hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: New car advice

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

New car advice

My Wife is needing a new car and we have set a budget.
    I obviously want to get as much value as I can.
    Looking on Autotrader , we could afford a brand new corsa 1.4 petrol 5 door.

I like warranty and no mot with brand new cars but there is also a 2016 Audi A3 1.6 TDI with full leather interior and 15000 miles on it which is within our budget.

I would normally go for the Corsa as its brand new but I'm thinking Audis would be very reliable and would still have 18 months or so on the warranty.

If I was buying brand new , is there still room to move on the price listed online if I were to go in the show room?

Same applies for nearly new too. How much room for manouvere on the ticket price?

Any tips to help me get the best value for the money?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The manufacturer's warranty on the Audi would be for 3 years so unless the seller is offering something, you won't be covered. Nice car though.

If you're open to other manufacturers, have a look on http://www.broker4cars.co.uk/. There are some amazing bargains to be had. A good spec Fabia will be cheaper than the Corse.

I've bought online before and I always recommend doing so.

I'm travelling back from Heathrow just now, but if you want to chat about this, PM me and I'll give you my mobile number.

Edit: there are other online brokers, but that's an easy site to give you an Idea of what's available.

Cheers for that HR.
    IIRC you had a similar thread a few years ago.

Checked a few of these sites. In fact , I have about 10 open at the same time :-)

I find it mind boggling . I'm not really into cars and get lost in the model variants.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Another thing.
    Ive noticed a Mazda 2 has popped up 132 miles away thats about 1.5k cheaper than the same model and spec locally.
    Its listed as nearly New and only has 10 miles on the clock. Its from a Mazda main dealer.

Are these types of deals worth travelling for or are they just lures to get you in the showroom?

How can it be so much cheaper than the rest ?

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another thing.
    Ive noticed a Mazda 2 has popped up 132 miles away thats about 1.5k cheaper than the same model and spec locally.
    Its listed as nearly New and only has 10 miles on the clock. Its from a Mazda main dealer.

Are these types of deals worth travelling for or are they just lures to get you in the showroom?

How can it be so much cheaper than the rest ?
    That's a pre registered car. It's a very common practice to sell stock.

It just means that they're the first registered owner. You'll get a brand new car for a much lower price.

My current car was sitting in the showroom with a £51k price tag. I wasn't going to spend that much so I asked if they had something in my price range.

It turned out that they'd pre-registered that very car and I got it for £39k. 10 miles on the clock, but I'm technically the second owner.
    Mazda's are very good, but ask the Edinburgh showroom if they have any pre-reg cars.

Or look online. 👍
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    If you have a particular model and spec in mind try CarWow, if you haven't already.
    You get offers from all over the country from dealers giving their best price.

A mate in my offce has just signed up for a personal lease deal with a company called Jet Vehicle Finance, he's getting a brand new Vauxhall Grandland X, £24k motor for £150/month 8k annual milage allowance.

I've always bought my cars in the past because I do 20k+ miles per annum so lease deals never appealed to me but at that sort of price I might need to reconsider.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    If you have a particular model and spec in mind try CarWow, if you haven't already.
    You get offers from all over the country from dealers giving their best price.

A mate in my offce has just signed up for a personal lease deal with a company called Jet Vehicle Finance, he's getting a brand new Vauxhall Grandland X, £24k motor for £150/month 8k annual milage allowance.

I've always bought my cars in the past because I do 20k+ miles per annum so lease deals never appealed to me but at that sort of price I might need to reconsider.
    How much up front is he paying?

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    How much up front is he paying?
    Would need to check with him but looking at their web site it looks like it's 9 months maximum deposit, so that would be £1350 max up front.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Carwow is your friend if you're definitely wanting a particular make/model/variant of a new car.

Pre-reg is good if they're knocking that much off the price. Always good to talk to at least two dealers before taking the plunge though, sometimes deals that look great aren't as good as you think!

Good luck!

