hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    So the big question now is: can we beat Bulgaria at Hampden, and then one of Norway or Serbia?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So the big question now is: can we beat Bulgaria at Hampden, and then one of Norway or Serbia?
    I think you know the answer to those questions!!

Time to drop the older players and use the rest of this campaign to bed in the younger players. We have the makings of a good midfield and really need a fit Leigh Griffiths up front. Not sure how he fixes the problem at the back though...

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Lukaku, Mertens and De Bruyne gave a masterclass against an admittedly weak defence barring Robertson. No lack of effort from Scotland but the lack in quality was shocking. I watched Scotland through the 70s and went to my first game in 1981. This is the worst team in terms of comparative quality against their group rivals that I have ever seen. Abject failure by the SFA to implement the changes needed to keep up. Depressing.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I didn't bother watching, the result being a formality. We are nowhere near being competitive in qualification.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Norway finished above Bulgaria in their nations league group. But I’ve seem them quoted as being potential opponents a few times. How does that work? Thought it’d be between Finland, Norway, and Serbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Norway finished above Bulgaria in their nations league group. But I’ve seem them quoted as being potential opponents a few times. How does that work? Thought it’d be between Finland, Norway, and Serbia.
    Finland are possibly going to qualify automatically through the normal route so no need for them to be in the play offs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Time to drop the older players and use the rest of this campaign to bed in the younger players. We have the makings of a good midfield and really need a fit Leigh Griffiths up front. Not sure how he fixes the problem at the back though...
    Porteous

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Finland are possibly going to qualify automatically through the normal route so no need for them to be in the play offs.
    Cheers, hadn’t realised that.

Left by mutual consent!
    I bet if Clarke could turn the clock back he'd have stayed with Killie and kept himself very much in the frame for a more prestigious job down south. He must wonder what he was thinking of taking on the Scotland job as it's going to put a big blot on his CV.

There was a lot of clamour for Clarke to get the job but all it's proved is that it doesn't matter who the manager is when the quality of players at their disposal is light years behind the better teams.

First Team Breakthrough
    100 quid on Belgium -2, easy money!

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Absolute nonsense. He's been the best player in the league this season and was the only one to get pass marks tonight.
    Ryan Christie is not good enough. Best player in the league based on what? Goals? Didn't realise that playing in a squad that vastly overpowers virtually everything else in the league and scoring goals makes you best player in league. Think you need to show more than Christie does. De Bruyne shows what a best player in league type player needs to do - influence matches. Not score the 4th in a rout.

Dont even get me started on his first touch...

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Lukaku, Mertens and De Bruyne gave a masterclass against an admittedly weak defence barring Robertson. No lack of effort from Scotland but the lack in quality was shocking. I watched Scotland through the 70s and went to my first game in 1981. This is the worst team in terms of comparative quality against their group rivals that I have ever seen. Abject failure by the SFA to implement the changes needed to keep up. Depressing.
    I thought there was a lack of effort. Don’t know if it stems from lack of belief but nobody wanted to do the dirty side of the game.

Give De Bruyne time and his quality is obviously amazing but it was just a token effort to stop his cross for the second. Same with his shot for the fourth.

Watching De Bruyne, that’s proper effort. After the ball from the first minute to the last when it would be so easy for him to just stroll through the game if he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Put your money on a Scotland win. Its Argentina '78 all over again!
    Oops! Hope nobody took my advice

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Naw
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Dont think Norway are miles away from qualifying either probably should have beat Sweden away at the weekend 1-1 but had a number of chances to win.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I thought there was a lack of effort. Don’t know if it stems from lack of belief but nobody wanted to do the dirty side of the game.

Give De Bruyne time and his quality is obviously amazing but it was just a token effort to stop his cross for the second. Same with his shot for the fourth.

Watching De Bruyne, that’s proper effort. After the ball from the first minute to the last when it would be so easy for him to just stroll through the game if he wanted.
    Definite lack of competitiveness and passion, chasing shadows at times and bit like Hibs midfielders just let players run off them creating huge issues for the defence. Agree about the De Bruyne point every man knows he can deliver world class crosses and passes the time we gave him was criminal at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I think you know the answer to those questions!!
    The answer is "of course we can".

We need to fix some pretty awful parts of our team and build on the positives we already have. The good news is that some of our consistent failures will be running out of opportunities.

It's not been a good few days, but we're only a few wins away from qualifying for our first tournament in 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Dont think Norway are miles away from qualifying either probably should have beat Sweden away at the weekend 1-1 but had a number of chances to win.
    They're still in with a shout but I think they'll miss out. They're currently 4th and still have Spain to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The answer is "of course we can".

We need to fix some pretty awful parts of our team and build on the positives we already have. The good news is that some of our consistent failures will be running out of opportunities.

It's not been a good few days, but we're only a few wins away from qualifying for our first tournament in 22 years.
    Steve Clarke quoted as saying he won't experiment when this is a chance to get the good younger players bedded in during competitive fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Porteous
    Kidding.