hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Is football your favourite sport?

Might seem a daft question on a football fans forum, but I was interested to see the diversity of opinion about cricket on the Headingley thread (ie some dismissing it as 'p**h' out of hand and other displaying a clear passion for the game.

Personally, having lived and breathed Hibs for much of my youth (arguably to the detriment of more constructive things I could have been doing with my life!), I've definitely become less passionate about football per se as I've got older. Hibs is about more than football so that passion will never die, but the game itself is IMHO often vastly overrated.

Personally, I often find I actually prefer watching sport for sport's sake rather than embracing the more tribal approach that goes with being a football fan.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    To watch yes, but only if it's Hibs, my son's team, Scotland or Werder Bremen and in that order. Without a vested interest I'd probably find football boring.

To play, well let's just say I'm at a golf age.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy watching football but playing golf has always been my participatory sport.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I enjoy lots of different spirits, but football is and always has been my favourite sport. I can’t see that ever changing.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    I said on the "other sports" thread, only if its Hibs or I've had a bet on a particular game. The overpaid cheats in the top leagues have spoilt the game IMO

Watching Hibs, yes. Beyond that probably not nowadays.

Running is now my main participatory sport
    and races and training takes up a huge chunk of my time. I watch a huge range of sports but rarely football. I watched Barcelona v Betis last night and it was the 1st non Hibs game I can remember watching all the way through for a long time.

I've watched more cricket than anything else this summer, perhaps for obvious reasons. On a week to week basis horse racing and boxing are my go to and with the NFL season just around the corner that will take a front seat again soon.

I'd rather watch tennis, darts or snooker than most football matches.

Hibs are one of the most important things in my life so I don't count Hibs games in that but I would rather watch a good tennis match than most English Premiership matches.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not anymore, I prefer the Boxing and Darts.

Left by mutual consent!
    People who run the game would do well to remember that football is an entertainment. Sadly the entertainment is being sucked our the game. Thankfully we still have teams such as Liverpool we can watch and not worry about tactics or any of the other stuff. Attacking football and goals is what it’s about. Sadly I’m losing my passion for the game the older I get.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Yup. By a mile. I like watching and attempting to play tennis and golf. But I love watching football and love playing it even more.

Football and sea fishing for me. If I can't take part then I don't get involved - played and watched football for years so that's fine. Most other sports bore me to tears.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I am not sure that I look on Saturdays at Easter Road as sport. Might be a bit of a cliche but watching Hibs and watching Match of the Day or Super Sunday's are not the same thing.

Used to be but now prefer watching boxing, tennis and snooker these days

I love watching football. Doesnt bother me if its a german 2nd division game, non league english game or a champions league final i just like watching football.

What i will say is that you get lots more dull matches now than we seemed to get about 5 or 6 years ago. Even down to the lower league games in england they try and play boring square possession based football. I just want to see a few games where its blood and thunder, end to end and a genuine football match rather than this robotic chess match like style that seems to have taken over most leagues and teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I enjoy watching football but playing golf has always been my participatory sport.
    Snap
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member
    I can't fathom why anyone would follow any other sport. I've watched a fair few different competitions live over the years and nothing has ever compared to football.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I can't fathom why anyone would follow any other sport. I've watched a fair few different competitions live over the years and nothing has ever compared to football.
    Big difference between watching and playing Sports!
    We should all play sports as often as we can, whatever that may be

I do enjoy watching football but only when its hibs Scotland or spurs I often find myself trying to watch the big games yet being bored half way through. I do enjoy F1 tho only qualifying and race cant be bothered with free practise and the likes

First Team Breakthrough
    Football all day, like and played tennis /squash but wouldn't go out my way to watch (Murray excepted). I love watching hibs, loved watching my laddie playing and would still would watch any games on telly or local park. It's the simplest and most emotional gane,jerseys for goalposts and can be played anywhere. Love it at it simplest. Worried about what money is doing to it.

I enjoy really good quality football. Unfortunately for me Scottish football rarely delivers. It is a poor league and I lost interest years ago. Much as hibs will always be my team, I would much rather watch EPL, Champions league or top European league fixtures.
    Not a popular stance, but as a neutral fan of the game with an interest in tactics, individual craft/skill ect, these games are far more entertaining. Watched Villa v Everton, Liverpool v Arsenal and Fiorentina v Napoli this weekend. All great games. Seeing young Scottish players the likes of Robertson and McGinn develope as players is an absolute joy to watch.

@hibs.net private member
    This summer it's cricket that's become my favourite sport. A large part of that is the attitudes of various teams, especially the Kiwis in the World Cup final.

The amount of cheating in football these days sickens me and stops me enjoying it.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Totally immersed in Hibs, go to most games and love the club and camaraderie that goes with following a team with like minded people, but not as fanatical about the sport as I once was. Would be a lie to say I don’t like football, but I struggle to watch non Hibs games. Don’t mind the odd big occasion or a Hearts game that they are losing for entertainment value, but golf is the sport I play and enjoy watching and reading about.

Not as much into football as I used to be, if it doesn't hibs or Scotland then I'm not really fussed.
    Play golf and love it but even find that boring to watch.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I’m football mad. If I’ve got spare time to spend in front of the box it’s my go to if there’s any on. I enjoy watching other sports though especially tennis, rugby and cricket. I even watch Aussie rules with my Saturday breakfast!

I don’t really watch the athletics anymore. Too many drug cheats. Never really got basketball or baseball either.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Enjoyment of football on TV decreases as the number of games increases.I started to go off it when they brought in an “expert”to natter to the commentators.I usually watch it with the sound at a level to have the crowd noise(it’s easier to do that as you get older and deafer).

I'll watch most sports - done well or with drama and football is the best. I love golf and cricket also. Fond of Boxing also.

I loath F1 - it is not a sport IMHO, nor are snooker (though this needs incredible skills and watching Ronnie O'Sullivan is a joy!) or darts.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I watch hibs and Scottish football. I'll watch Liverpool, Man City or whoever is playing good attacking football down south. It wouldn't be worth my time buying Sky sports.

I've always enjoyed watching tennis (since my Nana was convinced that my cousin looked like Tim Henman - he did not.) , and every so often a boxer comes around who I'll make a point to watch.

I play football a couple of times a week, but not at any level. Enjoy playing badminton too.

Golf and cricket are muted on my twitter feed though!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Big difference between watching and playing Sports!
    We should all play sports as often as we can, whatever that may be
    Absolutely. But when I say I don't follow other sports I mean just that. I have a friend that will watch any sport on TV - darts, snooker, golf etc. You couldn't pay me to watch those. Playing is another thing entirely though.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I love football and will happily watch any level if I’m tempted by the game.

But if it was a desert island-style choice and I could only ever see one sport then it would be cricket by a mile. All formats preferably, but would settle for just Test cricket happily.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I enjoy watching most sports, but football is my clear favourite; always has been.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875