hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Never had a problem with Arnold Clark at Seafield and done plenty of business with them. Have also hired cars from Arnold Clark for over 20 years, superb service with many brand new couple of miles on the clock cars from them.
    Free upgrades, choices of cars on arrival to hire and never pay a deposit, can’t fault them. Most of my hires have been from Gorgie Road then Sighthill when Gorgie road closed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have bought my last 2 cars from arnold Clark and never had an issue. The wife bought her car from the Audi garage in stirling and had loads of hassles with them so I suppose they are pretty much all the same
    Wives or garages?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    I totally get that things wind us up, but to me, that wouldnt particularly bother me. They found a problem , and they fixed it.
    That was just one of the issues I had. The vehicle I bought had a problem with the flywheel going quite quickly, it was a well known fault, but they kept trying to say it was the clutch which wasn’t covered by the warranty. I took it up to sighthill and the guy there booked it in without even asking any questions.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Wives or garages?
    Less hassle with the garage believe me!!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    A bit off topic, but I had a weird experience last week. We were across for a weeks holiday and I hired a car from Sixt at the airport - a Vauxhall Crossland, £205 for the week with unlimited mileage - a pretty good deal.

When we went to collect the car, the woman at the desk explained that the car might not suit our needs as it only had a 1 litre engine (I told her that I didn't think they did Crosslands with 1l engines). However, she kindly offered me an upgrade to some 1.6l automatic for a special price of only £180 extra for the week, explaining that we'd get this money back with what we saved on petrol.

I declined this very kind offer, while asking her what sort of mileage she thought we were going to do in a week to save £180 on petrol?

When she came back with the key, she said that we were in luck. She'd found us a Crossland 1.2l that "wasn't in the computer system".

I asked my wife to check the back of my head for buttons but she never found any, so I'm not sure how Sixt think that this sort of BS would work.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    A bit off topic, but I had a weird experience last week. We were across for a weeks holiday and I hired a car from Sixt at the airport - a Vauxhall Crossland, £205 for the week with unlimited mileage - a pretty good deal.

When we went to collect the car, the woman at the desk explained that the car might not suit our needs as it only had a 1 litre engine (I told her that I didn't think they did Crosslands with 1l engines). However, she kindly offered me an upgrade to some 1.6l automatic for a special price of only £180 extra for the week, explaining that we'd get this money back with what we saved on petrol.

I declined this very kind offer, while asking her what sort of mileage she thought we were going to do in a week to save £180 on petrol?

When she came back with the key, she said that we were in luck. She'd found us a Crossland 1.2l that "wasn't in the computer system".

I asked my wife to check the back of my head for buttons but she never found any, so I'm not sure how Sixt think that this sort of BS would work.

It would if it was someone who knows bugger all about cars.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I've had a bad experience where I was blatantly lied to over the phone and to my face about paper driving licences. Their website says they are permitted but the cow in the salesroom argued that I was wrong.

Resulted in a refund for the van I hired and an apology from the manager. Arnold Shark. Avoid.
    Was she getting mixed up between old style paper licence and paper counterpart?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Really sadly common. I lasted ten months in car hire before leaving. Not willing to sell by any means necessary.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Really sadly common. I lasted ten months in car hire before leaving. Not willing to sell by any means necessary.
    She obviously realised that I wasn't taken in at all and asked me to say what we thought of her on the customer satisfaction survey and not the stuff about engine sizes which "comes from the company".

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    She obviously realised that I wasn't taken in at all and asked me to say what we thought of her on the customer satisfaction survey and not the stuff about engine sizes which "comes from the company".
    I remember getting a scathing review when I refused to deliver a car to someone who was completely snowed in and couldn’t come to collect it. They flew off the handle when I pointed out that if they can’t get out, I similarly couldn’t get in 😂

It was the combination of constantly taking flak from customers and management in equal measures. Totally miserable.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

They must've dug out the worst car in Spain when i declined to upgrade from a Fiesta at Malaga Airport, when i enquired about the body work i was told take it or pay for an upgrade. I've seen stock cars in better condition.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

That always gets me with these types of companies.

