hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Well done UEFA

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As much as we like to stick the boot in to Rangers, it is encouraging to hear Steven Gerard and Dave King speak out and accept that they have a problem that needs to be addressed. They do genuinely appear to be sick of the sectarian element in their support. The problem they face though is not a small one than be extinguished easily - the majority of their fans engage and embrace sectarian culture. Yes, many will embrace this only on match days and can live the rest of the week as respectable citizens, but those 90 minute bigots are as much to blame, and arguably more to blame for this than the smaller number of hardcore bigots who embrace the culture 24/7 who could be easier managed in isolation.
    Do you think the leaders at the club are just big Holland fans, hence the orange strips, or massive Tina Turner fans who just enjoy listening to her singing Simply the Best? No, they play to the masses and will continue to do so whilst there is money to be made.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Most are brought up in Rangers supporting commmunities/families. As they grow up they leave the sectarianism behind but still support Rangers. I have actually found them to be more honest about their team's performances than Celtic fans. The latter always complain of being unlucky or conspired against if things go badly.
    To be fair, Celtic fans paranoia turned out to be well founded after the Jorge Cadette affair and the the awarding of a Euro license in 2011 and the Nimmo Smith report in 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    I'm the same. What kind of values does someone hold to who chooses to support an institution that promotes bigotry and racism from its very core.
    I live a mile from Easter Road.
    There was no real choice on which team to support.
    Most boys love football as a kid and choose a team to support. Non football related stuff plays no part in that choice. Then they are stuck with that team for life come hell or high water.

I hate to break this to you but our own club makes decisions for financial rather than moral reasons. Hence swathes of Rangers and Celtic fans invited to Easter Road every season despite their shenanigans.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 24-08-2019 at 11:31 AM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/forum/1-the-bears-den/

Great insight into the level below Neanderthal
    If this was a site that was anti muslim, or anti black, not sure if i'm allowed to say that these days, it could have been changed i can't keep up?

It would be shut down surely, or those spouting that bile would be found and punished. Why is something so clearly abusive and sectarian allowed to go freely about their business without any fear at all?

I'm the same. What kind of values does someone hold to who chooses to support an institution that promotes bigotry and racism from its very core.
    Do Rangers really still do that though?

From the scenes following the signing of Mo Johnston you now don't bat an eyelid when players of any religion play for Rangers - catholic, muslim or whatever. Regardless what the motivations were (in all likelihood we all know it is to avoid future financial penalties rather than the goodness of the heart) King's messages are spot on and very welcome. We all s******ed a bit when they had their "inclusivity" stuff going on over the summer but deep down, knowing where they've come from it is welcome even if it rings a bit hollow.

The way Rangers whip up their hordes with ill thought out statements in the heat of the moment is not to my liking at all. I couldn't give two hoots what colour their away strip is (but then again, I am in the very loosest sense possible a protestant myself, even if I have no desire to march along roads or object to anyone following whichever faith they like).

I strongly object to the acceptance of sectarian singing in their stadium and what some of our recent managers have been subjected to there.

A lot of the stuff that is said on the likes of Rangers Media and Follow Follow is appalling and tbh I'm grateful I support a club and post on a forum where the moderators don't tolerate aggression of that kind. I've been known to pop on for a look over the years and it's just depressing that there are people like that out there.

I'm more concerned about Hibs' quiet acceptance of it in our home ground and the casual acceptance of unacceptable conduct throughout Scottish society in general. It's the 21st century FFS, why should we really care about other people having a few different lines in their hymns, slightly different thoughts on abortion and divorce etc?

If we genuinely want it to stop, we can stamp it out immediately. Too many people don't.
    Last edited by Smartie; 24-08-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    You have to admire their restraint.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Before the SFA can do that it would have to be allowed as a punishment in the rule book.As the clubs will not agree to that the SFA (who are the clubs)can do nothing.For the umpteenth time it is up to the clubs and they will do nothing.

Which is quite sad, really

I'm torn when it comes to reducing their allocation for ER. I can understand that Hibs need the money but I'd love to be able to give them a really small number of tickets.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Dodds on Sportsound trying to defend the orange strip. Aye, it's a tribute to the Dutch players of the most successful era.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I live a mile from Easter Road.
    There was no real choice on which team to support.
    Most boys love football as a kid and choose a team to support. Non football related stuff plays no part in that choice. Then they are stuck with that team for life come hell or high water.

