hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

Football monthly subscription

In a way this is a bit like HSL subscriptions and other well known direct debit models (FOH and the Aberdeen one) but would this work instead of season tickets?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49608471

I would see it as a membership scheme, and for crowd management you would have to choose what stand you were in, but I would like it to be entry to the stand and not a reserved seat, making it easier for you to take a friend along occasionally.

Any thoughts?
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Isn't this basically the same thing as the payment plan already in place? I also think I read before potentially from LD that receiving the money upfront means the club can then work out what the football budget is for the season ahead, which they can spend in the summer.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a way this is a bit like HSL subscriptions and other well known direct debit models (FOH and the Aberdeen one) but would this work instead of season tickets?

I would see it as a membership scheme, and for crowd management you would have to choose what stand you were in, but I would like it to be entry to the stand and not a reserved seat, making it easier for you to take a friend along occasionally.

Any thoughts?
    It would give the supporters a lot more power.

Hibs, for example, have got all their season ticket money and can budget reasonably accurately for the season.

Wth the current feeling toward Heckingbottom, it'd be easy for a chunk of disgruntled fans to unsubscribe to force the club into sacking him.

You can see how it would be unmanageable for clubs who rely on ticket sales for the majority of annual income.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 12-09-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Just been on FC Copenhagan's website and does seem very interesting.

For the same seat there is 3 different subscription models, lets say its West Stand upper seat inline with D on the 18 yard box.

C Card subscription: 1800DKK (£216)

- All home games in the Super League and the Cup *.- The right of pre-emption for European qualifiers and European group games in your own place.
    - 10% in Fanshoppen and Telia Parkens stalls
    - Membership of the loyalty program (over 15 years) and Club Leo (up to 15 years).
    - Lending to friends when you can't use it yourself.

Gold Card subscription: 2600DKK (£312)

- All home games in the Super League and the Cup *.
    - All European qualifiers.
    - Pre-emption rights and 20% discount for European group games at your own place.
    - Membership of the loyalty program (over 15 years) and Club Leo (up to 15 years)
    - Season ticket grant of DKK 50 for fankasse

Platinum subsciption: 3700DKK (£443)

- All home matches in the Super League and the Cup *.
    - All European home matches.
    - E-cash for Fanshoppen. Adult DKK 700 and child DKK 550
    - 4 invitation tickets to selected basic games.
    - Membership of loyalty program (over 15 years) and Club Leo (up to 15 years)
    - Season ticket grant of DKK 50 to Fankasse.
    - Priority to FCK Events **

Some fantastic value there and forward thinking. Well done FCK.

Incidentally for a league match behind the goal you can get a ticket for a tenner and an away ticket for a Danish league game seems to be about 13 quid. From memory that's the same price as a Jack D & Coke across there!

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

Hibs, for example, have got all their season ticket money and can budget reasonably accurately for the season.

Wth the current feeling toward Heckingbottom, it'd be easy for a chunk of disgruntled fans to unsubscribe to force the club into sacking him.

You can see how it would be unmanageable for clubs who really on ticket sales for the majority of annual income.
    Youve made a very good point. The scenario could lead to instability and therefore a lowering of standards.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

You can see how it would be unmanageable for clubs who rely on ticket sales for the majority of annual income.
    I quite liked the idea of a membership style system, much like what was described above for Copenhagen with different levels of commitment and different add ons to the basic entitlement of getting home games to better suit individual needs including Hibs fans who live overseas.

Something like:

Basic - £5 month, newsletter and thank you got supporting the club. Access to an app for news, interviews, highlights, etc.
    Silver - £10/m, basic + 5 category b tickets for games of your choice
    Gold - £30/m, basic + every home game in your own seat.
    Platinum - £40/m Gold + an upgrade to hospitality on a game of your choosing.

However, I think you raise some valid points which would need to be considered. I was probably looking at it from the eyes of someone who will sign up and go to the games no matter how badly we're playing. We don't need new schemes for that, there's a 9-10k core there already. It's something to get the additional 5k who sometimes sign up and the additional again c.30k who come to the odd final to come along more that is required.
    I'm not sure if the membership scheme would entice those people either way.

Monthly subscriptions can work the other way too though and encourage people to maintain their season ticket. The decision to make about paying £400 for the next year is harder than just letting your £30/m direct debit roll over.
    Mon the Hibs.

I've thought about this before as I miss quite a lot of games but persuade myself to keep getting an ST on the basis that's it's a 'membership' and I am continuing to be connected to the club.

The monthly season ticket payment plan effectively acts as a membership scheme anyway so why not take it a step forward and do something a bit more modern and engaging. In saying that, if it's to work there is a need to make people feel like they are getting something back for their investment and that they have a long term stake in the club. Is there scope for a kickstarter-like membership scheme with multiple tiers, such as:

Golden Generation membership (£9.99 per month): Hibs TV subscription, newsletters/updates etc, and minor clubstore and ticket discounts.

Turnbulls Tornados membership (£19.99 per month): All of the above + a free category B ticket voucher every 3 continuous months of membership.