If they had actually offered you a half decent upgrade that they had a better margin on but tempted you there and then because it was bigger/better/fancier/didn’t seem that much more etc they could probably up sell quite easily.

But no. Let’s try and rip the p by telling you a load of crock and in the process trying to fleece you for almost 100% more dough as part of a ‘special offer’.

It’s just rude.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Yeah they came this afternoon and took it to their garage. They've phoned and said their gonna fix it and it will ready for collection tomorrow night. I've said we should get our money back and get a different car but my daughter has fallen in love with this one and is wanting to keep it. Trying to explain stuff to her is proving difficult and having none of it. My wife isn't helping the situation as she's siding with my daughter and saying "let her keep the car". Seriously, could scream sometimes lol.
    Any update on the car? did it get fixed or replaced or refund?????

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Any update on the car? did it get fixed or replaced or refund?????
    I lost out. They (wife & daughter) decided to keep the car. She's had it back for a week and fingers crossed, no problems yet. In saying that, car seemed to have a leak. Was water dripping from under the right hand side of the car, under the drivers seat. Went up to the garage to check it out as was water and not oil or petrol and they said it was due to the air condition (its a Fiat 500). Seems its a regular issue with them and its sorted its self out.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I lost out. They (wife & daughter) decided to keep the car. She's had it back for a week and fingers crossed, no problems yet. In saying that, car seemed to have a leak. Was water dripping from under the right hand side of the car, under the drivers seat. Went up to the garage to check it out as was water and not oil or petrol and they said it was due to the air condition (its a Fiat 500). Seems its a regular issue with them and its sorted its self out.
    Yep nothing to worry about quite normal with air con, it’s just condensate dripping out.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Yeah that’s normal nothing to worry about

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    I’m looking at cars just now. I’ve only ever had 3 cars, and all have been bought through Gumtree at the lower end of the market.

I’m looking at getting a newer one and have finance pretty much sorted, I’m a bit confused about pricing though. Looking at cars in my budget, and there seems to be a big difference between the age of cars at the same price. Some are 2010 and there’s a few that are 2014. The 2014 one I’m looking at, has decent mileage, but does that mean there’s something wrong with it for it to be the same price as a 2010 car with higher mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I’m looking at cars just now. I’ve only ever had 3 cars, and all have been bought through Gumtree at the lower end of the market.

I’m looking at getting a newer one and have finance pretty much sorted, I’m a bit confused about pricing though. Looking at cars in my budget, and there seems to be a big difference between the age of cars at the same price. Some are 2010 and there’s a few that are 2014. The 2014 one I’m looking at, has decent mileage, but does that mean there’s something wrong with it for it to be the same price as a 2010 car with higher mileage?

The brand of the car can make a big difference, the engine size, the spec, sometimes the toys and gadgets, the tax status of the car, etc

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex

Typical Car Hire Company tactics! - All the big players like Hertz, Sixt, Enterprise, and Green Motion all do the same and try and get as much from you as possible via 'addons' and 'extras'.

When I return to the UK I always try and rent from somewhere that will not take a deposit or I can pay in cash. I've found Easirent to be particulary reasonable if you read the Terms and Conditions and take their top cover were no pre-authorization is required on your credit card and they accept cash!

To bring back on subject, Arnold Clark Rental are very good as well with low to zero deposit and a decent fleet of cars .. Paid for a Corsa and got a Ford Focus ST Line!

Quote Originally Posted by blaikie View Post
    Typical Car Hire Company tactics! - All the big players like Hertz, Sixt, Enterprise, and Green Motion all do the same and try and get as much from you as possible via 'addons' and 'extras'.

When I return to the UK I always try and rent from somewhere that will not take a deposit or I can pay in cash. I've found Easirent to be particulary reasonable if you read the Terms and Conditions and take their top cover were no pre-authorization is required on your credit card and they accept cash!

To bring back on subject, Arnold Clark Rental are very good as well with low to zero deposit and a decent fleet of cars .. Paid for a Corsa and got a Ford Focus ST Line!
    When I was booking online, Sixt also proposed the guarantee of having a sat-nav in the car for an extra £16 per day, ie. £112 for the week. You can buy one (or even 2) for that!

I obviously didn't take the option and there was one in the car anyway.