hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: 25 Years ago

25 Years ago

Thanks Geebsie for the goal that ended that ****ing horrendous record v them.https://youtu.be/TiRQMR9HYeM

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    is the DVD in the club shop yet

Good to end it at the Gorgie Road end before we were punted up to the Roseburn end soon after.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ValleyHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks Geebsie for the goal that ended that ****ing horrendous record v them.https://youtu.be/TiRQMR9HYeM
    I feel old.

Great day.

Bring back the terrace!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Who is the man with his son on his back? I have often thought of them.

I remember the utter joy when we won that game. I could only find a seat in the Hearts end of the stand and it was not easy, I can tell you!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 8 7 5 View Post
    I feel old.

Great day.

Bring back the terrace!!!
    Don’t know if it’s my memory playing tricks but I seem to think we were on seats on the terrace that day. You wouldn’t know looking at the film. Great memories though. What a day that was.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaporeHibs View Post
    Don’t know if it’s my memory playing tricks but I seem to think we were on seats on the terrace that day. You wouldn’t know looking at the film. Great memories though. What a day that was.
    Aye there was wee yellow seats attached to the terracing.

Left by mutual consent!
    I had been to most if not all of those 22 games. Played them off the park on quite a few occasions. The difference was usually John Robertson. I never gave him much credit at the time because I mostly blamed the likes of Hunter and Mitchel for being weak ass but looking back wee Robbo was a brilliant finisher and had he been at Hearts now I don’t think he’d been there very long.

I was at the game that ended the rot, great at the time but ultimately it’s a major embarrassment to our club.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaporeHibs View Post
    Im almost certain it was terrace. Though I stood half way up the terrace and behind the goal so many times watching the cabbage at tinycastle, I could be mistaken.

Geebsie was a jola driver (dont know if he still is), but I remember being in his cab one time and reminiscing bout it. Geebsie received a nice tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Power View Post
    Good to end it at the Gorgie Road end before we were punted up to the Roseburn end soon after.
    You say that Power but in actual fact the reverse is the case. Traditional away end at Tynie was always Roseburn end when I was a lad backin the 60s/70s (possibly further back than that?). We were then “punted” to the Gorgie Road end for a period before being moved back to Roseburn when the all seater stands behind the goals were introduced.

I’m sure someone will correct if I’ve got that wrong but it’s how I always recall it.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 8 7 5 View Post
    Im almost certain it was terrace. Though I stood half way up the terrace and behind the goal so many times watching the cabbage at tinycastle, I could be mistaken.

Geebsie was a jola driver (dont know if he still is), but I remember being in his cab one time and reminiscing bout it. Geebsie received a nice tip.
    It was seated.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    You say that Power but in actual fact the reverse is the case. Traditional away end at Tynie was always Roseburn end when I was a lad backin the 60s/70s (possibly further back than that?). We were then “punted” to the Gorgie Road end for a period before being moved back to Roseburn when the all seater stands behind the goals were introduced.

I’m sure someone will correct if I’ve got that wrong but it’s how I always recall it.

you're not wrong, at one time we got the small part of that shed thing just before the corner, enjoy...i mean, was shocked at the scuffles that broke out there :)

And people now want the manager sacked after 3 games and 1 loss! Alex Miller would have sent this forum into meltdown if it had been around then.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    It was seated.

Cheers

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    And people now want the manager sacked after 3 games and 1 loss! Alex Miller would have sent this forum into meltdown if it had been around then.
    3 games?

He joined us in February.

It's now 10 league games and 2 wins.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    I had been to most if not all of those 22 games. Played them off the park on quite a few occasions. The difference was usually John Robertson. I never gave him much credit at the time because I mostly blamed the likes of Hunter and Mitchel for being weak ass but looking back wee Robbo was a brilliant finisher and had he been at Hearts now I don’t think he’d been there very long.

