hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With respect, those are religions, not races. Insulting Catholics, or Protestants is sectarian. Insulting the Irish, or the British is racist.
    Race: a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Estupendo View Post
    Race: a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics.
    So Hibs fans, then.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Estupendo View Post
    Interesting, because I would say you can choose your religion, but not your race. You can choose your nationality, but not your birthplace.

At the end of the day, the matter of orange strips is what is important here, and we shouldn't lose sight of that in our keeness to categorise what category of offensive behaviour it falls into.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    I’m sure racism covers religious beliefs and national identity. If it doesn’t it should so my point remains let’s call it ‘racism’ and drop ‘sectarianism’, people might take more notice.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    I’m sure racism covers religious beliefs and national identity. If it doesn’t it should so my point remains let’s call it ‘racism’ and drop ‘sectarianism’, people might take more notice.
    I fear things will only deteriorate in Norniron if half the people there think of themselves as belonging to one race and the other half to a different race.

In other words, what you suggest might have an unintended consequence.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    That's what UEFA did, but as you can see, people get into all sorts of silly discussion when the word racism is brought up. Whatever it is called, the SFA has to acknowledge that a member club is being repeatedly sanctioned by UEFA, or our whole game comes into disrepute.

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    Nipping to the Paki’s is not a racial slur in my view. Paki’s is a shortening of Pakistani, someone who originated from Pakistan. Racism is something much different from just shortening of a name as detailed below.

[COLOR=#878787 !important] racism
    [/COLOR]

• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
    holy ****... Have I woken up in 1970?

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Michael Stewart fast becoming one of my favourite pundits

Everyone connected with The Rangers needs to be sent on a rehabilitation course

Starting to feel that Steven Gerrard is genuinely embarrassed by the behaviour of all of his clubs fans
    Yep, agree with you about Michael Stewart. He calls things as they are and not how he thinks they should be. His analysis during the Hibs game seemed spot on, calling out the decision the play Allan wide right, identifying that St Johnstone would get something back when we were in the lead both times, suggesting that we don't know our best formation.

I didn't listen to the argument with Ferguson and Dodds but it doesn't surprise me one bit. Blinkered, pre-Historic backward thinking idiots who seem to be members of this media clique that the BBC, in their infinite wisdom, employ to appeal in some way to the OF. Bringing out an orange away strip when they had a large contingent of Dutch players and Manager was a very convenient way of tapping into the £Loyal and profiting from their sectarian rivalry that has blighted our game for years. Any suggestion that subsequent issues of orange strips are in someway a nod to the part played by Advocaat, van Bronckhorst, Mols etc to a very successful period in their history is laughable, blatantly untrue and a complete insult to the tax paying public who funded those very same players who Rangers otherwise would not have been able to afford.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Left Peg View Post
    Yep, agree with you about Michael Stewart. He calls things as they are and not how he thinks they should be. His analysis during the Hibs game seemed spot on, calling out the decision the play Allan wide right, identifying that St Johnstone would get something back when we were in the lead both times, suggesting that we don't know our best formation.

I didn't listen to the argument with Ferguson and Dodds but it doesn't surprise me one bit. Blinkered, pre-Historic backward thinking idiots who seem to be members of this media clique that the BBC, in their infinite wisdom, employ to appeal in some way to the OF. Bringing out an orange away strip when they had a large contingent of Dutch players and Manager was a very convenient way of tapping into the £Loyal and profiting from their sectarian rivalry that has blighted our game for years. Any suggestion that subsequent issues of orange strips are in someway a nod to the part played by Advocaat, van Bronckhorst, Mols etc to a very successful period in their history is laughable, blatantly untrue and a complete insult to the tax paying public who funded those very same players who Rangers otherwise would not have been able to afford.
    Too many riding that gravy train.

That's what UEFA did, but as you can see, people get into all sorts of silly discussion when the word racism is brought up. Whatever it is called, the SFA has to acknowledge that a member club is being repeatedly sanctioned by UEFA, or our whole game comes into disrepute.
    Two member clubs surely.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    This thread is mental:

Hummel, being Danish, might not have a problem with protestant bigotry.

Paki isn't racist.

WTF? I thought I'd been re-directed to Follow Follow.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This thread is mental:

Hummel, being Danish, might not have a problem with protestant bigotry.

Paki isn't racist.

WTF? I thought I'd been re-directed to Follow Follow.
    Is the word pole for polish or Scot for Scottish racist these days? No disagreeing with you, just wanna know people's opinions on the matter 😊

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Two member clubs surely.
    Has the other arse cheek been sanctioned too? (Genuine question.)

Has the other arse cheek been sanctioned too? (Genuine question.)
    Frequently.Fined and part of Celtic Park closed.We have also been sanctioned of course.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    I think it is something to do with a sectarian hit on a man in an amusement arcade.
    And yet the sfa played it over the pa system prior to the 2016 final

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    Nipping to the Paki’s is not a racial slur in my view. Paki’s is a shortening of Pakistani, someone who originated from Pakistan. Racism is something much different from just shortening of a name as detailed below.

[COLOR=#878787 !important] racism
    [/COLOR]

• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Wow. Do you really believe that? Most often you'll find the shop is run by someone who was born in Scotland - so is it their brown skin you're really on about? And if you mean ethinic origin then they could be from Bangladesh or India just as easily as Pakistan?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Frequently.Fined and part of Celtic Park closed.We have also been sanctioned of course.
    My big worry with the strict liability (?) thing is that other clubs will get away with nothing.

