hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Paul Hanlon

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you think he was good against Killie?

Not at his best but still a better performance than Hanlon.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PISTOL1875 View Post
    Lets be honest here Keith , if there had been interest we would've known about it.. Good players do not hang around at Championship level for 3
    seasons do they . especially at a team like Hibs..

As for Lewis , he hasn't played at Left back in all his time at Hibs has he ?? Collins deployed him in midfield as did Butcher.. , Fenlon had him stuck at right back for a period of time.. That I am afraid makes your point null and void..
    He broke into the team with Collins but for the most part he's played left back.

I never used to be keen but he has definitely got better/more consistent as he got stronger.

Suppose you have to ask why nobody has managed to replace him in the last 10 years if he's that bad.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Do you think he was good against Killie?
    Did he play

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Hanlons never been a great defender, too slow and weak, looked good in the championship as he was playing against lesser players, was murder for years before that.
    When Lennon was here, having efe alongside him probably helped him, but now he's gone and Jacksons replaced him it's like the blind leading the blind.

Let's be honest here , if Paul Hanlon was that good as people proclaim he is then he wouldn't have played in the Championship for three seasons , the same can be said for another Mr Hibs Lewis Stevenson.. Both of them would've been snapped up pretty sharpish...

These guys were part of the team that got us relegated FFS and they are still playing today.. Two reasons why Hibs will never move forward as a club.

These two aren't part of the solution , they are part of the problem and will be until they are binned... People need to open their eyes and face reality....
    Also part of the team that achieved the best Hibs result and highest honor in 60+ years.

Its like, what do people expect Hibs to achieve? Top 4? a cup every so often? These guys have achieved that, they are by definintion good enough to achieve those things with Hibs. 2 absolute club legends.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackyboy View Post
    Hanlons never been a great defender, too slow and weak, looked good in the championship as he was playing against lesser players, was murder for years before that.
    When Lennon was here, having efe alongside him probably helped him, but now he's gone and Jacksons replaced him it's like the blind leading the blind.
    Load of *****

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Why does it always have to be black and white with players? They’re either great or terrible. Hanlon has fluctuated between being poor, like the last 18 months and at other times being excellent, like the 17/18 season and driving us forward as well as Ambrose did. Think he’s had a very up and down career, probably illustrated with a relegation and a Scottish Cup medal.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Not at his best but still a better performance than Hanlon.
    On a par I'd say. Played a poor pass that gave away possession that led to Killies opener.

@hibs.net private member
    A lot of posters forgetting football is a team game. The overall quality of our team has sadly gone backwards - this has left defenders like Hanlon more often exposed and with less viable options in front of him when in possession. As a result he looks poorer. I dont think he is though - more that his weaknesses have been tested more severely and his strengths - like passing ability out of defence - have had less opportunity for expression with a dearth of willing runners making themselves available. Get the balance right in midfield and Hanlon along with the rest of the defence will start to shine more readily.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    He broke into the team with Collins but for the most part he's played left back.

I never used to be keen but he has definitely got better/more consistent as he got stronger.

Suppose you have to ask why nobody has managed to replace him in the last 10 years if he's that bad.
    He won MOM against Killie in the final playing LM in front of Murphy, he played there also in front of McGivern during Fenlon's reign. Lewis is very capable of playing midfield, he's not a natural attacking LB, defensively fairly sound though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He won MOM against Killie in the final playing LM in front of Murphy, he played there also in front of McGivern during Fenlon's reign. Lewis is very capable of playing midfield, he's not a natural attacking LB, defensively fairly sound though.
    Think we played 433 in that final with Lewis left of a central 3 with Fletch Benji Ivan up top.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 18-09-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think we played 433 in that final with Lewis left of a central 3 with Fletch Benjamin Ivan up top.
    Cant really remember tbh but Lewis was superb at dropping into the space Murphy left when he went on his runs up the pitch, I just remember this young lad in midfield looking like he'd been there for years they way he played that day.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    There were at least 5 players much better than Stevenson that day, benji Fletcher, Brown, Whittaker Jones . He was given it if my memory is right by Ian McCall, just got it because he was young and played well. I like Lewis, but if he was man of the match that day, McCall was watching a different game to me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    There were at least 5 players much better than Stevenson that day, benji Fletcher, Brown, Whittaker Jones . He was given it if my memory is right by Ian McCall, just got it because he was young and played well. I like Lewis, but if he was man of the match that day, McCall was watching a different game to me.
    Fletcher was the best player on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Load of *****
    Discuss

Left by mutual consent!
    Discuss
    Losing Hanlon to injury magnified the chances of getting relegated when we did.

