hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup. If you work on the basis that away to the OF is pretty much a free hit, which imo it is then we’ve had a great start results wise.
    Definitely. I'm not saying Hearts are the barometer but getting a gap on them early is good. They did it to us last season which was frustrating and left us playing catch up until late on. 5 points ahead after 3 games would be a great start and gets us a bit of momentum. If we beat St Johnstone I'll be quite optimistic going forward.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    We aren’t defending as a team as tight as we have done in the past. Wide players have to provide more support to the FB and at least one of CMs should be working back to support the CBs. It’s basic stuff but it’s not quite working right now.
    Yup - watched City v Spuds and Poch hooked Harry Winks for not tracking v City. It is the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I cant help but think we're going to have a good season. Like the poster above says we are decent going forward. Defence will sort itself out once Gray and Louis are up to speed and everyone has settled in. We played some really good stuff on Saturday which seems to have beem overlooked with the defensive mistakes.
    Going forward definitely shouldn’t be an issue. You could argue that the forward players already have some decent numbers against their names in terms of goals and assists (Kamberi, Allan and Horgan whilst Doidge has actually made a couple of important contributions).

Concern defensively is that we will be saying the same things in a few months time. Stevenson will be fine as he’s rarely injured but Gray getting fit and staying fit is a concern. And if we don’t sign anybody else in midfield, the defence will continue to be exposed.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Going forward definitely shouldn’t be an issue. You could argue that the forward players already have some decent numbers against their names in terms of goals and assists (Kamberi, Allan and Horgan whilst Doidge has actually made a couple of important contributions).

Concern defensively is that we will be saying the same things in a few months time. Stevenson will be fine as he’s rarely injured but Gray getting fit and staying fit is a concern. And if we don’t sign anybody else in midfield, the defence will continue to be exposed.
    Another deeper midfielder is an absolute necessity, it’s as simple as that. If the budget is gone then it needs to be increased to allow one more.

Another striker and/or winger would be lovely aswell but we can get by without them imo.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Hard to disagree with that. We'd definitely benefit from another DM coming in unless we try Jackson in there. Might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I cant help but think we're going to have a good season. Like the poster above says we are decent going forward. Defence will sort itself out once Gray and Louis are up to speed and everyone has settled in. We played some really good stuff on Saturday which seems to have beem overlooked with the defensive mistakes.
    I have absolutely no idea what sort of season we're going to have, as it looks to me like it might go any one of a few ways.

We have already played some great stuff at times, and we've managed to dig deep to get good results at others.

Some of the defending was dreadful at the weekend and at Ibrox but that is reasonably out of character. I like all of our defenders and both the goalkeepers.

The window being open is a double edged sword. If we were to add another attacking option and a bit of nastiness to the midfield then I'd have to say that I'd be very happy with our strongest team. We're very vulnerable to the injury of key players right now though (Allan, Vela, Flo) and the lack of squad depth is very concerning although I am normally in favour of young players getting an opportunity where possible.

The other thing about the transfer window is that we are a cheeky bid for Marciano or Flo away from being in deep trouble.

I wouldn't say I'm confident as there is so much that could so easily derail us but there are definitely reasons to be optimistic. There are also areas of concern though so we'll need to wait and see.

This season is a tough one to call, especially as all of the other teams are so hard to read at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what sort of season we're going to have, as it looks to me like it might go any one of a few ways.

We have already played some great stuff at times, and we've managed to dig deep to get good results at others.

Some of the defending was dreadful at the weekend and at Ibrox but that is reasonably out of character. I like all of our defenders and both the goalkeepers.

The window being open is a double edged sword. If we were to add another attacking option and a bit of nastiness to the midfield then I'd have to say that I'd be very happy with our strongest team. We're very vulnerable to the injury of key players right now though (Allan, Vela, Flo) and the lack of squad depth is very concerning although I am normally in favour of young players getting an opportunity where possible.

The other thing about the transfer window is that we are a cheeky bid for Marciano or Flo away from being in deep trouble.

I wouldn't say I'm confident as there is so much that could so easily derail us but there are definitely reasons to be optimistic. There are also areas of concern though so we'll need to wait and see.

This season is a tough one to call, especially as all of the other teams are so hard to read at this point.
    Yeah an injury to Scotty or Flo would be a bit of a disaster. They're our two stand out players. Crucial they stay fit and avaliable.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Having calmed down from the weekend I agree.

We’ve got 5 winnable games ahead of us as well as the transfer window being open until the end of the month. Right now I’ve got alarm bells ringing but it won’t be full on panic mode until we see how we do over the next few games.

Big month ahead for Heckers and I do think we’ll struggle in the bigger games if we don’t sort out that midfield and add some steel to it.
    This is where I am as well.

Gun to my head I'm not sure he'll be here in 12 months but I think our start has been OK but we've displayed some alarming weaknesses that won't just magically fix themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Having calmed down from the weekend I agree.

We’ve got 5 winnable games ahead of us as well as the transfer window being open until the end of the month. Right now I’ve got alarm bells ringing but it won’t be full on panic mode until we see how we do over the next few games.

Big month ahead for Heckers and I do think we’ll struggle in the bigger games if we don’t sort out that midfield and add some steel to it.
    Yes, totally agree with you, every word, but remember, if there's even the slightest hint of criticism you'll get shot down by the happy clappers.