hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His lawyer will argue that his client is observing the National Mourning period till Monday and the court should take that into account,rather than alert every police force in these Islands to hunt him down.

Cannae ignore this though
    Its not going to go away,Stokesie
    Not sure how stokes old man would feel about him being in mourning.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    T

Not sure how stokes old man would feel about him being in mourning.
    I was being facetious

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    Won us the Scottish Cup and is a Hibernian legend, literally, a legend. Regardless of his off field antics.
    Indeed

I would help fund any legal costs he has or any other help he needed in the future.

Will Always ALWAYS be a legend for that day.

Changed our history, our club, our memories.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    I would help fund any legal costs he has or any other help he needed in the future.

If he's made an innocent person's life hell, then i most definitely wouldn't extend him a shred of support.

I thank him for the goals. Those 95 minutes aside, the guy is as comprehensive a tool as we've had at our club.

Could still be banging in the goals for the Hibs if he'd screw the nut. Shame but will always be a legend for That Day in May.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    If he's made an innocent person's life hell, then i most definitely wouldn't extend him a shred of support.

I thank him for the goals. Those 95 minutes aside, the guy is as comprehensive a tool as we've had at our club.
    Not saying he isn’t a walloper but those 95 minutes are amongst the most significant contributions made by an individual player in the entire history of our club and can’t really be disregarded all that easily.

They should at the very least have bought him a bit of forgiveness from some of us.

They certainly have done with me, even if I do take a dim view on IRA sympathising, Elvis paggering, or former spouse hassling.

That forgiveness isn’t limitless but it exists nonetheless.
    Last edited by Smartie; 17-09-2022 at 12:02 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=neil7908;5923468]I'm not expecting perfection. In fact Maradona is an interesting one as I actually have a lot of time for him. I'm not on some of moral crusade. Something like having an affair is none of my business. I have a petty liberal view of drug taking so again that's not something I'd say is terrible in and of itself as its mostly self destructive.

Smashing folk in pubs and harassing women is just nasty stuff and I'm not personally going to use the term legend. Imo you can't really separate the athlete from the man that easily.

If others want to call him a legend fair play, that's up to them. But given I've had folk having a go at me in pubs for nothing and my girlfriend has dealt with stuff like harassment before so just I can't ignore it or brush it off.

There isn't two Anthony Stokes, it's the one guy playing for Hibs and doing this stuff so I just don't believe you can split it out like that and praise one but not the other.[/QU

You have a lot of time for a footballer who cheated on the biggest stage that football has, whose excuse was "he was helped by God". Please explain that excuse in the context of this thread. That one act, over and above his undoubted footballing ability, made him a legend in Scotland (and Argentina), and by yourself going by the slant of your thread.
    His cheating helped his team win the match, and more.

Fact: The Hibs team were brilliant in the cup final but his (stokes) performance won Hibs the Scottish cup without cheating or being given a helping hand by God. A truly magnificent performance which (among others) made him a legend for Hibs.

Fact: Stokes' persona off the field of play, for Hibs and in his private life, was in the main indefensible but a football legend should be measured by his on field actions only because of the word "football".

You will see that I have not attacked Maradona for his off field activities as you have attacked Stokes for his. I would need a lot of space.
    As a man I have no time for Stokes but I would always buy him a pint for what he gave me and my son and all Hibs supporters on that day in May.
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 17-09-2022 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Pretty poor comments. So what, if he kills someone it doesn't matter because he won us the cup?

He's an absolute tit. Great player, no doubt, but really is a tosser.
    Then lets have him a legend on football matters - this thread, and call him whatever takes your fancy on the Holy Ground.

I'll always love him for his Hibs contribution.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He’s a dobber.

But he can keep his legendary status for the cup.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=CockneyRebel;7102837]
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I'm not expecting perfection. In fact Maradona is an interesting one as I actually have a lot of time for him. I'm not on some of moral crusade. Something like having an affair is none of my business. I have a petty liberal view of drug taking so again that's not something I'd say is terrible in and of itself as its mostly self destructive.

Smashing folk in pubs and harassing women is just nasty stuff and I'm not personally going to use the term legend. Imo you can't really separate the athlete from the man that easily.

If others want to call him a legend fair play, that's up to them. But given I've had folk having a go at me in pubs for nothing and my girlfriend has dealt with stuff like harassment before so just I can't ignore it or brush it off.

There isn't two Anthony Stokes, it's the one guy playing for Hibs and doing this stuff so I just don't believe you can split it out like that and praise one but not the other.[/QU

You have a lot of time for a footballer who cheated on the biggest stage that football has, whose excuse was "he was helped by God". Please explain that excuse in the context of this thread. That one act, over and above his undoubted footballing ability, made him a legend in Scotland (and Argentina), and by yourself going by the slant of your thread.
    His cheating helped his team win the match, and more.

