hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Went to see Man U v Bury 30 years ago when I was working down there. Hibs were strongly linked to Bury’s centre forward Liam ???? Who played well but the deal never happened. Think we signed Gareth instead. Anyone remember his name?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Phew. It was Liam Robinson. Hate it when I can’t remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went to see Man U v Bury 30 years ago when I was working down there. Hibs were strongly linked to Bury’s centre forward Liam ???? Who played well but the deal never happened. Think we signed Gareth instead. Anyone remember his name?
    Gareth Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Gareth Evans.
    😂 I’d start to worry if I couldn’t remember Gareth’s surname

Feel sorry for their fans but can't help but think of all the lower league English fans who slate Scottish football calling us a "farmers league/pub" etc. No teams in the Scottish leagues unable to fulfill fixtures or having to play the under 18's. Bit Sunday Leagueish i'd say...

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Feel sorry for their fans but can't help but think of all the lower league English fans who slate Scottish football calling us a "farmers league/pub" etc. No teams in the Scottish leagues unable to fulfill fixtures or having to play the under 18's. Bit Sunday Leagueish i'd say...
    That thought always crosses my mind as well. Hearing Bolton fans say it was a step down for Vela when he could play League 1. I find it hard to feel sorry for them when it goes tits up.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Had the Mercer takeover gone ahead, Hibs would have been in that position. You can be sure that the replacement club would not have been fast tracked into the SFL in the way that Sevco were. I suspect that Edinburgh Hibernian, or whatever would have been back in the Premier Division within five years.
    That always bugged me as I would certainly have gone to see Edinburgh Hibernian playing at (probably) Meadowbank had the takeover gone ahead. Like many Hibs fans I would also have wished any club playing Mercer's mob well, even the InFirm.

Meanwhile Mercer's ego trip would have resulted after a year in the Hearts name disappearing and the Frankenstein club playing at Straiton after Easter Road and Tynecastle were sold for housing, in black and white strips and calling themselves Edinburgh United. I would suggest they would be deeply unpopular in Scottish football.

No doubt as Edinburgh Hibernian moved into and up the leagues fuelled on by goodwill and people putting money behind them, Frankenstein FC would have started to struggle as the FTB finally realised that the support bases of the two clubs could not be combined whilst his ego trip team played before diminishing, paltry crowds before eventual relegation and tumbling down and probably out of the league structures before being quietly wound up.

Football is about community and tradition, It's not a franchise. Mercer never understood that.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    I agree with most of what you say, the only bit I would dispute is that they would never have changed colours or name they would always have been heart of Midlothian, playing in maroon and white at tynecastle. This was never a merger it was solely about putting Hibernian FC out of business. Selling our assets and using them to improve them. It would then leave them free to dominate the football market in Edinburgh and the lothians. I will never forgive that club and will hate them until I draw my last breath

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Exactly how I feel. I’m sure there’s some decent fans down there who would acknowledge our league isn’t as bad as is made out. I don’t feel a single bit sympathy for the fans of teams like these however that think they’re a bigger club than Hibs or that players shouldn’t be coming up here or that players from up here aren’t good enough to go down there etc. Bellends with ideas well above their station and as you say, they’ve made their league look like a bigger joke than Scottish football ever has.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    They need.....money for nothing.
    Bebopalula, baby what I say....
    Here come Johnny singing I gotta woman
    Yeah the boy can play

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    I agree with most of what you say, the only bit I would dispute is that they would never have changed colours or name they would always have been heart of Midlothian, playing in maroon and white at tynecastle. This was never a merger it was solely about putting Hibernian FC out of business. Selling our assets and using them to improve them. It would then leave them free to dominate the football market in Edinburgh and the lothians. I will never forgive that club and will hate them until I draw my last breath
    You may well be right but respectfully we'll agree to disagree on one point.
    Tynecastle was always to be dumped under his plans. New stadium would have been at Millerhill or Straiton.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    You may well be right but respectfully we'll agree to disagree on one point.
    Tynecastle was always to be dumped under his plans. New stadium would have been at Millerhill or Straiton.
    Also the ‘combined’ club would have been called Heart of Midlothian and not Edinburgh United.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    You are entirely correct, but remember that plenty of Jambos also opposed the 'merger' and thought Mercer's actions immoral. I blame him, not Hearts as a club. He will never be forgiven.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    You are entirely correct, but remember that plenty of Jambos also opposed the 'merger' and thought Mercer's actions immoral. I blame him, not Hearts as a club. He will never be forgiven.
    My memory at the time is loads of Jambos lapping it up and extracting the urine. The number of them that opposed it seems to have grown as time has went by.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    My memory at the time is loads of Jambos lapping it up and extracting the urine. The number of them that opposed it seems to have grown as time has went by.
    That's probably true, but others would have taken the pish whilst not actually wanting the rivalry to disappear. The Hearts fans had no say in the situation; it was that James Hunt.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I remember the EEN running a quote from the twat that worked in the sports kit shop across the road from Tynie at the time. It went along the lines of being alright with a merger as long as the team played in Maroon, at Tynie and was called Hearts.
    He underestimated the severe threat to person and property that his photo and posturing caused and quickly persuaded the EEN into a retraction. The prick.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    Bebopalula, baby what I say....
    Here come Johnny singing I gotta woman
    Yeah the boy can play
    **** that was horrible. Stop it.

