hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooseLife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have the amount of life experience as you do, you'll have to forgive me, that figure being over inflated just means that we didn't need all of the Europa League money for our transfer business, no one has addressed the point about the missing money, it's just people debating if we payed 200K for the sevco loan despite me editing it to 50k swiftly after it was pointed out to me it was wrong, I've overestimated our spend and underestimated transfer income, where is the Mcginn money?
    Typically these loans deals are financially settled by a loan to cover the wages of the player that are being covered by club who are being lent the player. So if we are being lent the player for 44 weeks and paying £2k of his wage there would be a loan fee of £88k. It may be paid in monthly instalments. There also may some compensation for the depreciation of his transfer value to Rangers over the 44 weeks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Don’t spite your face and keep your nose on. He moved on for more money and more opportunity, just as the vast majority of footballers would do. It hasn’t worked out for him but that’s not a sound reason for us going in the powder puff with him. If he’s available and of a mind to come back, I say we go for it.

I can sort of see where he's coming from though, we gave Efe a chance to earn his residency visa and seemingly offered him a very lucrative new deal, even if he was leaving in the January, it would've been nice if he had left with a transfer giving us a wee bit back instead of going for nowt using his wee get out clause.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I can sort of see where he's coming from though, we gave Efe a chance to earn his residency visa and seemingly offered him a very lucrative new deal, even if he was leaving in the January, it would've been nice if he had left with a transfer giving us a wee bit back instead of going for nowt using his wee get out clause.
    On the other hand, it seemed he struggled to get a club after leaving having done nothing after a trial at Derby. Perhaps he was advised to leave like he did to make it easier to get a club. Who afterall was going to pay a fee for him considering he can’t get a gig down the road as a free agent just now?

Left by mutual consent!
    I think Efe was playing for Neil Lennon, rather than Hibs. I'm not sure Hecky would be able to manage him as well.

@hibs.net private member
    While the other defenders clear their lines by blootering the ball up the park Efe would take the more difficult option of carrying the ball out of defence and either picking out a midfielder or going on a mazy run. This is why IMO there's currently no link up between defence and midfield because none of them do what Efe did.

Signing Efe should be a no brainer, to me if the no money line gets used it could be because of a lack of ambition from Ron

Just reading livingston are linked with ambrose,I hope we have a really good shortlist for a decent ball playing cb if we are passing up the chance to sign efe.

Efe hasn't played for over a year and never was the disciplined sort.
    Could take him quite a while to get up to speed.

We don't need Efe. We need younger and fitter guys.

What a waste of a year for him. Should have stayed at Hibs.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    Just reading livingston are linked with ambrose,I hope we have a really good shortlist for a decent ball playing cb if we are passing up the chance to sign efe.
    If Livi get Efe they will have a solid defensive core with him and Marv.
    Really hope Hibs talk to him, can’t see us doing better.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Efe was an absolute bomb scare at the start of each season each season he was with us. Up until October last season he cost us countless goals.

He’s not kicked a ball since the 28th December 2018. He’d likely need a couple of months to get to the level he was when he left.

I’d be really surprised if we went for him. We’ve got 4 decent CB’s and he’s been available to sign at any point since July. I don’t see why we’d now go for him now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Efe was an absolute bomb scare at the start of each season each season he was with us. Up until October last season he cost us countless goals.

He’s not kicked a ball since the 28th December 2018. He’d likely need a couple of months to get to the level he was when he left.

I’d be really surprised if we went for him. We’ve got 4 decent CB’s and he’s been available to sign at any point since July. I don’t see why we’d now go for him now.
    That October point you make is a big exaggeration...and in addition, very few errors from Efe weren’t resolved by himself and his own pace...

I would take Efe back in a heartbeat.

We already have 4 centre half’s but he is head and shoulder above all of them imo. We should be signing him and getting rid of Jackson to accommodate this.

His actual defending is underrated imo, one on one he was brilliant, had good pace and won a hell of a lot in the air. He’s very experienced and brings a calmness to the defence which we lack.

Did he make the odd mistake? Yes, and it was highlighted more as it was down to him trying to play out more, not an actually defensive error. He probably made less errors which lead to goals than the other 4 have.

We also miss him in an attacking sense, him being able to step out and beat a man would force the opposition to come onto us and free up space for others.

He’s not played in a year but is a fit guy anyway and I don’t think it would take him long to get upto speed, especially with this winter break.

