hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Mowbray

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just checked and they are pretty much the same height. Just shows you, size isnt everything....
    I think we are in an era of super tall goalies. Goram slightly small in his day. Now very small for a goalie. MCneil made a great save in LC final off a Naismith header at 0-0.

Ronnie Simpson only 5 foot 10.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 19-09-2019 at 11:05 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    As much as I do agree with you the two in bold benefitted the most probably from Tony, O'Connor was a decently average bottom 6 centre forward who turned into a great player capable of going as far as he wanted under Mowbray. Not sure what it was but he seemed to get the best out of him.

Brown was suffering a bit from playing in multiple positions, centre forward, winger, 10, centre mid. Before finally getting a nailed on role in midfield that could have only helped him be the player we've seen in the last 12 years.

Mowbray was lucky to inherit a crop with talent, but the golden generation were lucky to get a manager that believed in youth and knew how to play to their strengths.
    Hey I totally agree he made them better players. All I said was that he was lucky to inherit a bunch of good young players. I followed it up by saying he also built a great team and he is one of my favorite managers. Iv honestly no idea why anyone would take exception to that. This place is absolutely bonkers at times

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    I remember walking away from that 1st league game and being so excited for what was to follow, despite getting beat off Kilmarnock. The brand of football was a joy to watch, night and day from what we had come from the season before.

Hey I totally agree he made them better players. All I said was that he was lucky to inherit a bunch of good young players. I followed it up by saying he also built a great team and he is one of my favorite managers. Iv honestly no idea why anyone would take exception to that. This place is absolutely bonkers at times
    FWIW I think you are correct

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    I think we are in an era of super tall goalies. Goram slightly small in his day. Now very small for a goalie. MCneil made a great save in LC final off a Naismith header at 0-0.

Ronnie Simpson only 5 foot 10.
    Things really do get much better the longer things pass, it was an easy save which he pushed over the bar and collided a little with the post, FFS if he'd let that in he'd have rightly been slaughtered and the goal classed as a zibi.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm eagerly waiting on him telling us what role Mowbray had in their development.
    Do you think development stops as soon as you reach the first team?

In terms of inheriting them maybe he was lucky, although I'm pretty sure they're also lucky that he was put in charge - otherwise they might have wound up being swapped for Bobby Mann or totally wasted under a rubbish coach.

Mowbray was appointed because of the talent coming through, he didn't just turn up and find them in a lucky bag.
    Last edited by The_Horde; 19-09-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Horde View Post
    Do you think development stops as soon as you reach the first team?

In terms of inheriting them maybe he was lucky, although I'm pretty sure they're also lucky that he was put in charge - otherwise they might have wound up being swapped for Bobby Mann or totally wasted under a rubbish coach.

Mowbray was appointed because of the talent coming through, he didn't just turn up and find them in a lucky bag.
    Well thats all I said, that he was lucky these players were at the club. To which you said it was nothing to do with luck. Talk about looking for an argument! He was one of my favourite Hibs managers, it wasn't even an insult.

Left by mutual consent!
    Well thats all I said, that he was lucky these players were at the club. To which you said it was nothing to do with luck. Talk about looking for an argument! He was one of my favourite Hibs managers, it wasn't even an insult.
    I've just described what I meant above. Not looking for an argument at all.

There's little luck involved in appointing someone intentionally to guide the young talent we have.

Mowbray was hired for a purpose. It simply isn't a case that any manager would've got the same out of those guys.

There's little luck involved in appointing someone intentionally to guide the young talent we have.

Mowbray was hired for a purpose. It simply isn't a case that any manager would've got the same out of those guys.
    No, I have already said he made them better players. But they were all good players anyway, who had already played a lot of first team football.

Mowbray was a punt. The guy had never managed before, he was only a first team coach. I think you are giving Petrie etc way too much credit if you think this was some masterplan for Mowbray in particular to come in and develop our young players.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Mowbray's derby record wasn't as bad as made out. He won 3, drew 2 and lost 4. The big sticking point is the goals tally: 11 scored and 19 conceded (three heavy defeats), which taint the record somewhat. There's also that semi final.

He was lucky he came Into a job with those players coming through baffled how you can’t see that not like it’s a big deal or diluting his period as our manager.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    He was lucky he came Into a job with those players coming through baffled how you can’t see that not like it’s a big deal or diluting his period as our manager.
    Or you could look at it like Hibs knew the talent was coming through and headhunted him in particular to get the best out of them.

