hibs.net Messageboard

Hybrid View

Last edited by Greenbeard; 03-09-2019 at 03:12 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Love our community and how multicultural it is. Makes me miss Leith so much. Can't wait to come back.

@hibs.net private member
    Thanks for making me aware of this. Great project and some very good shots. Destined to be a tog with a surname like Ilford

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Very bohemian, as it should be. The same photographer went along Gorgie Road and has hundreds of photos of Yams in kipper ties, M & S slacks, twin set and pearls (men and women), unwashed Hearts tracksuits.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Got to love the way hipsters reinvent areas in their own image. To me "Leith Walk" (it only starts at Pilrig Street) has deteriorated rapidly in the last five years.

As far as I can see, the only pub approaching "traditional" is the Windsor. Likewise the greasy spoons are disappearing to be replaced by "artisan" cafes selling stuff at twice the price.

There used to be a cracking selection of second hand shops on the walk, again these have gone. All in all, gentrification might be good for property prices, but that excludes the type of people who really made it a vibrant place, in the past.

All you are left with is a sterile, ersatz version of the former working class area of any city in Europe.

Leaving on a positive note though, browsing through this site is a pleasure.

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Got to love the way hipsters reinvent areas in their own image. To me "Leith Walk" (it only starts at Pilrig Street) has deteriorated rapidly in the last five years.

As far as I can see, the only pub approaching "traditional" is the Windsor. Likewise the greasy spoons are disappearing to be replaced by "artisan" cafes selling stuff at twice the price.

There used to be a cracking selection of second hand shops on the walk, again these have gone. All in all, gentrification might be good for property prices, but that excludes the type of people who really made it a vibrant place, in the past.

All you are left with is a sterile, ersatz version of the former working class area of any city in Europe.

Leith Walk/Elm Row is one of my favourite places in the city, I can't think of any other areas in Edinburgh with such a mixture of people, it's anything but sterile.

Left by mutual consent!

Very good post.

I can exist in todays inner cities and enjoy what they have to offer but I'd be lying if there wasn't a part of me that mourned the Leiths of the world loosing their edge and heritage.

Pre the last twenty years or so it didn't need a bunch of trendy hipsters to have character. Character oozed out of every street in the place.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

I was in Robbie's a couple of weeks ago and it was still fairly traditional then.

Time has moved on. What Leith is now is just as 'Leith' as Leith was then. I am proud to be from Leith and love how it is evolving. It still has endless character. I sort of get where you are coming from about hipsters, but it is just an attractive area. Better that than being left in the past like Gorgie. Dalry is great nowadays though, very decent scran.

Imagine about 10 or 15 years ago if you had told folk that by 2019 there would be bars in the vicinity of Duke Street / foot of Leith charging upwards of a fiver a pint, you'd have been laughed at. Probably not a Main Forum thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Imagine about 10 or 15 years ago if you had told folk that by 2019 there would be bars in the vicinity of Duke Street / foot of Leith charging upwards of a fiver a pint, you'd have been laughed at. Probably not a Main Forum thread though.
    True. Nae wonder pubs are struggling to survive, given supermarket prices are a fraction of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    True. Nae wonder pubs are struggling to survive, given supermarket prices are a fraction of that.
    I hear what you're saying, although I regard myself as landing in the middle of both extremes as I detest drinking in the house but, have nae interest in paying some of the silly prices charged for "Craft beer".

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I hear what you're saying, although I regard myself as landing in the middle of both extremes as I detest drinking in the house but, have nae interest in paying some of the silly prices charged for "Craft beer".
    I will swally in the hoose when it's four bottles of Guinness milk stout for six quid at Tesco

I also miss the traditional pubs, my local closed last year. But at the end of the day, if more people used the traditional pubs then they would not be forced to close.

First Team Breakthrough cookin_on_gaz's Avatar
    I stay out in Carrick Knowe and been working out at Ocean Terminal lately. The bus journey there takes forever but is an amazing way to see how much the culture of the town changes as you travel from the west of the city down to Leith.

The trudgery and bleakness as it journeys through Stenhouse and along the Western approach is stark contrast to the biscuit tin tourist trap that's is Princes Street. Once it passes the Playhouse, however, the variety in cultures, races, sights and sounds is second to none.

The only complaint I have is the number of boarded up shops but hopefully that is something that will change in the future.

Those pictures are fantastic and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk