hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron Gordon as has been said by others, has asked various leaders at the club for there goals and plans for the year ahead.
    They say the shelf life of a business leader is about 5 years then things get stale or start to repeat themselves.
    American businesses quite often work on what they call a five year strap a plan for that very reason people get stale.
    Watching in on what's happening at Hibs just now could be said is an indication of just that.
    We have turnstile entry problems
    We have hot food problems
    We have player recruitment problems
    We have a disgruntled fan Base
    We have money being diverted to infrastructure after being told we did not need to
    A new manager that might be a bad appointment just like well around 5 years ago.

We seem to as a club turned full circle almost but not quite back to the butcher days when LD entered the club and with her magic wand started to change things and fans were given hope again but probably more important we were great to watch.
    Alan Stubbs and his assistants put together a great team yes I know we did not get out the championship with him but circumstance was against him, and all I can remember was wanting to go to every game to be entertained and watch a style of football that was excellent.
    Here we are today, now quite rightly LD has had a lot of praise for being more open and especially on communication with the fans and getting that hoodoo of the Scottish cup of our backs.
    Alan Stubbs and his team in my mind were every bit just as important to Hibs as LD was yes she made the appointment and huge credit to her but the team management brought in some wonderful players and blended them into a proper team.
    I'm starting to think that perhaps it's time for a change at the top that a lot of the issues we are facing should not be there after her 5 years in charge and I wonder if Ron Gordon with his fresh eyes might just be thinking the same .
    Hopefully Ron will come out of hiding soon and give us some fresh hope that we will be entering a new 5 year cycle with hope and optimism that AS and LD gave us back then.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    I am hoping that LD will stay on. There's been a lot of instability at the club with the Lennon affair, player turnover at the end of last season and now a new owner. Interesting post but I think there will little activity behind the scenes for a while until RG decides what, if anything needs changing. And by that I mean if he believes the people we have in place can take us to the next level.

I'm sure there will be changes but maybe not as drastic as the points above point towards. Is it not just a case of peoples eyes being taken off the ball due to the change of ownership? it shouldn't but I've worked for firms who've been taken over and it does happen until things become clearer.

RG asking for the peoples plans is the first step. Doesn't help or reassure us all as fans given the perceptions of the team & management's quality, but I understand this approach.
    Last edited by Wakeyhibee; 18-08-2019 at 01:54 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    I hope Leanne is here for years. No pressure from me, or any of my Hibby friends.
    GG

When businesses change hands there will be a new fresh pressure put on all members of the board and management teams throughout the business. All pretty normal stuff. In this case Ron is the new owner and is spending some amount of time getting in about the weeds first hand while Archie Paton joined the board as a non-exec who I have no doubt will be Rons eyes and ears when he isn’t physically there. Everyone will feel renewed energy (I would hope) and that slight feeling of nerves about future unknown plans and their own roles in making those successful. The pressure will be there and it’s no bad thing.
    Football is a funny business, basically not for profit organisations where everything we make gets ploughed back into future growth and hopefully success.
    After that, we have this funny situation where we as fans see success through the actual Football quality and results. We also like good service, good match day experience and we might want to know how what’s being spent on East mains for example is helping develop future success for the Football side of the business.
    LD has done a lot of good things but in my opinion the good will she has from the majority of fans is only there because of the relative success on the park over the last few years. Imagine the first 2 managers appointed hadn’t achieved what they did (i’m not opening a debate on the qualities of Stubbs and Lennon) and god forbid we were still trying to fight our way out the Championship or we had made it out but had spent 2 Seasons fighting for survival. I doubt the good will would be there. That wouldn’t mean the rest of the stuff done at the club was any less worthy of praise. It doesn’t mean LD wouldn’t have allocated every penny we could to try and achieve, it just means the Football manager hadn’t spent that money on the right players or coached them properly. It’s a fickle business Football and the one task LD and board needs to get right is appointing the right person to manage the team. Get that wrong and it really wouldn’t matter to 20k fans if we have the best training ground, best pies etc etc.
    We also know there are so many variables for a manager to get it right. Luck plays a big part as well. Better to be lucky than good sometimes, while LD has made some great decisions in appointing managers she too has had a bit of luck with it. If PH doesn’t work out LD will find herself in the firing line. I don’t agree she should be but she will be and only for the one decision of hiring him. The headline that we have no more money to be spent on players shows us that. Does anyone believe the board aren’t spending everything they can to try and make us a success? LD isn’t picking players to buy. She isn’t picking the formation or suggesting the high press. It won’t stop people having a go LD and the board because it’s not working out. It’s truly ludicrous but a fact of Football.

Every CEO is under pressure 24hrs a day 7 days a week thats why they get paid the big bucks, stupid thread title.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    They’re that bad that you worked for 3 of them??

I know a couple of lads that have worked for Amazon in Dunfermline for years. They think it’s sound.
    I suppose it depends where you are in the organisation.

