hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Lineker

Gary Lineker

Gary Lineker agrees to huge pay cut from his £1.75m BBC salary after fury over axing licences for OAPs.

Ridiculous salary to pay someone to talk about football.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gary Lineker agrees to huge pay cut from his £1.75m BBC salary after fury over axing licences for OAPs.

It's probably the going rate for the anchor of a flagship prime time TV show.

Saying he just talks about football, is like saying Lewis Hamilton just drives cars, or Ussain Bolt is quite good at running

They are paid for being the best at what they do.

I don’t it’s ridiculous. He’s good at what he does, why shouldn’t he be paid. Actors make hundreds of millions for movies, no different. Sure they could get some no mark and pay him £50,000 a year, but the quality will be way down.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Do the bbc pay Gary Linekar more than they pay to Scottish football then?

That used to be said about Alan Hanson, I’ve no idea how much they pay for right to show our highlights now though?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

Would be nice to say good on him. Market rates apply to commentators as well as players and managers. If hugely paid players in a time of national crisis... no wait I’m holding my breath. at least in Brasil many of the stars give something back I think it’s called conscious but there’s real problems over there but the gulf between mega rich and poor in this country is widening.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Should've went and worked for Sky instead. Would have got twice the money.

Good for him. Not a ridiculous salary because they, a massive business, obviously value him highly. He wouldn't be getting payed that much if he didn't earn them much more.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Should've went and worked for Sky instead. Would have got twice the money.
    Doesn’t he still work for BT Sport?

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    BBC invest less in their whole Scottish football production than they do in Gary Lineker.

It's fair enough that they don't pay "over the odds" for the rights to broadcast the highlights, but spending much. much less on production values, cameras and staff means the highlights programme is very poor compared with MOTD. Put simply It is selling Scottish licence payers short.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    All about opinions but I think he's a terrible presenter and that salary is an absolute joke. The amount of times he asks a question then looks away as if checking autocue and not paying attention to the answer. And don't get me started on the time they tried him presenting the Open, his interview of Jack Nicklaus was embarrassing.

I'm sure he'll survive with his BT Sport and Walkers crisps money.

@hibs.net private member
    Ridiculous salary. No-one is worth that type of money for doing a job in the entertainment industry. I don't watch MOTD that often but if I do I tape it and then fast forward through the analysis.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Crazy amount of money but they obviously felt he was worth that with respect to the show and it's viewing figures etc...

The problem though is that the BBC ultimately answers to license payers (or should) so it's hard to justify salaries of that amount in today's current climate of equality etc. along with cuts to services. We should honestly abolish the TV License as it's draconian in the face of modern streaming services and other subscription based services.

Left by mutual consent!
    He’s kind of the face of BBC sport. Can’t see that big a deal tbh.

Left by mutual consent!
    Dutch Auction time, I'll do the job for £500,000 a year and an appearance on Pointless Celebrities.

Don't think he's ever had an original thought but is a master of stating the bleeding obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Don't think he's ever had an original thought but is a master of stating the bleeding obvious.
    He doesn't really state the obvious though, he's not an analyst, he's paid to facilitate the analysts and it's a job he does very well.

MOTD is probably one of shows that brings in the BBC's highest ratings, so it's main presenter is always going to be well paid.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Gary Lineker is worth every penny. Face facts, more people will tune in for MOTD than will ever watch a Scottish football match on the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Good for him. Not a ridiculous salary because they, a massive business, obviously value him highly. He wouldn't be getting payed that much if he didn't earn them much more.
    How does he earn them any money?

Nobody watched Match of the Day for its presenter. They want to watch the football highlights. The rest is just noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    How does he earn them any money?
    Because the things he presents get very high ratings? He definitely contributes positively to the BBC's coffers.

Because the things he presents get very high ratings? He definitely contributes positively to the BBC's coffers.
    You do realise that if a show on the BBC gets no viewers or 20 million they get the same amount of money?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    You do realise that if a show on the BBC gets no viewers or 20 million they get the same amount of money?
    You do realise that is absolute rubbish? They sell their shows to other broadcasting companies, the more popular those shows are, the more they sell for.

First Team Breakthrough
    **** the BBC. Scotland should be getting 8% of the national spend on English football. We get just over £1 million
    We should get circa £16million
    Why the SFA haven’t called this out is an absolute joke.
    Second class citizens and it seems the BBC spend more on Women’s football, cricket and other English sports rather than support the game north of the border

Left by mutual consent!
    You do realise that is absolute rubbish? They sell their shows to other broadcasting companies, the more popular those shows are, the more they sell for.
    And Lineker has nothing to do with that. You could put a mop in the presenters chair and MOTD would get high ratings. I also don't think they can sell MOTD to anyone else as it's the premier league who have the rights overseas etc.

I can't be doing with sycophants bootlicking someone who gets paid a lot with the They're worth every penny guff. I remember back pre 08 when Goodwin was the apple in the eye of the Edinburgh financial types and being told he was worth every penny.

Im still puzzled at why you guys pay a tv licence, a licence to have a tv, wtf. I buy my tv and then choose a package from a multitude of providers including internet, hundreds of channels including bbc, sports channels that provide live english games, rugby formula 1 and loads of foreign tv. That for 40 euros pm. No licence needed, dont think any other country keeps you hostage for a licence.

They can't sell that show anywhere else in the world as they don't own the rights to do so.

Please check out the facts before posting absolute drivel...

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    And Lineker has nothing to do with that. You could put a mop in the presenters chair and MOTD would get high ratings. I also don't think they can sell MOTD to anyone else as it's the premier league who have the rights overseas etc.

I can't be doing with sycophants bootlicking someone who gets paid a lot with the They're worth every penny guff. I remember back pre 08 when Goodwin was the apple in the eye of the Edinburgh financial types and being told he was worth every penny.
    People watch MoTD for more than just the goals. If the production, presenters and pundits didn't matter then no one would watch it as the highlights are on YouTube.

Gary Lineker does a very difficult job very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Im still puzzled at why you guys pay a tv licence, a licence to have a tv, wtf. I buy my tv and then choose a package from a multitude of providers including internet, hundreds of channels including bbc, sports channels that provide live english games, rugby formula 1 and loads of foreign tv. That for 40 euros pm. No licence needed, dont think any other country keeps you hostage for a licence.
    We live in a dictatorial state that makes people pay for a service that could well be a subscription service at this point in time to brainwash the masses with their propaganda.

It would make places like the Soviet Union & China look on with envy at this way of state control.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    People watch MoTD for more than just the goals. If the production, presenters and pundits didn't matter then no one would watch it as the highlights are on YouTube.

Gary Lineker does a very difficult job very well.
    A very difficult job. Geez peace. He's a jug eared goof with crap patter. You could put Eilidh Barbour in as the presenter and she'd do a superior job for a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post

How much do you think he should be paid?

(As if it's our business)