hibs.net Messageboard

John bercow: The little guy whose had a massive impact.

Just thought id pay my tribute at the most unlikely hero of our times. Bercow as a youngster was as right wing as you could get but once he became speaker has imho being a massive voice of reason and holding the tory govts to account. Has he maybe overstepped the mark,definetely but we owe him a great debt for ensuring we maintain parliamentary democracy. If we had a different speaker we could be facing a no deal brexit and all the ensuing chaos and probably a large tory majority inflicting their extreme right wing agenda on the public. Thanks for everything john and of course for making bbc parliament fantastic viewing and actually getting folk interested in politics again.
    His put downs have been legendary and has actually controled a febrile commons superbly.
    Whoever follows has one hard act to follow. Will greatly miss him bellowing orrrrder,orrrder. Im sure we havent heard the last of him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think Bercow was great box office. A preening narcissist who really enjoyed being centre stage, but he was great at tearing a strip off politicians on all sides.

I actually think he has been quite consistent in sticking up for parliamentary sovereignty and the majority view of MPs prevailing no matter what it is.

He's tailor made for the reality circuit, the only question is whether we see him on Strictly or I'm a Celeb first.

UNLOCK!

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    He made quite a journey in his adult life from Monday Club (imperialist and racist) to appointing the first black female chaplain to the Commons. He was courageous enough to challenge himself and to change, which I think is always a sign of intelligence. I remember the great speech he made when paying tribute to Tony Benn, upon Benn's retirement. It won't be the same in parliament without the wee man.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I think being appointed to a role like Speaker changes you, and if you were an ideologue, you surrender that to what the office requires.

I also think that you canít fail to fulfill the duties of the office, meaning you will undoubtedly upset those in the party you came from, when you make decisions that go against their views.

I have liked him and as has been posted, he has been a reforming Speaker.

At very certain points, the Speaker is absolutely critical in how this country is governed. I hope his replacement is robust, honest and free-minded, whilst understanding the strange panoply that we call a constitution.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Top bloke

Hope we see a lot more of him before the end of October... starting next week when he presides over the re-opened House again.

Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    #flyingflamingo

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Praise for a Tory, no thanks.

Hero, top bloke.

Sorry guys,not having it. He's clever, I'll give him that. Wee Nazi prick to a loveable reformist.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Heís like a proper man only smaller.

United we stand here....

Odd figure but he's been a hero over this crisis.
    His wife was a Labour MP I think.

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    I don't like the guy. But there's no doubting the commitment he put into his role. Hopefully he chooses a respectable replacement before dictator Boris tries to plonk his own arse in the seat.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't like the guy. But there's no doubting the commitment he put into his role. Hopefully he chooses a respectable replacement before dictator Boris tries to plonk his own arse in the seat.
    He doesn't choose!!! There is a vote in the commons to appoint a speaker. Each party puts forward a nomination, your party will put forward Pete wishart.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    He doesn't choose!!! There is a vote in the commons to appoint a speaker. Each party puts forward a nomination, your party will put forward Pete wishart.
    I know the rules and laws. I also know Boris isn't a follower of them.

I know the rules and laws. I also know Boris isn't a follower of them.
    But you said you hoped Bercow chooses a respectable replacement...how is he supposed to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    But you said you hoped Bercow chooses a respectable replacement...how is he supposed to do that?
    Bad wording on my part. He doesn't choose the speaker directly, but by stepping down when he did he ensured he had an element of control over who would be choosing the next speaker.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Bad wording on my part. He doesn't choose the speaker directly, but by stepping down when he did he ensured he had an element of control over who would be choosing the next speaker.
    How? The MPs vote.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

He has no control at all regarding the next speaker

You mean it's the current batch of MPs who will be choosing rather than the set elected after the next general election.

Gotcha.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    No one says order like he does. Sounds almost like oohdah. Not that he will play up to that either.....He has been terrific though. At times he has been more effective than the official opposition.

He absolutely loves himself. Canít stand the bloke and the fact heís a Tory only confirms my suspicions that they are all snobby up their own arse Etonian ****ers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    He absolutely loves himself. Canít stand the bloke and the fact heís a Tory only confirms my suspicions that they are all snobby up their own arse Etonian ****ers!!!!
    That would be a valid point if he had went to eton

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    That would be a valid point if he had went to eton
    Heís in their club, thatís good enough for me.

Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Praise for a Tory, no thanks.

Hero, top bloke.

Sorry guys,not having it. He's clever, I'll give him that. Wee Nazi prick to a loveable reformist.
    No respect for the opinion of anybody who throws that word about.

If anything he's held back the far right of the Tory party in the face of humungous pressure.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    No respect for the opinion of anybody who throws that word about.

If anything he's held back the far right of the Tory party in the face of humungous pressure.
    I've no problem using the word Nazi, if it talks and acts like one then it normally is one. However Bercow is the exact opposite, he's been a stalwart of our democratic system by putting aside party allegiances and upholding a neutral stance when making rulings in the house. Proof of this is the fact that his largest critics come from inside his own party.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Lindsay Hoyle 1/2 Fav

Harriet Harman 2/1

Chris Bryant 14/1

Rosie Winterton 25/1

Jacob Rees-Mogg 50/1

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I've no problem using the word Nazi, if it talks and acts like one then it normally is one. However Bercow is the exact opposite, he's been a stalwart of our democratic system by putting aside party allegiances and upholding a neutral stance when making rulings in the house. Proof of this is the fact that his largest critics come from inside his own party.
    The use of emotive, insulting and misplaced language is trending atm. The 'Leave' campaign and Trump are masters in its use. People have become way too free with derogatory phraseology when they want to belittle anyone whose views are contrary to their own