Fact: The Hibs team were brilliant in the cup final but his (stokes) performance won Hibs the Scottish cup without cheating or being given a helping hand by God. A truly magnificent performance which (among others) made him a legend for Hibs.

Fact: Stokes' persona off the field of play, for Hibs and in his private life, was in the main indefensible but a football legend should be measured by his on field actions only because of the word "football".

You will see that I have not attacked Maradona for his off field activities as you have attacked Stokes for his. I would need a lot of space.
    As a man I have no time for Stokes but I would always buy him a pint for what he gave me and my son and all Hibs supporters on that day in May.
    A footballer cheating on the pitch!? I've never heard of such behaviour!! Seriously though, every single footballer cheats on the pitch be it diving, feigning injury to waste time etc. Maradona was just the most high profile example but it's endemic. The greatest player ever, Messi, has an 8 minute montage on YouTube of him diving and there are some belters.

So no, a footballer cheating on the pitch, the ref somehow missing it and him coming up with a daft excuse is not as big an issue imo as harassing women. One only matters in the make believe world of football, the other us sadly a horrible every day occurrence that should be stamped out, not encouraged by buying perpetrators a pint.

If you want to talk Hibs legends let's go with someone who actually cares about our club and who had a pretty important part on that day - SDG.

Have you actually read what he did. Stupid comment.

@hibs.net private member
    He’ll never be forgotten for playing a huge part in us lifting the Scottish Cup but deary me, he’s got serious issues.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=neil7908;7102916]
    Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post

A footballer cheating on the pitch!? I've never heard of such behaviour!! Seriously though, every single footballer cheats on the pitch be it diving, feigning injury to waste time etc. Maradona was just the most high profile example but it's endemic. The greatest player ever, Messi, has an 8 minute montage on YouTube of him diving and there are some belters.

So no, a footballer cheating on the pitch, the ref somehow missing it and him coming up with a daft excuse is not as big an issue imo as harassing women. One only matters in the make believe world of football, the other us sadly a horrible every day occurrence that should be stamped out, not encouraged by buying perpetrators a pint.

If you want to talk Hibs legends let's go with someone who actually cares about our club and who had a pretty important part on that day - SDG.

Re-read the last two lines of my post then re-read your post.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=CockneyRebel;7102979]
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

Re-read the last two lines of my post then re-read your post.
    So I should ignore the rest of your post, which is about three quarters what you wrote?

Maybe you should read the last line of my post and reflect on what a true Hibs legend looks like. Its not someone who doesn't give a **** about Hibs and stalks women.

Your free to buy him a pint next time you see him of course. Not for me though. Stevenson and SDG will get as many from me as they want.
    Last edited by neil7908; 17-09-2022 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Have you actually read what he did. Stupid comment.
    Yes I did. He clearly has some issues and he has committed a crime, probably not prison time worthy but should still needs to be dealt with. He probably needs some help / support hence my comment given his legendary status.

Did you read something different that suggested his crime was more serious? If so then happy to revise view. I am not playing down what he did, just taking on face value.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Each to their own.

Giving your money to a guy who’s earned huge money in his career because he can’t be bothered to turn up for a court appearance is a very bad use of your own cash. Perhaps your family would appreciate it more?

Left by mutual consent!
    Stokes is an utter welt and keeps the company of utter welts. Thanks for winning us the cup but it doesn't excuse him being a bellend. I'm surprised he hasn't got wee Barry to get some of his goons to go around and threaten the lassie. She must be brave standing up to him.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looks like he’s off to the clink and deservedly so.

Yes I did. He clearly has some issues and he has committed a crime, probably not prison time worthy but should still needs to be dealt with. He probably needs some help / support hence my comment given his legendary status.

Did you read something different that suggested his crime was more serious? If so then happy to revise view. I am not playing down what he did, just taking on face value.

Do you really not consider stalking and harassment to be a serious crime? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, it's a genuine question.

As a female, the thought of it absolutely chills me to the bone. There are countless cases of women who've been murdered by a stalker after the police have taken little or no action when it was reported.

Quote Originally Posted by McHibby View Post
    Do you really not consider stalking and harassment to be a serious crime? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, it's a genuine question.

As a female, the thought of it absolutely chills me to the bone. There are countless cases of women who've been murdered by a stalker after the police have taken little or no action when it was reported.
    I agree totally.
    She must have been terrified.
    He also frightened the girls family.
    And he has admitted to that.
    He needs to go to the court and face the judgement.
    He may also need mental health help.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 17-09-2022 at 03:34 PM.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar

Are we sure it’s the same guy, I’m not convinced from the paper pictures…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Then lets have him a legend on football matters - this thread, and call him whatever takes your fancy on the Holy Ground.

I'll always love him for his Hibs contribution.

Apologies if I have offended anyone. I was not trying to deliberately play down his crime but in hindsight I can see why it looked that way. I understand how bad stalking can be on victims given recent high profile cases.