hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

Graeme Mathie to Killie

http://ww.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/fo...front-19491254

Given how our last two summer transfer windows have gone would this be a massive loss? George Craig can go with him too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Given how our last two summer transfer windows have gone would this be a massive loss? George Craig can go with him too.
    Bit harsh I think he and George have been at the club at a time when our fortunes have improved immensely. There is only so much that this role can do IMO, you can recommend players however the coach will I am assuming have the final say. Think he is from through the west maybe this is just him getting a similar job closer to home. Given how we have started the season I think we should have concerns generally how things are going to work under Ron though.

@hibs.net private member
    Could someone copy and paste the article please?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Bit harsh I think he and George have been at the club at a time when our fortunes have improved immensely. There is only so much that this role can do IMO, you can recommend players however the coach will I am assuming have the final say. Think he is from through the west maybe this is just him getting a similar job closer to home. Given how we have started the season I think we should have concerns generally how things are going to work under Ron though.
    I’m not sure any scrutiny can be directed at Ron just yet. There’s a football department in place which he put his trust in and they’ve failed massively by the looks of it.

I often find that if we sign a good player people put it down to the recruitment team but any poor players are often blamed on the manager. While I think there’s a chance Heckingbottom (and Lennon) signed a couple of their own the majority will be recruitment team recommendations. Doidge for example, I’m sure he was a target under Lennon as well. Heckingbottom also commented that Newell was one we were interested before he arrived.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 05-09-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Could someone copy and paste the article please?
    Graeme Mathie is the front-runner to become Kilmarnock’s new head of football operations.
    The 36-year-old is currently head of player identification and recruitment at Hibs.
    Mathie- whose dad Ross also played for Killie- was previously a scout at Celtic before he headed to Easter Road.
    The former Motherwell player has worked alongside several Hibs managers like Alan Stubbs, Neil Lennonand now Paul Heckingbottom.
    Mathie works strongly on data analysis and has also put together a number of presentations for in-coming transfers at Hibs.
    Kilmarnock are looking to revamp their football operations department and Mathie is very much at the forefront of their thoughts.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I would think that it would be a bettter job for him with a higher profile.

I'll tell you in May

Last 2 managers have ignored most of his recommendations, maybe feels time to go where his work is appropriated, plus it's a step up doing the same role as Craig.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    A good egg, a passionate and enthusiastic guy but well past his sell by date at Hibs.

George Craig and Paul Heckingbottom next please
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 05-09-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Last 2 managers have ignored most of his recommendations, maybe feels time to go where his work is appropriated, plus it's a step up doing the same role as Craig.
    I see this is going to be the regular defence of our recruitment team and those in charge of it. PH was brought in because he would work within our structure. He championed the structure and said he’d use it to its full effect. If he’s gone against that then someone within the club has to take the blame. There is of course no evidence to suggest the club and manager haven’t been working together on transfers.

How do you know this?

Probably cheesed off at recent events surrounding signings
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    What recent events?

What recent events?
    Signing players that were not recommended by scouts?

@hibs.net private member
    More likely just has an opportunity to move to a higher position within the game and he might accept it. Not getting at you specifically Baldy but I don’t get all the negativity about every possible change at our club. Every working person looks for opportunities to progress.
    The article implies that he is only one of the people being considered for the position at Killie. If he does not get the position or decided not to move what will the negativity focus on then?
    Last edited by CentreLine; 05-09-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Signing players that were not recommended by scouts?
    Which players were these out of interest?

As I’ve said, I’ve no doubt PH and NL will have signed a couple of their own players. The majority will be recommended by our absolutely fantastic “footballing department”.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    How do you know this?
    I’m going to hazard a guess that he doesn’t.

Left by mutual consent!
    Which players were these out of interest?

