hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hibs legend. Good luck to him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Some amount of nonsense on this thread, think a few of you have selective memories. Fraser fyvie was woeful bar a decent first 6 months in his first season. There’s a reason he’s ended up at cove rangers. If he was still anywhere near good enough for hibs he would not be at a team who were playing in the highland league last season, simple as that.

Astonished at how many of you rated him.

Fyvie was the guy all the defenders looked to to take the ball and start moves, something he did regularly. Why people can't see what a vital part of the team this is is beyond me, or maybe I know bugger all about football.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fyvie was the guy all the defenders looked to to take the ball and start moves, something he did regularly. Why people can't see what a vital part of the team this is is beyond me, or maybe I know bugger all about football.

It does seem to be blind spot among some people who attend games.

"Water carrier", "unseen work".

Never seen any of those players carrying water and what they do is right in front of you. If you get a good one, and the best I ever saw was Pat Stanton, it makes everyone else on the pitch jobs' easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Some amount of nonsense on this thread, think a few of you have selective memories. Fraser fyvie was woeful bar a decent first 6 months in his first season. There’s a reason he’s ended up at cove rangers. If he was still anywhere near good enough for hibs he would not be at a team who were playing in the highland league last season, simple as that.

Some amount of nonsense you post, think it's you that has selective memory. Fraser Fyvie was excellent in many games. Have a look at Hibs record in the games after he got injured against Morton away. We went on a run of loses that ultimately meant The Rangers free wheeled to the title.

Astonished you don't rate him, when majority on this thread do.

Opinions eh!

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Fraser fyvie was brian Hamilton reincarnated, all endeavour & not enough end product. You want to support a team that beats your rivals, you need the winner, not the guy who can’t do the basics, who constantly messes up good moves, who makes decent teammates look poor due to inability. For me they were absolute drains on the talent around them cos they couldn’t do the basics & continuously gave away possession which put Hibs on the back foot due to their inability. In short, I thought both of them were terrible, & cost us SO SO many games. Absolute mince players. Sorry. But they were crap & dragged decent teams with potential down to their level cos they were mates & liked.
    Now I tended to think he was a bit overrated myself and I didn't think it was all that great a loss when there was the confusion over renewing his contract but your assessment is garbage.

It really is.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 19-08-2019 at 08:50 PM.

I attended every single game in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. He was anything but woeful. So woeful we won the cup and got promoted? How is that possible with a woeful player playing every week?

He is world class, that is why he won the FA Cup. See how easy it is to just make blanket statements? Him being at cove now has nothing to do with how good he was for Hibs.

Astonished that 95% of people can think something and you don't even question that you might be incorrect for being in the 5%

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Some amount of nonsense you post, think it's you that has selective memory. Fraser Fyvie was excellent in many games. Have a look at Hibs record in the games after he got injured against Morton away. We went on a run of loses that ultimately meant The Rangers free wheeled to the title.

Astonished you don't rate him, when majority on this thread do.

Opinions eh!
    Gave the ball away far too often. Didn’t really offer anything actually. Wasn’t a goal threat, wasn’t a tough-tackling midfielder, didn’t control the tempo, no real eye for a pass.

Sorry to bash the guy here but I just don’t understand the love-in.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Decent Championship player. Surely nothing more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Decent Championship player. Surely nothing more or less.
    How can a guy who played in most games in runs to both cup finals, including a really good performance in a winning final only be a decent championship player? Is he a decent championship player but a wonderful major cup competition player?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I attended every single game in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. He was anything but woeful. So woeful we won the cup and got promoted? How is that possible with a woeful player playing every week?

He is world class, that is why he won the FA Cup. See how easy it is to just make blanket statements? Him being at cove now has nothing to do with how good he was for Hibs.

Astonished that 95% of people can think something and you don't even question that you might be incorrect for being in the 5%
    Being in a majority doesnt make you right. Thats a flawed way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Being in a majority doesnt make you right. Thats a flawed way of thinking.
    Being in such an overwhealming majority that includes the highly regarded managers who consistently played him probably does, though.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Fraser Fyvie:

2014/15 Played 17 won 12 Drew 0 Lost 5
    *2015/16 Played 32 won 20 Drew 5 Lost 7
    2016/17 Played 28 won 15 Drew 9 Lost 4

Total. Played 77 won 47 Drew 14 Lost 16

* 2015/16

Out injured September February and March
    Probably a contributory factor to us just falling short in the title race
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 19-08-2019 at 09:30 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    How can a guy who played in most games in runs to both cup finals, including a really good performance in a winning final only be a decent championship player? Is he a decent championship player but a wonderful major cup competition player?
    There is a bit of a “Lewis” thing for some people with Fyvie...I think some people like the more technical players..those who can dribble, thread some passes, smash into tackles. They see the more obvious contributions, and don’t notice what others do ....Fyvie was a player’s player. Always available for the ball, even if he was not performing. A player you love to have in your team. Better tackler and passer than many recognised...good game awareness and two good feet...a good pro, who seems to have been restricted in recent seasons by injuries. If he gets fit again, would not be surprised to see him back in the top flight. I also liked him as a player...wish him all the very best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like a player who has the guts and spirit to get on the ball repeatedly. Fyvie did that. Every now and again players who do that will give it away.

Whilst he was with us he was as big a part of the team as McGinn and McGeouch were and we missed him big time when he was out with injury.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and to like or dislike players, but I'm gobsmacked at some of the negativity being expressed about Fyvie right now.

And to put it this way - if he was as fit now as he was when he was with us, I'd be signing him and putting him straight into our team.

