hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Morton 17 08 19)

It seemed strange to feel downbeat when leaving Easter Road after a 5-3 win but that’s exactly how I felt as I made my way back to my car. It was a strange sort of game as we took a 2-0 lead and were cruising before defensive frailties allowed Morton to pull a goal back whereupon we kinda fell apart a bit and allowed them to equalise before the break. A 3-2 lead was then secured before we allowed ourselves to sit so deep we were under constant pressure as the final minute loomed before we once again shot ourselves in the foot by allowing Morton to equalise and take the game into extra time. Thankfully we got another two goals and secured a place in tomorrow’s draw but I couldn’t help but think that a decent top tier team would have rolled us over. We had loads of chances, spurned them and looked all at sea at the back.

After the Ibrox debacle it was no surprise that Hecky made numerous changes to the starting eleven. Maxwell and Gray started, as did Lewis who got a fine ovation when the teams were being read out. I confess I was surprised he was starting as he hasn’t had any minutes so far this season and sadly it showed in the first half especially, causing me to feel that Hecky had made an error in throwing him straight in after recovering from injury. Further forward there were starting places too for Slivka and of course debutant Middleton who replaced Newell and who lined up wide left with Horgan wide right. Mallan was suspended and Mackie dropped out altogether, perhaps a reflection of his hand ball madness at Ibrox.

There was a bright start from Hibs with much less evidence of sideways and backwards passing. Indeed they moved the ball forward relatively quickly and had clearly been told to involve Middleton as much as possible. Numerous passes found their way to the new man and he showed up well in terms of possession and distribution. An early chance for Kamberi saw him fail to make good contact with a lovely Horgan cross with the goal open before him. It was mostly all Hibs at this point but an injury to McGregor saw him have to be replaced by Jackson. I didn’t see how Daz had injured himself but it looked like it might be a pull of some kind.

The inevitable breakthrough came when Middleton picked out Allan in the box with Scotty taking a touch to steady himself before firing past Rogers. Next, pressure on the left side of the Morton defence allowed Horgan to sneak in behind before cutting the ball back for Vela to score his first goal in Hibs colours. It had been noticeable how often Vela ventured forward with Slivka providing cover for the back four.

I’m not sure whether the players thought the game was in the bag but they reduced in number the flow of forward passes and so invited pressure from Morton. With around five minutes to go until the break, Cadden tied Stevenson in all sorts of knots before firing in a low ball which McHugh poked home from close range. It hadn’t been the best 45 minutes from Lewis but to be fair to him I thought he got better as the game progressed.

As soon as that goal went in it seemed Hibs went into some kind of meltdown and found themselves under increasing pressure with the break approaching. Nesbitt broke free on their left and hit a low ball across the six yard box and I have to say I was amazed that Maxwell didn’t just drop on it to remove the danger. He didn’t and as McHugh tried to capitalise, Stevenson was unlucky to see his attempted clearance come off him and roll over the line. The home fans boos at the break were inevitable and borne purely out of frustration.

Both teams started fairly brightly in the second half but just ten minutes in, Hibs regained the lead. Middleton fed the ball in behind the Morton central defence and Rogers had a rush of blood to the head as he raced from goal only for Kamberi to take possession, round him and fire home from an acute angle.

In fairness, Morton had a real go after that and Hibs had a few narrow escapes whilst at the other end, Murray who’d come on for the tiring Middleton found himself in acres of space at the back post but as he tried to steer the ball home he didn’t give it any elevation and Rogers scrambled across to block with his legs.

With only seconds left to play, a scramble in the Hibs penalty area saw Whittaker try to clear, only to slice the ball into his own net. He’ll get pelters for that no doubt but questions should also be asked of our missing midfield players who allowed the ball to be launched into the box unopposed.

Into extra time and Morton still fancied their chances by piling forward at every opportunity. Lady luck then played a part as Vela clearly fouled his opponent in gaining possession before passing the ball to Allan who sent a lovely ball through the middle whereupon Kamberi outfoxed a defender and scored yet another one on one against an advancing goalkeeper. Morton substitute Tumilty will have thought he’d struck yet another equaliser but a fine save by Maxwell foiled him. Right at the death, Doidge cleverly got in behind his marker and gently lobbed the ball over Rogers and into the empty net to kill off Morton once and for all.

The players

Maxwell – Although beaten by two own goals he wasn’t entirely blameless, for the first of those in particular as he let a ball run past him in the six yard area when he could have simple dropped on it to remove the danger.

Gray – A wholehearted performance from SDG and given his lack of minutes this season it was no surprise when he was replaced by Whittaker with fifteen minutes of normal time remaining.