That's probably true, but others would have taken the pish whilst not actually wanting the rivalry to disappear. The Hearts fans had no say in the situation; it was that James Hunt.
    Oh of course, it was all down to the Mercenary. But I do think plenty Jambos liked the idea of being the only show in town and potentially challenging the Old Firm.

Of course they now love to peddle the fairy tale that Mercer actually saved Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough
    Signed and shared. Mayfield

First Team Breakthrough HTD1875's Avatar
    Absolutely shocking, make this post public so we can share hunnie xoxox

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    The SKY T.V. money has, without doubt, been a massive boost for a lot of clubs in engerlund. More appropriately though, it has been a massive pay day for players and their agents, who have demanded, and got, incredible amounts of cash from clubs. Whilst the top clubs have hardly batted an eyelid at paying the money demanded, probably even encouraged it, as you drop down the divisions, the extension to this is, players who are no more than marginally above ordinary are also demanded a lot more than they should ever be worth. Clubs either pay the asking price, and risk going in to admin or worse, or don't pay and end up relegated and pay the price that way.
    I think Bury will be just the tip of the iceberg and when one goes, there may just be a domino effect with others following suit.
    It may well be just what is needed for football to get back to a sensible financial level.
    Bury will come back as Bury athletic or whatever, and clubs will move up accordingly from lower divisions, hopefully paying players a more sensible salary that the working and middle classes can afford to watch.

Scotland, outside the bigot brothers and to a lesser extent a couple of others, have by and large resisted the demands from players for huge deals, hence we are seeing a load of journeyman football players plying their trade up here.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HTD1875 View Post
    Absolutely shocking, make this post public so we can share hunnie xoxox

Pm’d you hun.

My memory is of the hertz fans being very quiet about the whole thing. My experience is that there was no evidence to suggest a lot of them were against the FTB:’s plans.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    My memory is of the hertz fans being very quiet about the whole thing. My experience is that there was no evidence to suggest a lot of them were against the FTB:’s plans.
    That's my recollection too, it's how it was.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

John Hunter, chairman of the Hearts Supporters Association was on the platform at Easter Road at the rally, along with Joe Baker and the other Hibs greats.

Let’s not rewrite history.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    John Hunter, chairman of the Hearts Supporters Association was on the platform at Easter Road at the rally, along with Joe Baker and the other Hibs greats.

Was there as well. There was a very small show of support from them generally about the city, unfortunately I shared an office with three who couldn't wait to see us go down the plug hole. Classic bigteamers.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post

So one guy was on a platform? I remember another hertz fans reps at the time - it may have been one of the Beiths - and his words on being interviewed on Radio Forth at the time were along the lines of “I will back whatever's in the best interests of hertz”. You could hear the gloating in his obnoxious voice. So who’s rewriting history now?

I still remember the Hertz fans in the office with their fake anger stating how they would miss the derby, especially as they were so dominant in it. They loved everything that was happening to Hibs.

Exactly, any I knew were quite happy to see us go under. There was only a handful at the rally at Easter Road. Another figure that seems to grow with time
    Last edited by One Day; 22-08-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    Exactly, any I knew were quite happy to see us go under. There was only a handful at the rally at Easter Road. Another figure that seems to grow with time
    Lucky if there was more than 20 hearts fans there. Saw loads of other fans strips such as airdrie, thistle etc. Make no mistake the vast majority were loving it.