I hate to break this to you but our own club makes decisions for financial rather than moral reasons. Hence swathes of Rangers and Celtic fans invited to Easter Road every season despite their shenanigans.
    I know loads of people who now support teams different to the ones they supported when they were kids -- some of them once supported Rangers.

As I said elsewhere, life consists of making choices. Whatever way you look at it 'decent' Rangers supporters prop up a club that is institutionally bigoted and racist. They choose to do so. For me, they are indistinguishable from your Orange-Order-marching, King-Billy-tattooed knucklehead getting off the ferry from Larne.

Your second paragraph is immaterial, but thanks for enlightening me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Dodds on Sportsound trying to defend the orange strip. Aye, it's a tribute to the Dutch players of the most successful era.
    Aye, and the strips with the sash over the chest are a tribute to ...🤔

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Derek Ferguson as well, pathetic stuff. I usually like Ferguson but that was embarrassing. Blatantly pretending he felt there was no link between orange kits and sectarianism.

Mikey Stewart absolutely tearing him and Ferguson apart about that. Say what you like about him he's spot on and not afraid to say what the other BBC types are too scared to.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Do Rangers really still do that though?

From the scenes following the signing of Mo Johnston you now don't bat an eyelid when players of any religion play for Rangers - catholic, muslim or whatever. Regardless what the motivations were (in all likelihood we all know it is to avoid future financial penalties rather than the goodness of the heart) King's messages are spot on and very welcome. We all s******ed a bit when they had their "inclusivity" stuff going on over the summer but deep down, knowing where they've come from it is welcome even if it rings a bit hollow.

The way Rangers whip up their hordes with ill thought out statements in the heat of the moment is not to my liking at all. I couldn't give two hoots what colour their away strip is (but then again, I am in the very loosest sense possible a protestant myself, even if I have no desire to march along roads or object to anyone following whichever faith they like).

I strongly object to the acceptance of sectarian singing in their stadium and what some of our recent managers have been subjected to there.

A lot of the stuff that is said on the likes of Rangers Media and Follow Follow is appalling and tbh I'm grateful I support a club and post on a forum where the moderators don't tolerate aggression of that kind. I've been known to pop on for a look over the years and it's just depressing that there are people like that out there.

I'm more concerned about Hibs' quiet acceptance of it in our home ground and the casual acceptance of unacceptable conduct throughout Scottish society in general. It's the 21st century FFS, why should we really care about other people having a few different lines in their hymns, slightly different thoughts on abortion and divorce etc?

If we genuinely want it to stop, we can stamp it out immediately. Too many people don't.
    A lot of good points, especially the last para.

But as long back in time as I can recall Rangers have made official statements condemning sectarianism and promoting inclusion - Willie Waddell was coming out with this sort of cant forty-odd years ago. It was empty rhetoric then. It's empty rhetoric now. Rangers have a brand. And they do nothing to dispel it. It is designed to attract the support of exactly the type of people that you find so depressing.

what did Mikey Stewart say, hopefully will be followed up with others sticking the boot into der hun

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Derek Ferguson as well, pathetic stuff. I usually like Ferguson but that was embarrassing. Blatantly pretending he felt there was no link between orange kits and sectarianism.
    Two ignorant pundits and bigots, should have their contracts ripped up from the bbc.
    Last edited by DarlingtonHibee; 24-08-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I've always contended that there is no such thing as a decent Rangers supporter. Why do these so-called decent supporters follow Rangers? Let's not kid ourselves here. Bigotry, racism and anti-Irish sentiments are ingrained into the club. Every person who supports Rangers knows this. It's in plain site. Moreover, they each have a choice. They can support the club and by doing so continue to prop up an institutionally bigoted and racist organisation or they can go elsewhere and support another team.

In one sense I actually have more time for the bigots who proclaim their bigotry than I have for the 'decent' Rangers supporters who pop up now and then to tell us how disgusted and appalled they are at the behaviour of the 'minority'. They just come across as hypocrites. In truth neither group is doing anything to change matters.
    I know a few Rangers supporters who are good guys, including a Glaswegian (living in Edinburgh) who often goes to ER with Hibs supporting mates if he's at a loose end.

I think he even said do we complain about other teams wearing orange strips!! LMFAO the other teams that wear orage strips have so because that's their team colours you ****ing biggot.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    what did Mikey Stewart say, hopefully will be followed up with others sticking the boot into der hun
    He said how many dutch players are in the current team haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    The Rangers are past masters at the "butter wouldn't melt" response. Crowd of messuns.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Infiltrators at work