hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Good luck to him I say. Maybe he's just in a really good place in his life and this suits him perfectly?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine if he never played stokes through in the 89th minute to win That corner... He could've took a shot but passed.
    I've said it on here before i actually thought at the time it was a poor ball and i was raging at him. He took too long to play it and Stokes had to slow down to receive it. If it was a better ball we might not have scored from it so couldn't give a monkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    No one released him, his contract expired and he didnt sign the new contract that was offered,if he wasnt that good a player we wouldnt have offered him a contract in the first place. Does it matter that mcgeouchs deal was available for longer, that's just like barcelona having messi's contract available longer than busquests, one player is clearly better than the other but doesnt mean the other is not a good player

If his contract wasnt renewed then he was released. Lets not split hairs.

It matters in the sense that people keep describing Fyvie as great and this and that but he obviously couldnt have been that great if we werent willing to wait. He came in, done alright, became a hibs legend and left. We didnt go on a downward spiral once he left and there werent games where people came away from them thinking "we missed Fyvie today". People are saying they wouldve taken him in midfield now on the basis that our recruitement in midfield has been poor for the last 3 windows.

Some absolute nonsense on this thread. For one thing Fyvie hardly ever gave the ball away, thats what he was good at. He kept the ball moving, did the simple things very easily. No hollywood balls etc, but brought others into play.

But really, why the need to insult one of our Cup winners? I really just don't get that. Every one of them has a place in Hibs history. 114 years wait and then put's the boot into one of the players. Weird as f***.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post

It matters in the sense that people keep describing Fyvie as great and this and that but he obviously couldnt have been that great if we werent willing to wait. He came in, done alright, became a hibs legend and left. We didnt go on a downward spiral once he left and there werent games where people came away from them thinking "we missed Fyvie today". People are saying they wouldve taken him in midfield now on the basis that our recruitement in midfield has been poor for the last 3 windows.
    At what point was he "released" then ? FACT is he was not released. He was offered a new contract which suggests to me that the club wanted to retain his services. He chose not to accept the terms offered so effectively he "released " himself. His existing contract had expired and he,therefore, was out of contract thus making him a free agent. I struggle to understand how we can "release" a free agent !!!

Perhaps through your your knowledge of the Law of Contract and that of Offer and Acceptance you can enlighten me as to how a free agent can be "released".

Seems to me you are the one splitting hairs here tbh.

FWIW i would have been delighted had he resigned.

Testimonial Due

He was offered a new contract but knocked it back - I think he wanted more money. Changed his mind but the orginal contract offer was pulled. Not released and we offered him a new deal.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Neil Lennon wanted quick responses from Fyvie Fontaine MacGregor Gray and Bartley at the end of our Championship winning season re extending their contracts

Fyvie 24 at the time was offered a three year contract on top wages

He rejected this out of hand preferring to keep his options open

Lennon was not best pleased

He then decided that his best option was to remain with HIBS and sign the contract

A no nonsense Lennon told him it was too late and that the contract offer was withdrawn

It may well be that Lennon had his wages earmarked for another player one thing for sure is that under Lennon you never ever crossed him as there was always only going to be one winner or it may be that like others on here Lennon did not really rate Fraser Fyvie but why offer him such a lucrative contract in the first place?

For whatever reason Fraser Fyvies gamble did not pay off

Hibs legend!

Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 20-08-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    He was offered a new contract but knocked it back - I think he wanted more money. Changed his mind but the orginal contract offer was pulled. Not released and we offered him a new deal.
    Biggest mistake Fyvie ever made

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Some absolute nonsense on this thread. For one thing Fyvie hardly ever gave the ball away, thats what he was good at. He kept the ball moving, did the simple things very easily. No hollywood balls etc, but brought others into play.

But really, why the need to insult one of our Cup winners? I really just don't get that. Every one of them has a place in Hibs history. 114 years wait and then put's the boot into one of the players. Weird as f***.
    Agree!

I think that there are some people that are so perfect in their own jobs that any bad pass, poor tackle, missed chance is seen as a major negative. Hence why they seem to be so critical of some (many) Hibs players.

Jeez! It's Hibs they are playing for. If they we perfect in all that they do, they wouldn't be at Hibs.

Regarding Fraser Fyvie, I would be interested if those knocking Fraser Fyvie could list the players that they believed were better players for Hibs than Fraser Fyvie, players that played in the central midfield role from the first season Fyvie was with Hibs until now.