Ergo, not lucky. There by design.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    From what I remember we could look like championship contenders one week vs Celtic and Rangers and then get gubbed by the likes of St Mirren the next.
    I remember a midweek tanking up at Inverness that illustrates this point well. Although we had big scoring away wins at places like Falkirk, Motherwell, Dens and Tannadice.

Or you could look at it like Hibs knew the talent was coming through and headhunted him in particular to get the best out of them.

Ergo, not lucky. There by design.
    And how does that stop him being lucky to have a job with such players coming through opposed to taking the job as he came with a good rep working with youngsters without the golden generation? So no I don’t think you can look at it like that to be honest.

Left by mutual consent!
    And how does that stop him being lucky to have a job with such players coming through opposed to taking the job as he came with a good rep working with youngsters without the golden generation? So no I don’t think you can look at it like that to be honest.
    Each to their own I suppose, you could say every worker in the country is lucky to have their job but it doesn't tell the full story really.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Hibs.netters were very much pro-Tony as I recall, revering him to hero like status based on what they saw on the park and his righteous rhetoric about upward spirals and winning more than you lose etc.

We took issue with him only twice IIRC over our 'comedy defending' (scapegoat of choice: Chris Hogg) and our inability to sign a keeper.

We disliked RP for failing to keep Craig Rocastle but overall, planet .net was a positive place to be in that era.
    If my memory serves me right, Mowbrays first league game was a 1 nil defeat at home to Kilmarnock yet the team were applauded off the park as we could see that team had given 100%, did everything but score and we sensed we might be onto something good. Can you imagine how a similar result against Killie would go down now ......

Did he even have a reputation for working with youngsters? As far as I'm aware his only manager experience was as First Team coach at Ipswich. Iv also just read the interview when he signed and he didnt even mention youngsters. I think its more likely the Horde is just talking nonsense.

Left by mutual consent!
    Did he even have a reputation for working with youngsters? As far as I'm aware his only manager experience was as First Team coach at Ipswich. Iv also just read the interview when he signed and he didnt even mention youngsters. I think its more likely the Horde is just talking nonsense.
    My opinion is nonsense because you don't like it?

Are you still firmly pro Hecky by any chance? I was talking nonsense when I had doubts about him away back in March as well..

He maybe didn't say it in his interview, but maybe he's the kind of guy who does his talking on the pitch.. or is that too farfetched?
    Last edited by The_Horde; 19-09-2019 at 03:58 PM.

He also made one of the best, if not THE best save I've ever seen in person v. Falkirk after he came on as a sub for Makalamby who was a bit cold and didn't feel like playing.
    I would agree totally with that.

An acrobatic tip over the bar from a point blank header which seemed to defy the laws of physics.

It was one of these intake of breath moments that you forever remember.

Left by mutual consent!
    Eh? How was it not lucky him inheriting that team? Did he have anything to do with their development? You have completely lost me with this one.
    I suspect the players available were what attracted him to the job. He chose to come to Hibs, nobody made him.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    I would agree totally with that.

An acrobatic tip over the bar from a point blank header which seemed to defy the laws of physics.

It was one of these intake of breath moments that you forever remember.
    Funny you say that, because that’s exactly what I did when it happened.

An involuntary reaction. That’s how good and unexpected the save was.

Funny you say that, because that’s exactly what I did when it happened.

An involuntary reaction. That’s how good and unexpected the save was.
    That was an unbelievable save. The way he adjusted his feet to get up to it was absolutely top class.

Another save that always sticks in my mind was by Simon Brown in the 0-3 cup game at Ibrox. Bob Malcolm hit an absolute peach of a shot from just outside the box that was headed straight for the top corner. Brown shifted his not inconsiderable weight from one foot to the other and at full length got a strong hand to it to touch it onto the bar. Had that went in it was a different game altogether.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I remember speaking to Kevin Nicol about him a few months after he was appointed, he loved him and said the players did too.

He liked the way he spoke to the players, he said that the training was top notch and they enjoyed the tactics he played in games.

It's normally a good sign when players are that enthusiastic about a gaffer and tbh the players all appeared to be happy and enjoying themselves at that time.
    Venus was a good go between with the players and Mowbray, a really good bond between all of them.

Mowbray was a good manager but also fortunate in the sense he came in just as the Golden Generation were breaking through.

The football was absolutely amazing to watch.