Gave the ball away far too often. Didn’t really offer anything actually. Wasn’t a goal threat, wasn’t a tough-tackling midfielder, didn’t control the tempo, no real eye for a pass.

Sorry to bash the guy here but I just don’t understand the love-in.
    https://youtu.be/vObiSaF7gaM

Not bad for a player that cannae tackle

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Fyvie tried but for whatever reason like Hamilton all those years ago, the basics eluded him. Big time at crucial times. Endeavours admirable but with not much basic ability the TEAM miss out. Sorry but yer man here, released by Hibs Utd & all else since, has a level. Pity you like him so much you cant see it!

Fyvie tried but for whatever reason like Hamilton all those years ago, the basics eluded him. Big time at crucial times. Endeavours admirable but with not much basic ability the TEAM miss out. Sorry but yer man here, released by Hibs Utd & all else since, has a level. Pity you like him so much you cant see it!
    okay

When were these big times he let us down? Tell me exactly how the team suffered from having him?

Why would I like him if he wasn't a good player? Why would I like a bad player who offered nothing?

Left by mutual consent!
    Did Hibs release him ?? My understanding is they offered him a contract which he dithered over, hoping for a better offer perhaps, and as a result the club because of his reluctance to sign pulled the offer.

okay

When were these big times he let us down? Tell me exactly how the team suffered from having him?

Why would I like him if he wasn't a good player? Why would I like a bad player who offered nothing?
    You, mate, couldnae trap a bag ae cement! Ye couldnae, wi yer teammate flying next tae ye, find him wi a pass. Infuriatingly you’d win the baw then give it away when it was easier to find a teammate! You’d work loads but your FINAL ball, or the basics ae fitba, you just couldnae complete. You had V good performers all around you, & the end product was not where it needed cos there was someone V popular but NOT contributing to standard of other G players, OR standard reqd. (But we aw liked him) Hamilton. Get the idiot specs off & look at the players & team around him! & imagine what might have been won without A. Millers 8 yr love child playing??? A TOP midfielder then, I think would have been glory years! But you all know better eh? Hamilton who won what? Fyvie? Imagine a better player in there who can actually pass to a teammate. Scary how much better imo.

You, mate, couldnae trap a bag ae cement! Ye couldnae, wi yer teammate flying next tae ye, find him wi a pass. Infuriatingly you’d win the baw then give it away when it was easier to find a teammate! You’d work loads but your FINAL ball, or the basics ae fitba, you just couldnae complete. You had V good performers all around you, & the end product was not where it needed cos there was someone V popular but NOT contributing to standard of other G players, OR standard reqd. (But we aw liked him) Hamilton. Get the idiot specs off & look at the players & team around him! & imagine what might have been won without A. Millers 8 yr love child playing??? A TOP midfielder then, I think would have been glory years! But you all know better eh? Hamilton who won what? Fyvie? Imagine a better player in there who can actually pass to a teammate. Scary how much better imo.
    As expected, a load of absolute waffle.

Hibs would not have won anything more without Fyvie. We'd probably have won the league cup had he started in place of Thomson.

Short answers, eh? You know zilch & yer patters mince!

Brian Hamilton

Scottish League Cup winner 1991/92

Scottish Cup Winner 1987

Fraser Fyvie

FA Cup winner 2013

Scottish Cup winner 2016

Scottish Championship winner 2017

Do you notice the common denominator in the above?

Winner

Sometimes people go to the football and fail to appreciate what is happening before their very eyes or comprehend or understand the individual qualities that each individual player brings to the group be it work rate stamina enthusiasm hard work their endeavours go almost unnoticed under the radar Brian Hamilton and Fraser Fyvie were two such players

Another example would be John McGinn but at the opposite end of the spectrum

It is doubtful if we will ever be able to replace him

I for one will be eternally grateful to Fraser Fyvie for the way he played that day in May 2016 s#### player or no!

Hibs would not have won anything more without Fyvie. We'd probably have won the league cup had he started in place of Thomson.
    Fyvie was a tenacious man short if you wanted next level. Hence he’s mulling over La Liga or Serie A the now!

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    The Fyvie we had during the Championship years would walk into our current midfield. Not sure about how he’s faring now after a few bad injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by DMH0762 View Post
    Did Hibs release him ?? My understanding is they offered him a contract which he dithered over, hoping for a better offer perhaps, and as a result the club because of his reluctance to sign pulled the offer.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

You actually understood that?

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    You actually understood that?

Being in such an overwhealming majority that includes the highly regarded managers who consistently played him probably does, though.
    He played under 2 managers at Hibs. One signed him and one released him. If he was as good as made out Hibs wouldnt have withdrawn the offer. See McGeouch as an example, he took longer to decide than Fyvie yet the contract remained on the table until he signed for Sunderland. If he was that good we wouldve waited. We didnt miss him at all the following season as much as some claimed we would either. Infact the following season we ended up with one of the best midfields in most of our lifetime.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    He played under 2 managers at Hibs. One signed him and one released him. If he was as good as made out Hibs wouldnt have withdrawn the offer. See McGeouch as an example, he took longer to decide than Fyvie yet the contract remained on the table until he signed for Sunderland. If he was that good we wouldve waited. We didnt miss him at all the following season as much as some claimed we would either. Infact the following season we ended up with one of the best midfields in most of our lifetime.
    No one released him, his contract expired and he didnt sign the new contract that was offered,if he wasnt that good a player we wouldnt have offered him a contract in the first place. Does it matter that mcgeouchs deal was available for longer, that's just like barcelona having messi's contract available longer than busquests, one player is clearly better than the other but doesnt mean the other is not a good player