We’ve went wrong with our recruitment lately but getting guys like Bogdan and Ambrose are big boosts imo.

We need proven quality blended with young players with motivation to succeed.

I think he was labelled a bomb scare at Celtic early on which has stuck with him rather unfairly in Scotland. He had one performance that sticks out for us against Aberdeen where he was very poor, but for me he was one of our best players most weeks and when he left was in exceptional form.

If Livi get him I’d be spewing
    Last edited by Unseen work; 03-01-2020 at 06:35 AM.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

He did not cost us countless goals, why write down nonsense

@hibs.net private member
    Right now Efe would probably be our best centre back. Yes his age means he's a short term solution but we're leaking goals at an alarming rate.

If there is any truth Livi are after him then his wage demands can't be that high. We should absolutely be offering him an 18 month deal.

Can anyone honestly say our defence has been the same since he left last year?
    Its been a pretty bad year defensively without him either right back or centre back imo.
    Why take a risk when we know what the big guy brings to the side?

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    You would be hard pushed to find many fitter guys than Efe. The guy is an athlete. Never missed a single league game for us due to injury. Played every single game in the premiership in our first season back up. He's only 31 - Davjd Weir played at a high level until 40. Efe should be a priority.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    He did not cost us countless goals, why write down nonsense
    Last season we conceded 6 goals up to October in 7 games. I'm really interested to see the exhaustive list of Efe mistakes.

Winston Ingram over to you.

Blog Entries
    Efe is great in a back 3 where he can be the spare man who has the freedom to launch attacks. He's far less good as a conventional cb who requires the discipline to man mark. All above is IMO of course. He certainly didn't cost us countless goals but neither did he only give away goals by losing possession. His performance at Molde, as an example was very poor. In addition to his probable lack of fitness there's another issue. Although Efe was a popular guy in the squad there were some ructions because of the perception that NL cut him much more slack than anyone else. I doubt Jack Ross will be prepared to change formation to resign and accommodate an ageing, probably unfit cb with a dodgy work ethos.

Get Efe signed. The guy oozes quality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Last season we conceded 6 goals up to October in 7 games. I'm really interested to see the exhaustive list of Efe mistakes.

Winston Ingram over to you.
    You shouldn't counter nonsense by quoting equal nonsense. We conceded 19 goals in games Efe played through September last season. Dont be selective & ignore the 4 in the Faroes & the 3 at Molde.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Cannae remember Efe costing us goals per se

He had his “ moments” but always seemed to get away with it

Kilmarnock away when Lenny punted him into midfield and a poor day at the office Aberdeen away are the only two I can think of where he might be culpable

As others have said the guy was class he should never have left but I think that ship may have sailed

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Efe is an exceptionally good player. We should be giving it a real go to get him in for a couple of years at least.

Left by mutual consent!
    Would he be as keen to turn up for training, or give his best for the team, if Neil Lennon isn't the boss)

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Efe hasn't played for over a year and never was the disciplined sort.
    Could take him quite a while to get up to speed.
    I cant understand why he hasnt played - seems a bit odd, its not like he will have been short of offers in the various transfer windows since then.

I loved the guy, but wonder if he just cant be ersed any more?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I can't remember Efe having any injury issues. He always played the full 90 minutes as well. Must have been one of the fittest guys at the club when he was here.

Left by mutual consent!
    Adam Jackson or Efe Ambrose

Absolute no brainer

Guy comes to Hibs, gets his Visa, p1sses off at the earliest opportunity, signs for Derby who then got rid as soon as possible (without him playing a single game) and he hasn't worked since.

Left by mutual consent!

Our defence this term have been sloppy in possession, caught well out of position, left players unmarked and generally been poor. All far far worse than anything I ever saw from Efe.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Guy comes to Hibs, gets his Visa, p1sses off at the earliest opportunity, signs for Derby who then got rid as soon as possible (without him playing a single game) and he hasn't worked since.

Efe got a visa when he signed a 2 year deal in 2017 so i dont know where this myth has come from unless you think spending a year and a half at a club is "pissing off at the earliest opportunity"

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7594

"The defender, who can operate at centre-back and right-back, required an endorsement from the Scottish Football Association and a VISA prior to his deal being wholly ratified, and the Club are delighted that this has been achieved."
    Last edited by we are hibs; 03-01-2020 at 08:40 AM.