely incredible that he feels he doesn't know his best team after fully seven months in charge - a period which includes both a close season and a transfer window.

If he'd said he was frustrated that injuries, fitness levels and the time needed to blend in new players meant he hadn't had the chance to refine what is his best team it would be one thing (and still not good), but he's actually said he thought he knew it up until the Rangers game.

I'm afraid that for me that interview confirms all my worries about this guy.

Possibly the best post on here for months.

He thought he knew his best team up until the Rangers game. Wow. What he realized is that his outright arrogance toward the Scottish game was proven and that his subpar lower league rejects from england won’t cut it up here. Joker. Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I find it absolutely incredible that he feels he doesn't know his best team after fully seven months in charge - a period which includes both a close season and a transfer window.

If he'd said he was frustrated that injuries, fitness levels and the time needed to blend in new players meant he hadn't had the chance to refine what is his best team it would be one thing (and still not good), but he's actually said he thought he knew it up until the Rangers game.

I'm afraid that for me that interview confirms all my worries about this guy.
    Just because he didn’t specifically mention the reasons you’ve mentioned it doesn’t mean that’s not the reasons why he’s not sure of it surely? (Admittedly I haven’t had the chance to listen to the interview so he may have said something which would prove me wrong) Maybe the Rangers game, injuries to SDG, the return of Porteous, signing of Naismith and Hallberg etc has meant that he’s now re-evaluating what he thought was at that point was his best team because he now has 3 players who weren’t available back then?
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 20-09-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel 1875 View Post
    He thought he knew his best team up until the Rangers game. Wow. What he realized is that his outright arrogance toward the Scottish game was proven and that his subpar lower league rejects from england won’t cut it up here. Joker. Leave.
    😂

If he’d said he didn’t have a clue of his best team at the point of the Rangers game you’d have slaughtered him for not having a clue what the best team to put out was. I can only presume you’ve never thought you knew the best way to approach something only to get it wrong or have to change the way you approach it.

He now has 3 players available that weren’t available back then, all of which I’d think most want to see in the starting 11. Maybe that’s why he thought he knew it at that point and is now re-evaluating it?

One thing I’ll say for Paul is he is a calm manager, and while his activities over the summer have riled me up abit, and the results have been pish, I don’t get the sense that he’ll lose his cool and will instead keep plugging away to improve the team. I’d imagine that this resilience will eventually rub off on the players. As regards sacking him look to the Bristol City manager, they were in worse form than us for quite a while but they stuck with their man and now they’re punching above their weight. Not a perfect analogy, but perhaps we might need to sacrifice short run success for achieving our goals. Im also not sure spending money to sack him would be wise.

From watching that interview we know his eyes work, because he can see what isn’t working.

The problem is he doesn’t appear to know how to fix it and a number of the problems are of his own making in the first place.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    😂

If he’d said he didn’t have a clue of his best team at the point of the Rangers game you’d have slaughtered him for not having a clue what the best team to put out was. I can only presume you’ve never thought you knew the best way to approach something only to get it wrong or have to change the way you approach it.

He now has 3 players available that weren’t available back then, all of which I’d think most want to see in the starting 11. Maybe that’s why he thought he knew it at that point and is now re-evaluating it?
    You can't seriously be defending the fact that our manager thought the starting 11 at Ibrox was our best?

😂

How bad do we have to get before you change your mind on him? What has Heckingbottom done that makes you sure he’s the man for the job?

Can’t help but feel this all relates back to you really wanting Lennon out before everyone else. Do you get a kick out of taking the opposite position?

😂

Hi Paul

Just watched the interview and the key points for me were -

:He admits he doesn’t know best 11 but things have changed and he hints about style of play changing.
    :He gets the derby is important and he knows what it means to the fans- he even smiles about a memory of meeting the fans after Tynecastle win.
    :He says he’s not taking on the fans and knows importance of fans. Scott Allan isn’t untouchable!
    :He’s not paying notice of getting the boot, but knows he can’t be stubborn, but needs to be patient and get results.
    :Knows top 6 is important but as stated from start with him, and RG its a long term plan.
    :He did for me play down the expectations a bit and got in points about not winning- but again outlined it’s a long term plan.

I thought this was a good interview and I am no means in the pro Hecky camp, but all the people having a go at him for this interview have clearly made up their mind already! Let’s get behind him on Sunday and if we win- just think we will have a manager who is not getting beat in Derby’s! That in itself is a massive plus. A win on Sunday could kickstart this team and there’s still plenty to play for.

Ps - stop giving Whittaker abuse on match day too!

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel 1875 View Post
    How bad do we have to get before you change your mind on him? What has Heckingbottom done that makes you sure he’s the man for the job?

Can’t help but feel this all relates back to you really wanting Lennon out before everyone else. Do you get a kick out of taking the opposite position?
    Who said I thought he’s the man for the job? I’ve said before I thought he deserved more time to show what he can do. That times getting less the longer we go without getting results.

What I think of his ability for the job doesn’t change my mind that folk are going to slaughter him regardless of results, what he says in interviews etc though. Should I just agree with the majority of posters because they make up the majority? the concept of a forum kind of falls down if that’s what we all done.

Out of interest, what do you think he should have said in the interview if you’re so appalled by what he said? Because from the breakdown bigwheel gave us it doesn’t sound much different to what a lot of posters have been saying?
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 20-09-2019 at 09:19 AM.