Daz – Only lasted for around a quarter of an hour or so and so was present when we were controlling the game with some ease.

Hanlon – I’ve long been a fan of Paul but I have to admit his form has not been great for some time now. Yes he played through an injury last season but his performances so far this season have fallen way below his own standards.

Stevenson – Was really struggling in the first half as the pace of the game had him blowing hard but given that was his first appearance of the season I thought he stuck to the task and improved as the game wore on.

Horgan – Another ‘blowing hot and cold’ performance from Daryl. Some of his crosses are first class whilst others are absolutely dreadful. When he was good he was very good but that form seems to come in small bursts while he continues to frustrate me by jumping out of any sort of physical challenge. In fairness though, he was involved in goals today so perhaps I’m being overly harsh on him.

Slivka – For a very long time now I’ve convinced myself that the lad is a player and that he needs a settled run of games to show that. Today he replaced Mallan who gets regular pelters from MB posters but the truth is, Slivka was no better, blew his chance to shine and so that ‘run of games’ will probably never happen.

Vela – Got into advanced positions far more often today and capitalised with his first goal for the club. Ineptitude by referee Alan Muir meant that Vela successfully ‘mugged’ an opponent in the lead up to Hibs’ fourth goal.

Allan – The laddie oozes class but just as at Ibrox last week his frustration at times made him look for the killer ball when an easier pass was on. Having said that, he’s finding the net and long may that continue.

Middleton – I liked what I saw – a lot. Good first touch, neat passing and constant involvement he’ll be a fine addition.

Kamberi – Whether the red tops were right or not in reporting that Basel were ‘poised’ to make an offer of £2m for Flo, it didn’t seem to affect his play in what I felt was his best game in a long while. Two goals, tireless running and effective link up play earned him my man of the match award.

Jackson – The big fella is pretty good in the air for the most part, although it’s slightly alarming on occasion when he gets stuck under the ball defending corners and free kicks into the box. On the couple of times it happened today, he got away with it.

Whittaker – I was pretty disgusted when a couple of fans a few rows back from me actually booed when Whitty entered the fray and followed that up with a few expletive ridden verbal assaults on the guy. I can’t remember a player being treated that way at ER since the equally disgusting treatment dished out to Joe Tortolano.

Murray – I thought Fraser did well enough although he needs to work on the defensive side of his game a bit. He must have thought he’d scored but his care in placing the ball precisely allowed their keeper to recover.

Doidge – Has he made history today in being our first ever fourth substitute? Got the odd nice flick-on and took his goal very well.

Hecky – I’ve no idea what he said after the game and can only assume he’s happy we’re still in the draw.

The fans – Attendance figure was pure guesswork as after yet another debacle at the East Stand turnstiles the stewards eventually just opened the doors for people to pile in.

Alan Muir – To use a phrase oft trotted out on the MB – deary me.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Agree JB . But thought the East stand linesman was as inept as the ref.
    But he did miss Kamberi looking a yard offside for our 4th goal .
    It’s all about being in the draw for the quarters .
    Both our strikers scored and as you said , Middleton looks like he will be a good addition. Still feel we need a defensive midfielder tho .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Testimonial Due
    Thanks Jonnyboy

@hibs.net private member KinchHibee's Avatar
    I think it was Stockdale who was quoted in the post match interview so still to hear Hecky's thoughts, unless Hibs TV have an interview?

@hibs.net private member
    Always amazes me how you can provide such a balanced view after bad performances, I need about a week to calm down to be able to give a balanced view. Always look forward to your summary of the games!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it was Stockdale who was quoted in the post match interview so still to hear Hecky's thoughts, unless Hibs TV have an interview?
    Stockdale did the interview. Heck had a prearranged family appointment according to Hibs Twitter

Thanks Jonnyboy for your measured comments which balance out the more feverish comments elsewhere. I always feel I'm on the same wavelength without the shouty pelters others favour.

Quote Originally Posted by HFC 0-7 View Post
    Always amazes me how you can provide such a balanced view after bad performances, I need about a week to calm down to be able to give a balanced view. Always look forward to your summary of the games!
    Ach, I'm just too long in the tooth to let Hibs get me down
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Me too.
    A great summary and pretty much how I saw it.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I'm just as 'long in the tooth' as you but still can't manage this sang froid . Can you bottle it and sell it to fellow fans - at a reasonable price, of course!