As I’ve said, I’ve no doubt PH and NL will have signed a couple of their own players. The majority will be recommended by our absolutely fantastic “footballing department”.
    Goodness knows what he’s done recently to be headhunted to a high position then.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Goodness knows what he’s done recently to be headhunted to a high position then.
    Ex Hibs boy has just joined the Killie board. Probably recommended someone he knows.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I don't know if the signings were recommended by the recruitment team or were players Heckingbottom wanted (you've got to imagine Jackson was a player he wanted) with GoalsMcGinlay saying Vela and Newell were two players Heckingbottom was advised against signing.

We've certainly taken a different approach in that all our initial signings came from the lower leagues of England, with none of them having experience of playing in Scotland. Contrast that with previous signings, who were typically players who had played up here, often young, with a point to prove, supplemented by some "exotic" signings like Malonga. The last three signings looking more like the type we had brought in previously.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ex Hibs boy has just joined the Killie board. Probably recommended someone he knows.
    Thanks, didn’t know that. Helps with a potential shake up in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    More likely just has an opportunity to move to a higher position within the game and he might accept it. Not getting at you specifically Baldy but I don’t get all the negativity about every possible change at our club. Every working person looks for opportunities to progress.
    The article implies that he is only one of the people being considered for the position at Killie. If he does not get the position or chided not to move what will the negativity focus on then?
    Fair enough reply. Think when some aspects aren't going well, negativity begins to breed. I'm beginning to be more negative than I was before. Maybe spending too much time with hermit crab?

Left by mutual consent!
    Get poaching staff from Motherwell and Livi please. Both seem to be able to pick up gems on a low budget.

If we believe in the more scientific process for identifying players then I don't think the manager should be allowed to ignore the recommendations. I personally don't believe in mantra "the manager has an eye for a player". If we end up with the wrong players then, imo, there is something wrong with the process that needs to be improved. I am probably I'm a minority in that I want our player recruitment to be as much like the "moneyball approach" as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I don't know if the signings were recommended by the recruitment team or were players Heckingbottom wanted (you've got to imagine Jackson was a player he wanted) with GoalsMcGinlay saying Vela and Newell were two players Heckingbottom was advised against signing.

We've certainly taken a different approach in that all our initial signings came from the lower leagues of England, with none of them having experience of playing in Scotland. Contrast that with previous signings, who were typically players who had played up here, often young, with a point to prove, supplemented by some "exotic" signings like Malonga. The last three signings looking more like the type we had brought in previously.
    Saves me writing this.

Stubbs used the scouting system perfectly and had a great eye for a player. Lennon used a few agents and players he already knew, some worked, some didn't. As above 2 of Heckingbottom's choices were flagged by the scouts as not good enough for the money being spent but he wanted them anyway, Hallberg looks a typical recruitment team signing, out of the blue unknown like Malonga and Slivka.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Saves me writing this.

Stubbs used the scouting system perfectly and had a great eye for a player. Lennon used a few agents and players he already knew, some worked, some didn't. As above 2 of Heckingbottom's choices were flagged by the scouts as not good enough for the money being spent but he wanted them anyway, Hallberg looks a typical recruitment team signing, out of the blue unknown like Malonga and Slivka.
    Is this fact or speculation? Someone stated further up the thread that Newell was a player identified before Heckingbottom came in

Quote Originally Posted by Jackyboy View Post
    Is this fact or speculation? Someone stated further up the thread that Newell was a player identified before Heckingbottom came in
    https://youtu.be/gY4bnc5Zxrc

He specifically says that Newell was one he has known for years but the club had as well and “everyone was on board” with his signing. Couple of minutes in.

Vela was a recruitment team name. Last season.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    If he’s doing such a bad job why are killie wanting him?

United we stand here....

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    https://youtu.be/gY4bnc5Zxrc

He specifically says that Newell was one he has known for years but the club had as well and “everyone was on board” with his signing. Couple of minutes in.
    Cheers for that. He must of been doing something right down south then. Frankly, he looks like a fish out of water in all the games I've seen him in this season so far.