hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportsound

Sportsound

Interesting to hear Derek Ferguson singing Hibs praises for first half display. Goes against the grain a bit. Sounds like Killies goal hit our confidence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07ncppk
    Last edited by Since452; 17-09-2019 at 03:59 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting to hear Derek Ferguson singing Hibs praises for first half display. Goes against the grain a bit. Sounds like Killies goal hit our confidence.

Your link didn't work - fixed it for you

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Heard that in the car after the game. Couldn't quite believe it.

Left by mutual consent!

Not the first time this season I've heard something on the BBC that doesn't match up to what I've seen on the pitch.

We had a half decent control of things first half and that was about it.

We did play some decent stuff in the first half albeit toothless.

I don't think there was any problem with the 1st half apart from being a bit toothless, it's just the fact we seem to collapse very easily when we go behind, need some balls and steeliness in the middle needed.

First Team Breakthrough cookin_on_gaz's Avatar
    Did Sportsound even send a commentator to the game? The commentary during the highlights was clearly done post match in a studio.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

Seems to be the case when we get beat folk don’t remember anything good just the result and the poor elements which is probably more a case of some had enough I guess.

@hibs.net private member
    I felt Ferguson was spot on ...if we had got the first goal, I suspect we would have gone on and won the game ..

there was little wrong with our first half performance...

We didn’t create any chances but apart from that it was great I suppose 👀

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko Ko Joe View Post
    Did Sportsound even send a commentator to the game? The commentary during the highlights was clearly done post match in a studio.

Open all mics. The commentary on the footage is always added afterwards, unless the game is live on tv.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

First Team Breakthrough cookin_on_gaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Open all mics. The commentary on the footage is always added afterwards, unless the game is live on tv.
    Thanks, I did not know that. It sounded terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I felt Ferguson was spot on ...if we had got the first goal, I suspect we would have gone on and won the game ..

That’s pushing it. We were pretty comfortable but we didn’t create anything. We didn’t really give ourselves a chance to get the first goal, a couple of shots from 25 yards aside.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    That’s pushing it. We were pretty comfortable but we didn’t create anything. We didn’t really give ourselves a chance to get the first goal, a couple of shots from 25 yards aside.
    Didn’t create enough that’s true... But there couldn’t have been too many dissatisfied with our first half performance where we controlled the ball for most of it ...

Killie on the break always had a threat - and we wilted after we lost the first goal..but that was in line with what Ferguson said

Left by mutual consent!
    Didn’t create enough that’s true... But there couldn’t have been too many dissatisfied with our first half performance where we controlled the ball for most of it ...

Killie on the break always had a threat - and we wilted after we lost the first goal..but that was in line with what Ferguson said
    Which is a total myth if you look at the possession stats.

I wouldn’t say dissatisfied. But you kind of knew how it would go. We were talking at half time about how it was a game that was really there for the taking. We just don’t have anything about us to take advantage in that type of situation though.

I think it’s a sign of how poor we are that we’re talking about being good in the first half when Killie will probably feel that they were pretty comfortable themselves.

We got pass marks in the first half but pointless, since we created nothing. The pundits seem to still maintain we have a good squad, we will find out over the next coming games...

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Derek Ferguson and those quoting Derek Ferguson are the only ones who seem to think we were in any way dominant. Anybody else who was at/watched the game seem to share the opinion that there was a slight, yet noticeable, improvement for the first 30 mins or so but we never caused them any real bother.

Once killie stepped it up a gear there was only going to be one winner

Left by mutual consent!
    We were well on top the first half but they were comfortable.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Derek Ferguson and those quoting Derek Ferguson are the only ones who seem to think we were in any way dominant. Anybody else who was at/watched the game seem to share the opinion that there was a slight, yet noticeable, improvement for the first 30 mins or so but we never caused them any real bother.

Once killie stepped it up a gear there was only going to be one winner
    The goal gave them that gear and us the fear. Same happened in Motherwell. We concede it’s a complete and utter shambles for some reason. Look how Morton scored their quick two and the goal we knew was coming against St Johnstone. I still think it’s massively down to no defensive midfielder taking pressure off the defence and two many luxury players not helping out.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I wouldn’t say dissatisfied. But you kind of knew how it would go. We were talking at half time about how it was a game that was really there for the taking. We just don’t have anything about us to take advantage in that type of situation though.

I think it’s a sign of how poor we are that we’re talking about being good in the first half when Killie will probably feel that they were pretty comfortable themselves.
    Killie were poor in the first half ...bet they got a real chasing at half time ...they were much brighter in the second half ...