Obviously, McGinn, McGeouch and Allan are better players. Henderson obviously was more creative. Bartley was a legend in the eyes of many. Omeonga was very impressive, but for a short period. But apart from that list, who else has been consistently better than Fraser Fyvie.

Fraser Fyvie was great for Hibs, injuries have hampered a great career.

It amazes me that people who have obviously watched the game for years seem to know so little about football. McGeough and Fyvie have both been criticised on here in recent weeks for 'only passing it sideways', 'never running with the ball', 'only making 10 yard passes' and so on.

Every single player can't be Messi. Both are exactly the type or player we are desperately missing now, we are trying to fit square pegs in round holes in filling that position of having someone able to take the ball from the defence, keep the ball and use it and recylcle the ball when a move breaks down and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Fyvie was a tenacious man short if you wanted next level. Hence he’s mulling over La Liga or Serie A the now!
    So we were one central midfielder away from winning the title? Because that's pretty much the only thing he didn't achieve at Hibs.

You are talking absolute slabbers.

I liked Fyvie. A LOT.

He always showed for the ball, never hid and wore the jersey with passion. when he went off injured vs Morton away, our form suffered. Not SOLEY because of FF but it certainly contributed.

He wasn't perfect and I actually thought he would give possession away to easily at times but he would always go after the ball and win it back. Even after a wayward pass he'd offer himself again and again. Sometimes he was slow at moving the ball forward

Once he'd left, we had an ok 6 months. but found a winning formula when we resigned S.Allan and that led to our best midfield in a number of years which I guess can somewhat cloud judgement. He wouldn't be the worst option to have right now for DM

He was the same as most in the championship for us. played well some games. others he was poor.

Contributed significantly to us breaking a 114 year hoodoo so for that will always be a Hibernian FC legend.

Best of luck Fraser
    Last edited by GreenNWhiteArmy; 20-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Promising Youngster
    I think that there are some people that are so perfect in their own jobs that any bad pass, poor tackle, missed chance is seen as a major negative. Hence why they seem to be so critical of some (many) Hibs players.

Jeez! It's Hibs they are playing for. If they we perfect in all that they do, they wouldn't be at Hibs.
    Agree. Even teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid do not have complete control of a game. Supercritical people can be a pain at a game but are horrendous in charge of a keyboard. Faults, flaws and mistakes are all part of the game.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Fyvie was a good player. A level or two below McGinn & McGeough, and didn’t compliment those two in terms of midfield balance (which wasn’t his fault).

I’d have been happy enough if he had stayed as cover for McGinn & McGeough, but at the same time wasn’t overly fussed when he left. He seems to be a player that causes extreme revisionism the longer he is away, be it how good or bad he was depending on what side of the fence you sit on.

An asset to the squad but not irreplaceable is how I remember him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Fyvie was a good player. A level or two below McGinn & McGeough, and didn’t compliment those two in terms of midfield balance (which wasn’t his fault).

I’d have been happy enough if he had stayed as cover for McGinn & McGeough, but at the same time wasn’t overly fussed when he left. He seems to be a player that causes extreme revisionism the longer he is away, be it how good or bad he was depending on what side of the fence you sit on.

An asset to the squad but not irreplaceable is how I remember him.
    I don't think many think he was a world beater. Most just have issues with the bizarre personal attacks on one of our Scottish Cup winners. There is just no need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    I don't think many think he was a world beater. Most just have issues with the bizarre personal attacks on one of our Scottish Cup winners. There is just no need for it.
    We're good at that. The level of abuse some of our past and present players and staff get is really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    We're good at that. The level of abuse some of our past and present players and staff get is really sad.
    Its pretty sad. I do wonder if all support's have such a negative and abusive (towards their own) element to their support as we do. Do the Jambos have threads sticking the boot into their '5-1' legends? I very much doubt it. Or perhaps they do. Either way, I struggle to see what the likes of MajorHibs get from these types of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DMH0762 View Post
    At what point was he "released" then ? FACT is he was not released. He was offered a new contract which suggests to me that the club wanted to retain his services. He chose not to accept the terms offered so effectively he "released " himself. His existing contract had expired and he,therefore, was out of contract thus making him a free agent. I struggle to understand how we can "release" a free agent !!!

Perhaps through your your knowledge of the Law of Contract and that of Offer and Acceptance you can enlighten me as to how a free agent can be "released".

Seems to me you are the one splitting hairs here tbh.

FWIW i would have been delighted had he resigned.
    His contract expired therefore he was released at the end of it. There wasnt a contract on the table when he left the club so what other way can you describe it? It wasnt a mutual decision as he changed his mind and wanted to sign the contract but was too late. Its not rocket science and i dont know why youre doing mental gymnastics over it.

