hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

Personal no deal Brexit preparation.

Been reading a bits and pieces about the leaked yellow'something report over the last couple of days. Today at work I got a look at my employer's (a local authority) no deal Brexit risk analysis.

They're expecting to run out of fresh supplied food in a matter of days. With that in mind they're currently stockpiling a huge amount of long life food alternatives.

Is anyone on here considering drastically preparing by buying lots of extra food to store/freeze etc at home?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I have to take several meds, I have various ailments and have been doubling up on my prescriptions for 3 months now and have quite a stock. I have often had to wait before so am not at all confident after October things will be at all better, just worse. Will also fill the freezer and use local markets for produce

I’m a type 1 diabetic so I’m ****ed. We don’t make a drop of insulin in this country. Think we last around 48-72 hours without it if we don’t eat anything.

I really don’t see the need for Brexit in the first place. Yes - I’m a Remainer.

All the promises of ‘sunny uplands’ and having ‘cake and eating it’ are absolute b0ll0cks and everyone now knows this. Sadly some are just too intransigent to accept it.

Personally, I’ll be making sure my unicorns are safe, well, and tied up in case of intruders looking to steal them for themselves.

I’ll also be nipping down to the offy to stock up on 1 litre bottles of ‘bulldog spirit’ to see me through.

Oh yeah - and I’ll be having the tyres and suspension checked on the car to make damn sure I’m not inconvenienced by those “bumps in the road” that BJ says will be inevitable.

Then I’ll settle down in my comfy armchair and read again my new bestest, most favourite fairy tale book - “The Emperors New Clothes” by Hans Christian Andersen.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m a type 1 diabetic so I’m ****ed. We don’t make a drop of insulin in this country. Think we last around 48-72 hours without it if we don’t eat anything.
    Scary as **** mate. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the scare stories are just that and that the UK get their act together and folks like you continue to get the life saving medicine you need. My boy is type 1 and I'd be ****ting myself if living in the UK.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    I’m going to show my massive levels of ignorance when it comes to diabetes as I know nothing about it.. but why are you not going to eat anything on top of not having your insulin? How long would you “last” if you did eat? Not that it makes it any better a situation of course.. I’m just intrigued as to why you’re basing your situation on a set of circumstances where you also won’t eat?

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’m going to show my massive levels of ignorance when it comes to diabetes as I know nothing about it.. but why are you not going to eat anything on top of not having your insulin? How long would you “last” if you did eat? Not that it makes it any better a situation of course.. I’m just intrigued as to why you’re basing your situation on a set of circumstances where you also won’t eat?
    Diabetics don't produce insulin or enough insulin which breaks down the carbohydrates that allows the body to supply the necessary nutrients to the muscles and vital organs. Without insulin the blood sugar levels of diabetics would rise with each intake of food and eventually reach levels that would cause the diabetic to fall into a coma and eventually die. On the other side of the spectrum, if too much insulin is administered, the blood sugar levels would be depleted to such a level that the vital organs, especially the brain would rapidly (within minutes or hours) cease to function causing death.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I have just made a huge pot of ragu. Does that count?

We have 2 freezers, 1 has uncooked ingredients the other is cooked meals, currently containing 50 meals for 2, not including the 4 to 6 batches of ragu.

You might wonder why, well the road has been known to get blocked by snow in winter and better to be prepared.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

I brought this subject up with the Mrs last night and she laughed at me.

In fairness, this isn't her only ammunition but she thinks I'm cracking up.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Lots of dried foods stored, also bought lots of bread flour and dried yeast. Just need water to make it.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I've not really done anything yet. I batch cook a lot of food and freeze it anyway so there is probably close to a month's worth of food in my freezer.

Blue milk is a bit of an essential for me for the bairn but I'm not sure if there is a likelihood of a shortage of that given most of the supermarket stuff is Scottish anyway. I suppose a few cartons of the long life stuff won't go amiss. Beyond that I'll probably fire a few tins in the cupboard and freeze some bread etc 'just in case'.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Diabetics don't produce insulin or enough insulin which breaks down the carbohydrates that allows the body to supply the necessary nutrients to the muscles and vital organs. Without insulin the blood sugar levels of diabetics would rise with each intake of food and eventually reach levels that would cause the diabetic to fall into a coma and eventually die. On the other side of the spectrum, if too much insulin is administered, the blood sugar levels would be depleted to such a level that the vital organs, especially the brain would rapidly (within minutes or hours) cease to function causing death.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've not really done anything yet. I batch cook a lot of food and freeze it anyway so there is probably close to a month's worth of food in my freezer.

Blue milk is a bit of an essential for me for the bairn but I'm not sure if there is a likelihood of a shortage of that given most of the supermarket stuff is Scottish anyway. I suppose a few cartons of the long life stuff won't go amiss. Beyond that I'll probably fire a few tins in the cupboard and freeze some bread etc 'just in case'.
    Milk was on the list because the cartons are imported from the EU. Obviously we produce plenty milk but the worry was getting it in a carton.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I’ll just carry on as normal, likely the only real problems will be caused by the idiots panic buying and clearing supermarket shelves of items they don’t really need.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I’ll just carry on as normal, likely the only real problems will be caused by the idiots panic buying and clearing supermarket shelves of items they don’t really need.
    My take on it as well

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just switched my 🇬🇧 drivers license to an irish one.

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    Pretty much how I see it!

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Green milk surely

Some prescription medicines might run short where there's only a limited amount of hoarding people can do.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Green milk surely
    My milk is still white, Brexit hasn't got that bad yet.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Indeed the only supply issues will be caused by people being ridiculous.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Indeed the only supply issues will be caused by people being ridiculous.
    That may be true, but then we know that people WILL be ridiculous, so perhaps it's prudent to stock up?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    That may be true, but then we know that people WILL be ridiculous, so perhaps it's prudent to stock up?
    "Being ridiculous now eliminates the fear of being ridiculous later." - Terry Butcher's guide to Brexit, paragraph 1.
    Mon the Hibs.

Who's transferring stocks and shares isas to cash ones? And who's sticking?

My British passport runs out Sept 2020, rather than replace it I'm going to apply for a Irish passport instead

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Who's transferring stocks and shares isas to cash ones? And who's sticking?
    Why on earth would you transfer unless you solely invest in UK stocks??
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Why on earth would you transfer unless you solely invest in UK stocks??
    Indeed.