I’ve heard of one former employee describe the approach within IT/development.
    Not the forum to go into details but if true I’d fear if this is being held up as the model for future work (which if you look at the business and customer outcomes it’s difficult to argue against) at what cost the workers?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

LD seems the person who thrives on a challenge - and what a challenge she took on - but even being given the option once we were relegated she accepted. She’s no stranger to Uncertainty.

It’s quite easy to forget she’s continuing to cut a pathway for women in Scottish football and a successful one at that. She’s looking forward to this next exciting period and the potential it brings.

Long may she continue. She doesn’t seem likely to be rattled by comments on a message board or in the press but will stand her ground and stand up for the club.

Are folks forgetting her stance with Rangers over the Allan affair, the press/Tom English over recent (individuals) misbehaviour and of course the SC exuberance.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Worked for a very large American businesses for many years so I am passing on what I and every employee had to do. It gives traceability to your claims you might talk a good game but can you or did you deliver , the goals you set out each year in your Aim to reach that 5 year plan .
    American companies are brutal in moving people on if you are not doing what you said you would without good reason .

Is our football club an American company?

does it operate under American employment law?

Do we know if RG operates in the manner you’ve described?

have you worked for RG directly?

Unless any of those is a ‘yes’, then you’re speculating.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

Pure speculation, bordering on attention seeking.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

I think he’s been clear since his first post he’s speculating based on the American companies he’s worked for?

Seems a massive generalisation to me but I don’t know, there must be hundreds of thousands of companies in America that don’t treat their staff like that.

That doesn’t mean he’s wrong though, I think he’s just raising the possibility that LD could be under more pressure than some of us may realise.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think he’s been clear since his first post he’s speculating based on the American companies he’s worked for?

Seems a massive generalisation to me but I don’t know, there must be hundreds of thousands of companies in America that don’t treat their staff like that.

That doesn’t mean he’s wrong though, I think he’s just raising the possibility that LD could be under more pressure than some of us may realise.

possibly just how I’m reading into his posts, i felt it comes across as a bit more than speculation and more of a ‘this is what’s coming’ kind of thing. That is only my opinion though, could easily be wrong 😊

you're right though, he may not be wrong at all. There’s been a few American owners of football clubs in the uk over the last 15 years or so, with mixed results. Hopefully we’re looking back in a few years as one of the successful examples.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    The infrastructure thing is annoying. How much better than other teams does it need to be?

Surely focusing on the playing team is far more important. Sick of hearing about infrastructure to be honest.
    Without the infrastructure upgrade we lise our elite academy status under Project Brave. It may not be a prolific oroductiin line at the moment but without it we will begin to look like a Falkirk after they lost out.

possibly just how I’m reading into his posts, i felt it comes across as a bit more than speculation and more of a ‘this is what’s coming’ kind of thing. That is only my opinion though, could easily be wrong 😊

you're right though, he may not be wrong at all. There’s been a few American owners of football clubs in the uk over the last 15 years or so, with mixed results. Hopefully we’re looking back in a few years as one of the successful examples.
    Ron isn't an American though?!?

@hibs.net private member
    Leeann Dempster stays in my book. Has done a fantastic job turning our club around from a very deep depression.

What would a 5 year football plan look like ?

Take for example when LD came in - the blue print was there she just executed right?

(Events mean) Assess management team
    (Events mean) put in place right team for promotion
    Recruit/develop/enhance recruitment dept
    Enhance sports science dept
    Enhance analytic capability
    Get club promoted
    Build STs
    Increase merchandise sales
    Increase Sell on fees
    Relaunch Hibernian Community links

But replanning required :

Bolster squad for promotion
    - handle losses
    Then - maximise benefits of cup win

Planning is the key - plans are relatively meaningless and don’t survive first contact with the enemy :)

A Bit Realism

Under Stubbs who I liked we had many poor games with no plan B. Also seem to recall being stuffed by Morton 3-0 at home? one Tues night. Under Lennon we were rubbish from Nov (apart from good Celtic result in Dec) until Heck took over. We have only lost one game all season. The team just need to gel. Kamberi back on form, Middleton looking good, Scott Allan brilliant creative player, Marciano top form, Jackson looks good and can pass, Porteous on the way back, Murray deserves a run....
    Last edited by Still Smiling; 18-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post

Take for example when LD came in - the blue print was there she just executed right?

Get club promoted
    Build STs
    Increase Sell on fees

- handle losses

Planning is the key - plans are relatively meaningless and don’t survive first contact with the enemy :)
    I hope any 5 year plan is better than Petrie’s 5 year plan that culminated in us getting relegated and a support as disengaged from the club as it had ever been.

