hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 352

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lennon didn’t have any consistency in his selection when using 352/532 formation last season and I think contributed to us playing poorly in this style.

A lot of fans are expecting that a wing back needs to consistently hit the byline and provide a cross, but a player who can get forward with width and then play it in field is also and asset and lewy is more than capable of this.

Flo cannot play up top alone. Not sure why people think that all he needs is a decent supply... he also needs a partner to take defenders away and create space.
    What was inconsistent about it? It was no more inconsistent than any other team selection for any other selection.

As for Flo being unable to play up top on his own, that’s drivel. It’s a myth that was perpetuated by the shambolic 2-1 defeat at Tynecastle. Barker and Boyle didn’t shift of the touchlines and the midfield played too deep and didn’t get up and support him. Flo struggles when he’s isolated like most Centre forwards.

Have no idea where to start with your second paragraph

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    What was inconsistent about it? It was no more inconsistent than any other team selection for any other selection.

As for Flo being unable to play up top on his own, that’s drivel. It’s a myth that was perpetuated by the shambolic 2-1 defeat at Tynecastle. Barker and Boyle didn’t shift of the touchlines and the midfield played too deep and didn’t get up and support him. Flo struggles when he’s isolated like most Centre forwards.

Have no idea where to start with your second paragraph
    So two posters’ replies agreeing in a different way that Flo can’t play up top alone, yet read like they are disagreeing or that I have somehow said something strange... in his time at Hibs Flo has flourished with a partner next to him up front, due to defences having to mark 2 players and getting dragged about... this opens up space for the midfield to drive forward or to find a through ball for the top 2 to get on the end of.

As for rebutting the first query, Lennon last season struggled with injuries and the inability to files the same team and tactics regularly... this was the inconsistency. If he, or any other manager for that matter, were to pick his team and stick with it for a run of games then the team would find its feet... too much chopping and changing creates uncertainty in the players’ minds.

As for my second point, you asked me to point out which players we have that play positions I’m suggesting well, I specifically picked our potential wing backs and made the point that while they’re not bending it in like beckham, their attacking abilities are suitable to play down the wings and create chances other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Call it a 5-3-2 if you want, that’s fine with me.

Right now we’re conceding loads and not looking like scoring much. Go to 5 at the back for next weekend and at least make us hard to score against. Keep it tight and try to grow into the game.

It’s not the ideal way I want to see Hibs play football but it’s where we are just now. If we go into the derby next week with 2 centre half’s and no defensive midfielder we’ll get pumped.
    Playing 5 defenders doesn't make it any harder to score against you, same as playing 5 forwards doesn't make you score loads. Its all about execution.