@hibs.net private member
    His contract expired therefore he was released at the end of it. There wasnt a contract on the table when he left the club so what other way can you describe it? It wasnt a mutual decision as he changed his mind and wanted to sign the contract but was too late. Its not rocket science and i dont know why youre doing mental gymnastics over it.

This has gone on far too long and mainly because of you. To be released it has to be from a contract. To not re-sign a player is not a release, you have to be released from something. He was made an offer of a new contract, he took too long to give an answer and the offer was withdrawn. Definitely not rocket science.

Testimonial Due
    You are contradicting yourself. You said there was no contract and then you say he did not sign the contract on offer. Clearly not released but Fyfie gambled on getting a better offer from Hibs or elsewhere. Ar this pint just be big enough to admit you were wrong and we will will forget all about it.

Nah - I didn't want him to leave when he did, and would have had him our our team (most weeks the starting 11) ever since. And having witnessed that dross on Saturday, would bite your hand off for a fit Fraser Fyvie right now. While his attitude alone would probably have helped get us out of whatever gear we maintained at the weekend, his ability is played down an awful lot on here, in my opinion.

There's been talk of injury problems being the real reason he's taken such a big step down. I wish him all the best.

Oh and Majorissues should seek help.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    https://youtu.be/vObiSaF7gaM

Not bad for a player that cannae tackle
    A lunge which gave away a free kick and was a borderline red card? Billy we could get a guy out the pub to do that.

Look, I have no issue with the guy. Good luck to him wherever he goes. I just won’t pretend he was a particularly good player for us, regardless if he won the cup. Do you think hearts fans remember darren barr as a class player because he scored in the 5-1? I’ll save you the hassle replying, the answer is no.

You are contradicting yourself. You said there was no contract and then you say he did not sign the contract on offer. Clearly not released but Fyfie gambled on getting a better offer from Hibs or elsewhere. Ar this pint just be big enough to admit you were wrong and we will will forget all about it.
    Sigh

Left by mutual consent!
    Excellent player. Another rabbit out the hat from Stubbs and I was delighted when we signed him. Great to be able to call on that sort of talent to make up for the times the more celebrated McGinn and McGeouch maybe weren't on song or, in the latter case, injured.

In hindsight he must wish he'd signed that deal when it was offered. Like Scott Allan, he'd never really settled at one club and he played by far his most consistent football with Hibs - yet obviously thought the grasss might be that bit greener elsewhere.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    A lunge which gave away a free kick and was a borderline red card? Billy we could get a guy out the pub to do that.

Look, I have no issue with the guy. Good luck to him wherever he goes. I just won’t pretend he was a particularly good player for us, regardless if he won the cup. Do you think hearts fans remember darren barr as a class player because he scored in the 5-1? I’ll save you the hassle replying, the answer is no.
    That was a cracking tackle, won the ball. Most fans are crying out for that in our midfield just now

Contradicting myself 😂

I clearly said there wasnt a contract on offer at the end of his contract. That is a fact. I didnt say he wasnt offered a contract at all. Now be big enough to stop patronising people and admit that you were wrong

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

Brilliant tackle won the ball fair and square

My point is he was not afraid to get stuck in especially against Der Hun contrary to what you said

What about Waghorn who already booked runs 50 yards to shove Fyvie no action and why does Bartley get booked?

Fair play to Barr even although he was pish scored against a HIBS team packed with mercenaries in a national cup final at Hampden

At the end of the day Fraser Fyvie has a Championship medal and two national cup winning medals

I remember Fraser Fyvie on that great day and SDG who refused to come off injured driving us on at 1-2 down sensing that The Rangers were there for the taking sensing they were tiring and hanging on for the final whistle so much for someone that cannot dictate the pace and tempo of a game

No hassle in replying to your post we are both passionate about our club it is just that we both see different players differently

I have supported HIBS for over fifty years and I have seen a lot worse than Fraser Fyvie and not many can say they have a Scottish Cup winners medal with the mighty Hibernian FC.

I'm surprised it didn't work out for Fraser at Utd. He's a decent player and surely good enough for Championship level (or better)

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    One of the most under appreciated skills in football is the ability to keep the ball, or play the simple pass well.

Fyvie was good at this. Playing the easy pass, but at the right weight for the player receiving it. Stevenson also great at this.

Fond memories of Fyvie as a player. Got around the pitch well too.