After we got relegated he was brilliant in loads of matches against Premier teams including Aberdeen Hearts Inverness and Dundee Utd. He was also brilliant in games against Rangers as well as being extremely consistent in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Losing Hanlon to injury magnified the chances of getting relegated when we did.

After we got relegated he was brilliant in loads of matches against Premier teams including Aberdeen Hearts Inverness and Dundee Utd. He was also brilliant in games against Rangers as well as being extremely consistent in the league.
    IMO not playing McPake when he was fit and Butchers complete exclusion of Kevin Thomson were the two big ones for me in regards to us getting relegated when we did.
    Hanlon was decent for Hibs whilst we were in the championship for the most part, which led me to believe he had simply developed as a player and was starting to look good.
    The position we're in now is he has been poor for several months, he's 29 this should be his prime.
    He's not injured, he's just not that good a player.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Fletcher was the best player on the park.
    Benji for me. But the whole team played pretty amazing really.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Benji shouldve had a hatrick with his header off the post towards the end. Benji at his best really was a nightmare for defenders. Powerful, athletic, and a great finisher.

I too didn't see him as MOM but I think his young age and the way he played I get it, for me Benji or Fletcher were better candidates, I was just proving a point the Lewis was a good midfielder before becoming a LB.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

i think you will find that he made his debut against I C T at LB under Mixu.. Hibs won 3-0 that with Dean Shiels scoring a hat - trick.. Mixu moved quickly to bring in Zarabi inhis position and Hanlon was replaced..

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Also part of the team that achieved the best Hibs result and highest honor in 60+ years.

Its like, what do people expect Hibs to achieve? Top 4? a cup every so often? These guys have achieved that, they are by definintion good enough to achieve those things with Hibs. 2 absolute club legends.
    Yeh he did but that was 3 years ago now.. This type of reply is everything that wrong with the Hibs Support... Living off sentiment..

A cup every so often ?? 9 years between cup victories is not every so often in my book.. Maybe yours..

IMO not playing McPake when he was fit and Butchers complete exclusion of Kevin Thomson were the two big ones for me in regards to us getting relegated when we did.
    Hanlon was decent for Hibs whilst we were in the championship for the most part, which led me to believe he had simply developed as a player and was starting to look good.
    The position we're in now is he has been poor for several months, he's 29 this should be his prime.
    He's not injured, he's just not that good a player.
    When Hanlon was fit we were in the top 6.

Club legend or not Hanlon isn't playing well enough to be starting at the moment.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    i think you will find that he made his debut against I C T at LB under Mixu.. Hibs won 3-0 that with Dean Shiels scoring a hat - trick.. Mixu moved quickly to bring in Zarabi inhis position and Hanlon was replaced..
    That worked right enough. Much as Paul Hanlon is in poor form right now (and I’m seek of him) what a dick that signing made Mixu look. Hanlon has been consistent in all his time at Hibs. Zarabi. Christ almighty.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I was watching the same game as you I suppose and thought Lewis was the MOM by an emotional cuddly mile. I never heard anything from Ian McCall that day funnily enough.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    I thought Fletch put in the work for Benji to shine. Was a joy to watch, the majority of the team!

Yeh he did but that was 3 years ago now.. This type of reply is everything that wrong with the Hibs Support... Living off sentiment..

A cup every so often ?? 9 years between cup victories is not every so often in my book.. Maybe yours..
    Yes. Then being top quality in the league and finishing top 4 was just over a year ago, though. I'm not sentimental, both quality players in poor form.

If Hibs win a cup every 9 years for the rest of my life I'd be delighted. Would see me on 8 cup wins if I made it to 80, any 80 year olds on here seen Hibs lift 8 majors?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I was watching the same game as you I suppose and thought Lewis was the MOM by an emotional cuddly mile. I never heard anything from Ian McCall that day funnily enough.
    I am with you - additionally, it’s a somewhat irrelevant debate this isn’t it - whether Lewis was best man on that day or not - surely everyone agrees he was excellent in his midfield role? so not sure what those who say he wasn’t MOM are trying to debate ...

MOMs are always subjective ...

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I am with you - additionally, it’s a somewhat irrelevant debate this isn’t it - whether Lewis was best man on that day or not - surely everyone agrees he was excellent in his midfield role? so not sure what those who say he wasn’t MOM are trying to debate ...

MOMs are always subjective ...
    Man of the match awards are always subjective, and you only need to be in hospitality to see how daft some of these awards are.

When we beat Killie 5-1 in 2007, i watched Benji score twice, Fletcher score twice, Jones start us off with a great goal, Scott Brown and Boozy run the midfield with Both full backs defend and get forward brilliantly abily assisted with the others who Stevenson played well with too.

None of us on the bus back would have given Lewis Man of the match even though we all said he'd done very well, we just thought there were many players who deserved the award more that day, especially the ones i mentioned.