I was at the game that ended the rot, great at the time but ultimately it’s a major embarrassment to our club.
    yep. It was out and out relief to get that monkey off our backs but I find it hard to look back with anything other than embarrassment now. 22 games... shameful really.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ValleyHibee View Post
    Was in the old wooden stand for that game, remember it well as had only started watching Hibs a couple of years before that and had already become fed up of jambo’s gloating about their unbeaten run.

You’re definitely correct. Look at the celebrations in the 7-0 game and the Stanton last minute goal. I’m a late 80s, 90s attendee.

Scorcher of a day back in 1994.

I was there in the enclosure along the side of the pitch. Memories of the day include the police and stewards being utter bell-ends to the Hibs fans, trying to force us to sit down on soaking wet seats, and I was feeling dreadful after a big night out the night before! Oh and my mate an brother are 2 of the guys on the pitch at the end!

Coaching Staff
    Remember the day well.
    I was back on holiday and managed to buy tickets for the stand through Dougie Cromb.
    It was my Oz born wife’s first derby and she was stunned by the absolute hatred in the air.
    Geebsie’s goal was the icing on the cake.
    A few years later I was able to thank him in a tangible way, as I was involved in things which led to him joining Canberra Cosmos.
    He enjoyed his time out here, but not as much as I enjoyed that derby victory!

Away end was moved to Gorgie Rd when strict segregation was introduced sometime during their yoyo years. It was a hard shift for the polis when they formed the barrier at the corner of the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    3 games?

He joined us in February.

It's now 10 league games and 2 wins.
    Not sure where you're getting those stats.

Heckys league record is 7 wins, 5 draws and 4 defeats.

Quote Originally Posted by BrebnersBookie View Post

I suspect it is based off of our last ten games.

3 this season, 1 win.
    don't think we won in the last 5 games last season = 8 games 1 win.

Presumably we won 1 of the previous 2.

First Team Breakthrough Fratelli's Avatar
    Bittersweet memories for me of that game and particularly the aftermath.

Me and my mate Rab headed to the Wheatsheaf Inn to celebrate and the place was rocking with jubilant Hibbies.

A few Jambos came in and were looking for bother but they were quickly huckled out but unfortunately we were the first to leave soon after and the inevitable happened and I got a bit of a doing!

I dropped my dark green ‘Barbour’, went back to retrieve it and got another slap for my troubles...serves me right for wearing a Barbour...!

One of the Jambos got lifted so at least he spent the night in the cells so at least some good came of me getting a whack or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    It was seated.

Got a huge lump and bruise on my shin as it battered off the seat during the celebrations. I remember the song Things can only get better being played often on the jukey that night. Strange choice but everyone was loving it.
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 28-08-2019 at 09:31 PM.

I'm sure that was the first game in front of the brand new main bus shelter

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Think medals Mackay was sent off that day so doubly pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrebnersBookie View Post

That's his overall league record. The post you quoted gave our league record in our last 10 league games, which is;

Won - 2
    Drawn - 4
    Lost - 4

We won 5 of our first 6 league matches when Heckingbottom took over but have only won 2 of the subsequent 10 league games.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Think medals Mackay was sent off that day so doubly pleasing.
    He was indeed, for a "tackle" (read "assault") on Mikey O'Neill. Jambo's at the time tried to claim we were lucky that day, forgetting that we hit the woodwork twice too. Evans (I think) hit the post and O'Neill hit a raker from about 30 yards that almost broke the bar.

Blue Blazer for a good few pints beforehand because like a few others, I’d seen most of the 22 previous games and feared the worst again.

Our normal group of 8 or 9 was reduced to just me and another mate going and somehow we ended up in the old main stand.

As we came down the stairs celebrating at FT, Keith came out of a door somewhere on crutches with a huge grin on his face and that was our cue to shout / sing a few Hibby things at him. This attracted a lot of attention from angry Jambos coming out alongside us and they were no’ happy at all.! Made the day even more special haha.