The big two are forever insisting they aren't the only ones with a problem.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Yes, but the SFA believe the orange strips are a tribute to Van Bronckhurst and company.

My question is though. Is it still ok to play other Roy Orbison songs?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    It’s been debated before about the origins behind it becoming a Rangers supporters staple, but let’s be honest here - it’s not just been plucked from the air because it’s a catchy 60’s pop song.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Yes, but the SFA believe the orange strips are a tribute to Van Bronckhurst and company.

Pretty Woman - no, it objectifies females

I drove all night - no, it supports breaking and entering

Crying - yes, but it reminds them of the 2016 final

The stuff with the Travelling Wilburys is fine though

Hope that helps

Left by mutual consent!

Hope that helps
    Blue Bayou, Blue Angel, there's a pattern emerging here.

Blue Bayou, Blue Angel, there's a pattern emerging here.
    He had a song in Blue Velvet too.

No surprise hear, Billy Dodds& Barry Ferguson ,very limited intellect, especially on the English language .....couple of bigoted huns so I wouldn't expect anything else from this pair fannies 😎

Trying to explain to non Scots about the sectarianism which is still mainstream is utterly embarrassing. The fact we are even having to talk about it obscene far less folk still living it. It's like a country stuck in a time warp but if the bigot bros weren't the two dominant teams they would have be dealt with decades ago. But as has been said so many benefit from this disgusting behaviour that nobody will bite the hands that feed.
    Ashamed to be Scottish when folk outside this country ask about it. Sportsound should be taken off the air in any decent society but for figures like Ferguson and Dodds to talk it was ok in the day and folk are over sensitive beggars belief. Words cant described how much I loath that programme.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 26-08-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Not sure why anyone would be surprised by ferguson, and dodds comments. They are ball deep with the rangers philosophy. No danger would either of them do anything to damage their relationship with rangers or their fans. Too much to lose.
    Naughty choice of guest for the topic by the beeb.
    Imagine if they had admitted to signing NF / BM stuff in the 80s? They wouldn't be in a job, far less being employed by the nation's public service broadcaster. The fact they are able to tell listeners there tales of past "glories" and still be in a job says as much about the BBCs attitude to sectarianism as it does about them.

Hope that helps
    Well from memory there were some questionable role models there...

‘Tweeter and the monkey man were hard up for cash
    They stayed up all night selling cocaine and hash’

Although I’m sure sure we can blame Mr B Dylan for that couplet.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

The branding for TRFC tv is just misinterpreted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    I think at one time, it may well have been. The new generation of BBC pundits clearly hasn't had the memo though, or possibly their is a different memo now. It's important that we focus on the positive inroads that the likes of Stewart are making.

It's refreshing that he can get so close to the real issue, rather than the traditional nonsense about "society", or "minorities." On Saturday, he stopped just short of mentioning the Orange Order and Rangers in the same sentence, and nailed the minority of fans myth, by saying the entire stand at Rugby Park was singing party songs.

"You're focussing on the detail", bleated Dodds. It has been the lack of focus on the detail, that has allowed this nonsense to continue so long.
    What an imbecile. What else are "pundits" employed for if not to concentrate on "detail". ****s like him and Ferguson should not be given air time. There are none so blind as them that can see. Stewart can be objective as he has no history with the bigot brothers ..
    Beebs "jobs for the boys" policy needs stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    It’s been debated before about the origins behind it becoming a Rangers supporters staple, but let’s be honest here - it’s not just been plucked from the air because it’s a catchy 60’s pop song.
    If that was played prior to the cup final(i was unable to attend due to hospitalisation) then it simply confirms the SFA's odious pandering to the masses and marks them as weak and unfit for purpose.

The song was adopted by the UDA as a celebration of the death, in an amusement arcade, of a "mark" who just happened to be , allegedly an IRA sympathiser. The Hun support picked up on the song from their allegiance to all things UDA.

If i and others are aware of this then surely the SFA were also aware. Does nobody in that organisation every query the motives of the Hun or the reasoning behind their actions

Quote Originally Posted by vuefrom1875 View Post
    No surprise hear, Billy Dodds& Barry Ferguson ,very limited intellect, especially on the English language .....couple of bigoted huns so I wouldn't expect anything else from this pair fannies
    ��

Yet the beeb Scotland allow them to air their defence of the set in stone bigotry that putrifies within Ipox with impunity. Richard Gordon is a **** also and a weak one at that.
    Last edited by DMH0762; 26-08-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Imagine if they had admitted to signing NF / BM stuff in the 80s? They wouldn't be in a job, far less being employed by the nation's public service broadcaster. The fact they are able to tell listeners there tales of past "glories" and still be in a job says as much about the BBCs attitude to sectarianism as it does about them.
    It certainly does. It's like an old boys club where they think it's naughty to come out with the crap they do knowing no one is going to pull them up on it. Shameful.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by vuefrom1875 View Post
    No surprise hear, Billy Dodds& Barry Ferguson ,very limited intellect, especially on the English language .....couple of bigoted huns so I wouldn't expect anything else from this pair fannies 😎
    I’m not make a habit of defending Barry Ferguson but it wasn’t him. It was his brother who denied the orange strip was anything other than a tribute to the Dutch players that played for them 15 years ago.

I’m pretty sure Barry’s married to a catholic so maybe he’s not a bigot?