Look, it is clear we have a lot of missing key ingredients just now - both in attack and in a soft defence ..so I’m not trying to rewrite Saturdays game

But at half time the tone in the stands was favourable - we had been the better team. And tbh were until we lost a poor goal ..that’s all that Ferguson said - and that’s all I was commenting on

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    We get a chance to put things right with Killie next week in the Cup

It is a Cup tie so no quarter will be given or asked for

We can warm up for it against the Hearts on Sunday

It is up to the Manager to have them physically ready and mentally prepared and of course to pick the correct team formation and tactics

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

I wasn't at the game, but I just watched the whole thing on Hibs TV. We certainly DID press high up the pitch and did a pretty decent job of controlling most of the possession in the first half. Vela had a decent shot from a loose ball that was unlucky to crack off a defenders knee who knew nothing about it. Another day that goes in. Decent free kick from Mallan and a speculative effort from Horgan and that was it for attempts on goal. The passes were almost all to feet though and nothing in to space to run on to, so as ever the build up was ponderous and we very rarely threatened. At one point our high press resulted in a very loose square pass from Killi, which fell invitingly to Vela with both Kamberi and Allan running ahead of him. A good positive pass and we were in. Instead he checked back, hesitated and then gave the ball away.

A lot of passes to Kamberi bounced off him. Vela mostly passes 4 yards to Hanlon and then moves into a position behind an opposition player to avoid receiving the ball. Nothing came off for Scotty Allan, Halberg was decent without being spectacular and took his (disallowed) goal well. Porteous on the whole played well. I actually thought Mallan had a decent game. Naismith and Stevenson both did fine. Hanlon had a decent enough game until he gave the ball away and it led to the second goal. Marciano did very little. Horgan worked very hard, but his delivery was poor.

We actually played OK. Our issue was that we never really looked like scoring. Flo was pretty poor, Horgan's crossing and passing was awful and even Allan's final ball was poor. We did look better than we have for a couple of games...but that's not hard.

The biggest problem is that we had no drive and energy when we went a goal behind. It was the same one paced play. mostly neat, decent possession, no cutting edge, no pace. Basically lacking confidence and drive

Better but not good enough.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I wasn't at the game, but I just watched the whole thing on Hibs TV. We certainly DID press high up the pitch and did a pretty decent job of controlling most of the possession in the first half. Vela had a decent shot from a loose ball that was unlucky to crack off a defenders knee who knew nothing about it. Another day that goes in. Decent free kick from Mallan and a speculative effort from Horgan and that was it for attempts on goal. The passes were almost all to feet though and nothing in to space to run on to, so as ever the build up was ponderous and we very rarely threatened. At one point our high press resulted in a very loose square pass from Killi, which fell invitingly to Vela with both Kamberi and Allan running ahead of him. A good positive pass and we were in. Instead he checked back, hesitated and then gave the ball away.

A lot of passes to Kamberi bounced off him. Vela mostly passes 4 yards to Hanlon and then moves into a position behind an opposition player to avoid receiving the ball. Nothing came off for Scotty Allan, Halberg was decent without being spectacular and took his (disallowed) goal well. Porteous on the whole played well. I actually thought Mallan had a decent game. Naismith and Stevenson both did fine. Hanlon had a decent enough game until he gave the ball away and it led to the second goal. Marciano did very little. Horgan worked very hard, but his delivery was poor.

We actually played OK. Our issue was that we never really looked like scoring. Flo was pretty poor, Horgan's crossing and passing was awful and even Allan's final ball was poor. We did look better than we have for a couple of games...but that's not hard.

The biggest problem is that we had no drive and energy when we went a goal behind. It was the same one paced play. mostly neat, decent possession, no cutting edge, no pace. Basically lacking confidence and drive

Better but not good enough.
    Good summary for me ...

Also has to be added to with the fact that Porto was too far up the park for the first goal - should have been deeper than our full back - and then would have mopped up the long ball.

We’re not scoring, and losing soft goals. As people have said - it’s a combo that kills you ...

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Horde View Post
    Which is a total myth if you look at the possession stats.
    The possession stats may say it was even, but until the 70th minute the majority of the game was played in Killi's half. You can control the possession without actually having possession.

The possession stats may say it was even, but until the 70th minute the majority of the game was played in Killi's half. You can control the possession without actually having possession.
    Which is exactly what they wanted. Let us aimlessly knock it around without doing anything. Wait until we gave them it back. Then hit us on the break.

Left by mutual consent!
    Regardless of how you play the match last 90+mins playing well for 45 of them might not be enough, Its a pity that when looking for some sort of crumb of condolence its we played well for 45mins without scoring and ultimately losing. Are we really now at this juncture?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Regardless of how you play the match last 90+mins playing well for 45 of them might not be enough, Its a pity that when looking for some sort of crumb of condolence its we played well for 45mins without scoring and ultimately losing. Are we really now at this juncture?
    Not really but we played decent without doing that much in the first half and were better than Killie until they scored. Wins **** all in the grand scheme of things but Ferguson was correct in that aspect.

Left by mutual consent!
    For me, controlling the game is at very least not giving your opponent anything in the way of good chances. Which is exactly what Killie did to us the whole game.

Meanwhile if it wasn't for a good Naismith block we could've been one down before the break.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    should we simply look at the result then? can’t we analyse the different periods of the game?

This was responding to Ferguson in Sportsound saying we played relatively well for an hour a I tend to agree . He also said without a real cutting edge - something I suspect we all agree on