hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The defence

The defence

Last 4 matches we have shipped 14 goals.

3 of the 4 teams are Morton in the cup, St.Johnstone and motherwell. In what planet is that acceptable or defendable?

The whole back line is chronically slow.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

3 of the 4 teams are Morton in the cup, St.Johnstone and motherwell. In what planet is that acceptable or defendable?

No sane person could defend that defence, result of no replacing when we could.
    Last edited by A Hi-Bee; 31-08-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling is as bad as our defence

@hibs.net private member
    The way he's set us up is an absolute joke. He keeps sticking with the same formation and personnel and expecting different results.

What's the definition of insanity again?

Coaching Staff
    Ageing, slow, predictable and lacking any link up threat - Hanlon has been dreadful last few months and Whittaker at full back again shows 1) we’re in trouble and 2) no development player is trusted to come in.

That said, whole midfield is rank rotten too. Passengers that watch the game run past them.

Defending is a team game, starting on the training pitch. It's definitely not just the back 4 to blame.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Defending is a team game, starting on the training pitch. It's definitely not just the back 4 to blame.
    Very true. That midfield might as well be non existent when it comes comes to shielding the defence. Every Hibs fan can see Mallan is not the capable of playing that far back. But there he is week after week.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Given a lot of those defenders have a record of dependability, that may suggest it's the coaching and set up.

They look beyond their collective sell by date i’m afraid. Whitty was horrific defensively today

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Given a lot of those defenders have a record of dependability, that may suggest it's the coaching and set up.
    I agree, I wasnt at the game today but last week, Stevenson looked unsure if he was to support Middleton in attacke and hardly ventured past the half way line. That is not the way he naturally plays. Similarly on occasions when in seasons past Hanlon would have brought the ball out of defense, he was punting it forward , again not his natural game. It must be the coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Very true. That midfield might as well be non existent when it comes comes to shielding the defence. Every Hibs fan can see Mallan is not the capable of playing that far back. But there he is week after week.
    Mallan isn't capable of anything, he literally would not have made the bench in our championship team. Liam Craig and Scott Robertson actually much better players never mind Mcginn etc. Slivka was alone in central midfield today and although he wasn't great he was trying and plays with his head up/was finding Hibs players

Quote Originally Posted by SingaporeHibs View Post
    They look beyond their collective sell by date i’m afraid. Whitty was horrific defensively today
    He was totally and utterly abandoned today. A fullback is not to blame for losing 1v1. The defending as a team was shocking

Left by mutual consent!

The whole back line are just Chronic

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    He was totally and utterly abandoned today. A fullback is not to blame for losing 1v1. The defending as a team was shocking
    Which has been glaringly obvious for weeks. Heckingbottom still sticks by the same setup week after week.

Mallan isn't capable of anything, he literally would not have made the bench in our championship team. Liam Craig and Scott Robertson actually much better players never mind Mcginn etc. Slivka was alone in central midfield today and although he wasn't great he was trying and plays with his head up/was finding Hibs players

Its absolutely bizarre when you consider mallan rarely played under him at barnsley

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    You dont half spout some pish. Your hatred for Mallan and the over the top love for Slivka is just plain weird.

What defence ? Don't have one.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Jackson is utterly horrendous, shocking signing. Hanlon is getting slower by the season and see the same for Stevenson and Whittaker. Very very worrying. Only hope we have is Portous

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Agree with your first sentence, but he backs off and backs off then lets the attacker breeze past him with barely a challenge made.

I hope Porto starts from here on in, with the armband. Hate to say it but hanlon isn’t up to scratch anymore.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Which has been glaringly obvious for weeks. Heckingbottom still sticks by the same setup week after week.
    That is what most of us find unforgivable, a blind man can see how poor they are

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Its absolutely bizarre when you consider mallan rarely played under him at barnsley
    Spot on! I'm puzzled by that one too. Signed him for a sizeable fee then hardly played him at Barnsley but plays him at Hibs and in his wrong position. He is much better further forward. Whether a fan of Mallan or not our player of the year is in poor form and I think his confidence has shot.

The space players get between our defence and midfield is insane. It comes from the tactics and formation Heckingbottom is playing. He is truly out of his depth.

He said in his interview about wanting to be a coach originally and not a manager. Recent performances would suggest he isn't particularly good at either.

Defend as a team.

We don’t look fit.

The back 4 defend deep because they are slow.

We have no DM and leave massive gaps all over the pitch - so we waste energy chasing about our awful passes.

Basically the shape is woeful and coaching team clueless.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    Jackson is utterly horrendous, shocking signing. Hanlon is getting slower by the season and see the same for Stevenson and Whittaker. Very very worrying. Only hope we have is Portous
    That's how I see the back four that played today as well unfortunately...….some horrendous examples of poor defending from them today

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    You dont half spout some pish. Your hatred for Mallan and the over the top love for Slivka is just plain weird.
    I don't love or hate either player. I give my thoughts on them both as footballers.

Stop the personal shots please, it's a football forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Agree with your first sentence, but he backs off and backs off then lets the attacker breeze past him with barely a challenge made.
    How would him diving in be better? The guy is our 3rd choice. I don't blame him at all, he shouldn't be playing. If Gray wasn't made of Weetabix it wouldn't be an issue.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDangerous View Post
    I hope Porto starts from here on in, with the armband. Hate to say it but hanlon isn’t up to scratch anymore.
    I wouldn’t ruin his confidence.

Jackson was the best out the back 4 by some distance for me today.

Motherwell moved Seedorf to the left wing to play directly against SW.

The 3rd goal was also due to our midfield no where to be seen and SW having a 1v1.

Both times Jackson also poor and Jackson’s school boy handball basically handed them the 3 points.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    The way he's set us up is an absolute joke. He keeps sticking with the same formation and personnel and expecting different results.

What's the definition of insanity again?

Its really easy to blame defenders when u are conceding goals but i think theres far more to it than that. Yes the defence has been poor , but the problems are all over the park and sitting in the dug out blaming the fans.