Thanks for the report Jonnyboy.
    I attended the Susan Calman show at the BBC instead but kept sneaking peaks at my phone for updates throughout.
    Good to hear Middleton did well and that Kamberi seems to be on it.
    Our porous defence needs Porteous. His fellow centre half's are making it easy for him to slot right back into the team as soon as fit.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 18-08-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sas_The_Hibby View Post
    I'm just as 'long in the tooth' as you but still can't manage this sang froid . Can you bottle it and sell it to fellow fans - at a reasonable price, of course!
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent!
    Kamberi's open goal was far from an acute angle and the build up to the 4th Sheild out muscled Murray but didnt like it when slivka returned the favour..

Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    Kamberi's open goal was far from an acute angle and the build up to the 4th Sheild out muscled Murray but didnt like it when slivka returned the favour..
    OK, maybe not acute angle - just a pretty one
    This is how it feels

Agree with most of that summary JB but think you understate Fraser Murray’s need to brush up defensively. He cost us one goal and almost cost us another.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Agree with most of that summary JB but think you understate Fraser Murray’s need to brush up defensively. He cost us one goal and almost cost us another.
    Good point, well made
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    Kamberi should have squared for Scott Allan for a tap in at 2-0 (I think). He was greedy and had a pop himself that the keeper saved at the near post. Scotty was giving him daggers.

We improved greatly when whitty came on. Defence in general was a shambles all game tho.
    I've been a critic of Flo but he was outstanding today

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Kamberi should have squared for Scott Allan for a tap in at 2-0 (I think). He was greedy and had a pop himself that the keeper saved at the near post. Scotty was giving him daggers.
    Not sure that ball was on looking at the highlights. Allan never made a great run and it would have had to be an amazing ball to find him, Flo did the right thing having a pop imo. The highlights also showed another big decision going against us. Flo was clearly shoved in the back when about to strike centre of the goal with keeper to beat. That might have made it 4-2 and game probably over.

For all Lewis was tormented for the first goal it was poor defending by Jackson in the middle and as Johnny says what was Maxwell doing for their second.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant once again Jonnyboy

I too remember the abuse Joe Tortolano took from the terraces back in the day.

A John Blackley signing from WBA

In my humble opinion most of the latest signings at Easter Road couldnae lace his boots

Constantly got pelters from the boo boys but always gave 100%

That is all you can ask for

Good report as usual.

I thought Kamberi was superb. Sadly, some really poor performances today, in particular Slivka.

Quote Originally Posted by Posh Hibby View Post
    Good report as usual.

I thought Kamberi was superb. Sadly, some really poor performances today, in particular Slivka.
    Slivka who set up 3 of the goals?

Maybe I'm being harsh as he hasn't had many minutes yet, but our midfield didn't control the game in the second half and I felt he was the main reason why.

His pass for Doidges goal was a positive.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    What is folks issue with Whittaker?! He's genuinely been great this season when he's played and always gives us 100%.

Aye, he's slow. That's not going to change. Everyone knows that, but he came on today, calmed things down and got us out of defence going forward with a few excellent passes.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    He wasn't great yesterday though. I always stick up for the boy and really want him to do well. But he won't be starting again anytime soon based on yesterday's performance. Assists included.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Slivka was good. He's more suited to playing like McGeouch, starting moves, retaining possession, getting away from players putting him under pressure.

I'm still not sure what Vela does. He doesn't bomb forward and back, and he doesn't win loads of 50/50s. I don't think he's reached full fitness as he came in after the majority of preseason was done, so he's got a while yet to show what he's about.

I thought Gray had a shocker, pulling out of challanges and headers, very unlike him. If he's still struggling for fitness, I get that, but Whittaker should have started in that case. Stevenson had a ropey first half, but improved see second.

Doidge took his goal well, but didn't try a leg to close down or relieve pressure. Horgan was a threat whenever he had the ball, and Allan scored and created some really good chances.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    What is folks issue with Whittaker?! He's genuinely been great this season when he's played and always gives us 100%.

Aye, he's slow. That's not going to change. Everyone knows that, but he came on today, calmed things down and got us out of defence going forward with a few excellent passes.
    Whittaker was the pick of our defence yesterday for the composure he brought.

Gray and Stevenson looked short of match fitness, Hanlon seems to have slipped from the player he was We didn't see much of MacGregor, but Jackson (who will need to up his game once Porteous is fit) struck me as a like for like replacement - solid and limited. I'm happy with that in a centre half because they are there to defend.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Only 2 was it not 3 and 5. Thought he was ok passing could have been better at times.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post

Good post..some people are sheep and follow the views of others..some people don’t look at what is happening...merely repeat previously held opinions ...

He brought composure to a struggling back four yesterday ...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Good post..some people are sheep and follow the views of others..some people don’t look at what is happening...merely repeat previously held opinions ...

He brought composure to a struggling back four yesterday ...
    Other than being part of a terrible team performance at Ibrox he's had a very strong start to the season, definitely a bright spot.