Dempster was a breath of fresh air and revitalised the club, but time for her to get her mojo back and get the bond between fans and club back to how strong it was a season or two ago.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Ron isn't an American though?!?
    Makes no odds, there's a bloke on here worked for an American company, and he knows how top businessmen operate. Philidelphia lawyers ken whit's gaun oan.
    Last edited by Cataplana; 18-08-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Testimonial Due

As I pointed out an Amerucan company operating in the UK and Scotland was able to get their way round UK employment law and employ the same techniques as used in the US with some subtle nuances. Ron has bought a football club which is run as a business and I sure he will want results on and off the the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Makes no odds, there's a bloke on here worked for an American company, and he knows how top businessmen operate. Philidelphia lawyers ken whit's gaun oan.
    Hmmm, Philly can feel silly. not convinced that all our recent problems ( are we in crisis?) are coming from a 5 year shelf life with LD. I am not convinced that our current coaching staff are quite what is required for a club like ours, but I am equally not sure if Leanne Dempster is the problem. Maybe Heckingbottom came across as the right man, during the interview process and sounded like something special. he did have a decent track record after all with some good experience. Never my choice, as I do know one of the men that was in the frame and his heart was really in it. I was gutted he did not get the job but heyho. maybe next time

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    As I pointed out an Amerucan company operating in the UK and Scotland was able to get their way round UK employment law and employ the same techniques as used in the US with some subtle nuances. Ron has bought a football club which is run as a business and I sure he will want results on and off the the pitch.
    This implies that every “American” company has the same values, ethics and leadership style...a ridiculous notion ....

I don't think shes under pressure. Apart from being horsed with 10 men by Rangers we've won almost every time we've stepped on the park. I think we'll win on Saturday too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I hope any 5 year plan is better than Petrie’s 5 year plan that culminated in us getting relegated and a support as disengaged from the club as it had ever been.

Dempster was a breath of fresh air and revitalised the club, but time for her to get her mojo back and get the bond between fans and club back to how strong it was a season or two ago.
    What plan could have taken into account the dramatic fall from grace that was TB - that’s where traditional plans fall down. Priorities then thrown into disarray.

That 5 year plan laid the ground work for hiring and devloping the blue print for LD to execute no? Her recruitment was secured before relegation.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This implies that every “American” company has the same values, ethics and leadership style...a ridiculous notion ....
    Just the larger ones

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Well that about the only statement you've made that's right ...how's your club doing ? Not seen you down gorgie for a while

There´s some amount of fish being spouted on here recently.
    Loads of folk with low post counts coming on and goading others and name calling, to mention a couple. I´m getting blisters from hitting the ignore button so often, then again, there´s probably nobody seeing this post

Get club promoted
    Build STs
    Increase Sell on fees

- handle losses

Everyone will be doing a plan now

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    There´s some amount of fish being spouted on here recently.
    Loads of folk with low post counts coming on and goading others and name calling, to mention a couple. I´m getting blisters from hitting the ignore button so often, then again, there´s probably nobody seeing this post
    No your in full view I need your plan by the end of the week

What plan could have taken into account the dramatic fall from grace that was TB - that’s where traditional plans fall down. Priorities then thrown into disarray.

That 5 year plan laid the ground work for hiring and devloping the blue print for LD to execute no? Her recruitment was secured before relegation.
    Relegation under Butcher didn’t come out of the blue it had been coming for years. By groundwork do you mean Petrie being so utterly out of his depth at running a football club that he had to bring in someone to undo the damage he had caused?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Relegation under Butcher didn’t come out of the blue it had been coming for years. By groundwork do you mean Petrie being so utterly out of his depth at running a football club that he had to bring in someone to undo the damage he had caused?
    Not sure that is a fair balanced assessment ..after a number of years from 2004 to 2010 we had at best been 3rd but the rest had been between 4th and 6th...it is true we had then been 10th and 11th, but the season before then we finished 7th...we were looking Much more like a 7th position team than a relegation side when Butcher took over

Sort of challenges your Petrie out of depth point too ....he has already decided to change the football strategy and organisation before Butcher got us in to relegation trouble ..

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Not sure that is a fair balanced assessment ..after a number of years from 2004 to 2010 we had at best been 3rd but the rest had been between 4th and 6th...it is true we had then been 10th and 11th, but the season before then we finished 7th...we were looking Much more like a 7th position team than a relegation side when Butcher took over

Sort of challenges your Petrie out of depth point too ....he has already decided to change the football strategy and organisation before Butcher got us in to relegation trouble ..
    Conscious not to drag the thread too far off course. However, Petrie of course has lots in the credit column too, infrastructure, fees we got for the golden generation (although Collins was also instrumental), CIS win etc.

In the period around the 5 year plan we were on an ever increasing downward curve. The circumstances of relegation were a surprise given the spectacular free fall, but the fact we got relegated in that period had an air of inevitability IMO. Post the Hearts final, Petrie had to come out and admit there was a toxic culture at the club that needed to change. Do you not remember how disengaged we as a support were from the club during those years? I also remember reading Marsella referencing the fact we used Wikipedia as part of our recruitment “strategy”.

Credit for, belatedly, holding his hands up and admitting he needed someone else to sort his mess. I struggle to see how he wasn’t out of his depth given what Dempster inherited.