The Famous Five membership (44.99 per month): All of the above + entry to every home game and some form of reward for uninterrupted membership each 12 months - perhaps free entry to one/some/all of the following season's friendly/euro/cup games?

The Persevered membership (£59.99 per month): All of the above + additional rewards for uninterrupted membership, such as a strip or hospitality voucher for the following season.

There are also all sorts of things you could do online, eg fans can manage their own membership account and view progress/achievements/rewards, track/share what games they have been to etc. These kinds of systems are used to hook people into all sorts of things across culture, why not your football team? This isn't even to mention the level of feedback and information you could get from fans via the same system.

This would obviously need to be much more thoroughly thought out and costed but I can't help thinking the old season ticket model is going to be outdated in the era of fan donation/ownership. Can we bring season ticket holders, HSL donators and potentially newbies into one system that gives the fans something back but ultimately makes the club more money? Pie in the sky at this stage of course but just an idea.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    I've thought about this before as I miss quite a lot of games but persuade myself to keep getting an ST on the basis that's it's a 'membership' and I am continuing to be connected to the club.

The monthly season ticket payment plan effectively acts as a membership scheme anyway so why not take it a step forward and do something a bit more modern and engaging. In saying that, if it's to work there is a need to make people feel like they are getting something back for their investment and that they have a long term stake in the club. Is there scope for a kickstarter-like membership scheme with multiple tiers, such as:

Golden Generation membership (£9.99 per month): Hibs TV subscription, newsletters/updates etc, and minor clubstore and ticket discounts.

Turnbulls Tornados membership (£19.99 per month): All of the above + a free category B ticket voucher every 3 continuous months of membership.

The Famous Five membership (44.99 per month): All of the above + entry to every home game and some form of reward for uninterrupted membership each 12 months - perhaps free entry to one/some/all of the following season's friendly/euro/cup games?

The Persevered membership (£59.99 per month): All of the above + additional rewards for uninterrupted membership, such as a strip or hospitality voucher for the following season.

There are also all sorts of things you could do online, eg fans can manage their own membership account and view progress/achievements/rewards, track/share what games they have been to etc. These kinds of systems are used to hook people into all sorts of things across culture, why not your football team? This isn't even to mention the level of feedback and information you could get from fans via the same system.

This would obviously need to be much more thoroughly thought out and costed but I can't help thinking the old season ticket model is going to be outdated in the era of fan donation/ownership. Can we bring season ticket holders, HSL donators and potentially newbies into one system that gives the fans something back but ultimately makes the club more money? Pie in the sky at this stage of course but just an idea.
    I really really like this idea 💡
    A lot of people don’t buy ST as it’s seen as a large outlay
    And if you don’t get to all games you are “wasting “ money
    Not worth it attitude

But £59.99 pm is reasonable (obvs kids etc cheaper)

I like it a lot you’re definitely definitely onto a winning idea

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    I really really like this idea 💡
    A lot of people don’t buy ST as it’s seen as a large outlay
    And if you don’t get to all games you are “wasting “ money
    Not worth it attitude

But £59.99 pm is reasonable (obvs kids etc cheaper)

I like it a lot you’re definitely definitely onto a winning idea

GGTTH
    What would the club do to fund signings/purchases at the beginning of a season if a large chunk of the revenue was spread over 12 months?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    What would the club do to fund signings/purchases at the beginning of a season if a large chunk of the revenue was spread over 12 months?
    You obviously start it in advance say 2/3 months ie the end of the season to build up a “balance” ???
    Then maybe everyone must give a notice period?? Say 2 months
    If they want to leave
    As said it needs a bit of work but the base is there

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    You obviously start it in advance say 2/3 months ie the end of the season to build up a “balance” ???
    Then maybe everyone must give a notice period?? Say 2 months
    If they want to leave
    As said it needs a bit of work but the base is there

GGTTH
    Do you mean that you would start a 12 monthly payment set up say every May and instead of the club having £4M it would have maybe £600K and be at the mercy of fans pulling out.Don’t think that would ever work to be honest.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post

Any thoughts?
    I pay my money up front and even if I opted for some kind of staged payment plan, Hibs get money up front for the whole season guaranteed. I also know that I get to sit in the seat I chose and have first dibs on it for games outwith the league games. I want to choose where I sit but it would work if I only choose where I stand. The status quo suits the club suits me. If you want an on top subscription/membership scheme then fair enough but not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Do you mean that you would start a 12 monthly payment set up say every May and instead of the club having £4M it would have maybe £600K and be at the mercy of fans pulling out.Don’t think that would ever work to be honest.
    As I’ve said
    I do think there’s something in there
    I also think that we’d get a hell of a lot more taking up the option as
    Your paying smaller amounts over 12 months
    Also expats would chip in with their bit
    I don’t think we should chuck it out so quickly

GGTTH

Yes but say you have a monthly wage bill of £500K.At the moment the club brings in a huge amount of money during what is effectively the close season.This covers outgoings when there is no money coming in from say pay at the gate etc If there was a big monthly sub take up this would be bringing in a lot less than the fixed outgoings.