If you're looking at the Mazda, I'd recommend that you get the Sport Nav version and, if you do a lot of driving in the town, consider going automatic.

Brokers4cars are saying £13771 for the manual Sport Nav in metallic grey. Add about £500 for auto.

That's a brand new car.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    If you're looking at the Mazda, I'd recommend that you get the Sport Nav version and, if you do a lot of driving in the town, consider going automatic.

Brokers4cars are saying £13771 for the manual Sport Nav in metallic grey. Add about £500 for auto.

That's a brand new car.
    Started with a budget of 10k and pushed it to 12.
    Im not going any higher.

Some Mazda 2's going for 11-12 pre reg.

Im also on Car wow and have had some interesting offers or Corsas including one who are having an event at the weekend and said they woild discount the car wow quote .

Started with a budget of 10k and pushed it to 12.
    Im not going any higher.

Some Mazda 2's going for 11-12 pre reg.

Im also on Car wow and have had some interesting offers or Corsas including one who are having an event at the weekend and said they woild discount the car wow quote .
    Good idea to stick to budget because it's so easy to get sucked in by extras etc

Have a look at the Skoda Fabia. My neighbour got one and loves it.

https://www.whatcar.com/skoda/fabia/...ack/review/n47

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Good idea to stick to budget because it's so easy to get sucked in by extras etc

Have a look at the Skoda Fabia. My neighbour got one and loves it.

https://www.whatcar.com/skoda/fabia/...ack/review/n47
    Its irrational i know but my Wife is not keen on Skoda.

We are test driving a Corsa Sri VX Line and a Peugeot 208 Tech Edition and a VW Polo tomorrow so fingers crossed it all goes according to plan.
    Also just found out that my wifes current car , which she has been driving for 5 years was a cat D write off. WTF ? Had no idea all.

We are test driving a Corsa Sri VX Line and a Peugeot 208 Tech Edition and a VW Polo tomorrow so fingers crossed it all goes according to plan.
    Also just found out that my wifes current car , which she has been driving for 5 years was a cat D write off. WTF ? Had no idea all.
    Polo would be best option. Had one as a courtesy car and was impressed.

Hold hold it value best as well.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    For me it’s an absolute no brainier, buy the Audi. People get hung up on having a new car and pay a premium for a new car when they could have a much much better car for the same money. Obviously everyone will have their own view on this, but a Corsa or an Audi? Absolutely everything about the Audi will be better apart from the cost of maintaining it. If that’s not an issue go for the better car every time.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    For me it’s an absolute no brainier, buy the Audi. People get hung up on having a new car and pay a premium for a new car when they could have a much much better car for the same money. Obviously everyone will have their own view on this, but a Corsa or an Audi? Absolutely everything about the Audi will be better apart from the cost of maintaining it. If that’s not an issue go for the better car every time.
    I ended up getting the Corsa.
    Just wanted peace of mind with the manufacturers warranty and the fact I'll have paid back the loan before the warranty runs out.
    The Audis available in Scotland for my budget were 3 years old with 15-20k miles and i didnt want to risk buying one and risking there being something needing repaired after a few months.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I ended up getting the Corsa.
    Just wanted peace of mind with the manufacturers warranty and the fact I'll have paid back the loan before the warranty runs out.
    The Audis available in Scotland for my budget were 3 years old with 15-20k miles and i didnt want to risk buying one and risking there being something needing repaired after a few months.
    The safer bet and the same choice I would have made, never again will I buy a used car. Pre registered all the way every time now.

Worth doing a hpi check. Although the term write off is deceiving. The cost of repair to insurance companies that car d motors are actually quite common. Cat d is an uneconomical repair with minor non structural damage. So in essence nothing to worry about with regards to your wife driving it. I've always said I would rather drive a cat c/d that has been repaired properly. Rather than something that had been crashed but not registered and covered up by a bodge job.

@hibs.net private member
    I picked up a brand new, pre registered Seat Leon Cupra Lux on Sunday and saved around £8k. Some amazing pre registered deals out there.