hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My first ever Hibs game was v Morton at ER (circa 1973 aged 5!). Won 5-0.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Got a few. Travelled through to Greenock on Milton Mowbray coach a few years ago despite the weather forecast being atrocious. Wind speed 50mph and raining cats and dogs. Big cats and dogs as well. Got picked up at Waterloo Place for the journey to Greenock. Got within ten minutes of the stadium when it was announced that the game was postponed due to the weather of course. I think their groundsman kept saying that there is no chance that the game would be called off but he was wrong. We all went to a club not far from the ground to down a few pints. It was a struggle. Secretly I was pleased that the game got called off as I wasn't looking forward to sitting in the open air getting blown away and pished on. Would have been my first time back there since the Bay City Rollers hit the big time. Shang a Lang.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m sure it was Clydebank, it this was around the McLeish era
    Think their manager had to play in goals for them, as their keeer was injured. Hubs won 3-0
    Thanks! My first away match 👍

Left by mutual consent!
    Cold, windy and sleet. Us playing utter ***** and them scoring the only goal. Sometime in the late Eighties I think.

Quote Originally Posted by supershotmo View Post
    McLeish days

1st game in the 1st division. Sure we scored late on in a 1 nil win.

Barry Lavety was getting pelters
    from the Morton fans
    it was in injury time goal, we were leaving and standing at the top of the terracing when Barry scored, I leapt in the air to celebrate and blootered my head of the old fashioned goalposts type sign at the top of the stairs which identified the aisle numbers....

@hibs.net private member
    Some great memories coming back here. Cheers !

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Got a few. Travelled through to Greenock on Milton Mowbray coach a few years ago despite the weather forecast being atrocious. Wind speed 50mph and raining cats and dogs. Big cats and dogs as well. Got picked up at Waterloo Place for the journey to Greenock. Got within ten minutes of the stadium when it was announced that the game was postponed due to the weather of course. I think their groundsman kept saying that there is no chance that the game would be called off but he was wrong. We all went to a club not far from the ground to down a few pints. It was a struggle. Secretly I was pleased that the game got called off as I wasn't looking forward to sitting in the open air getting blown away and pished on. Would have been my first time back there since the Bay City Rollers hit the big time. Shang a Lang.
    I was on the same bus that day.

Remember the Police saying there were no issues related to the weather near the ground despite Morton fans being all over Twitter posting pictures of the roads around the stadium being completely flooded. Somebody must have finally put their bacon roll down about 1.30 and checked and the game was called off about 1.32.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Can't remember the year, but League Cup, 2-2 after 90 minutes, they won 4-2.

Coaching Staff
    League Cup semi final at Hampden.
    Neil Martin scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw, but also broke his wrist.
    Think it was circa 1964.
    Morton were a division lower but absolutely walking their league.
    Unfortunately we lost the replay 1-0 and it may even have been McGraw who put us out.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    First league game of the 98/99 season after relegation was midweek away to Morton. Big Hibs support rewarded with an added time winner from Barry Lavety in a 0-1 victory.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Remember a game at Cappieliow in the 79/80 relegation season just before Christmas. A big Hibs crowd went through hoping to see the Georgie Boy again. Unfortunately it was his first no show for us and the game ended up 2-0 to Morton.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Went through withe the Musselburgh bus and took a Jambo mate with us.

Absolutely pissed down, won 3-0

Jimmy o'rourke hat trick?

Jambo said Jimmy did nothing except score ... Muppet.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Isak Refvik has my scarf. Gave it to him after a joyous debut in a 2nd leg victory. Andy Ritchie missed a penalty IIRC.
    A bit more on the Isak bit please..?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Aye, I think it was. I love Cappielow, it's an old school stadium and there aren't many left. It was freezing cold that day.

I liked it better when we were allocated part of the covered terrace. There was always enough space for the visiting Hibbies in there when it rained (which was nearly every time).

Remember Barry Lavety's late winner there in first game of our First Division adventure in 98

The match at Easter Road when Chris Hogg was assaulted on the edge of the penalty area and a free kick was given to Morton. They scored the winner from that free kick.

I remember mid 80s(vaguely)getting refused entry into the hibs end at Morton as i was blootered, i went in the Home end, drink in moderation kids🍺👍

Left by mutual consent!
    Not a memory (obviously) but the first ever league match at Easter road was against Morton
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 18-08-2019 at 06:32 AM.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    League Cup semi final at Hampden.
    Neil Martin scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw, but also broke his wrist.
    Think it was circa 1964.
    Morton were a division lower but absolutely walking their league.
    Unfortunately we lost the replay 1-0 and it may even have been McGraw who put us out.
    Remember Alan McGraw well when he was with Hibs also recall we got John Madsen from them absolute rock of a centre half. Was an era when Morton were regularly giving lots of Scandinavian players a start in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    ...any Morton memories ?

Other than always seemingly to be cold and wet at games in cappielow

recall well their good team of the late 70s..Andy Ritchie, Dom Sullivan etc. What a player Ritchie was ..
    I mind a game in the 80s about Christmas time, Roughie was in goals and we were getting beat 4-0 at half-time.went to the boozer which was packed with hibees and had a Barry sing-song

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    ...any Morton memories ?

Other than always seemingly to be cold and wet at games in cappielow

recall well their good team of the late 70s..Andy Ritchie, Dom Sullivan etc. What a player Ritchie was ..
    Saw Andy Ritchie play with Ally MacLeod as the two overage players for Scotland U-21s at Easter Road against Norway when I was a kid.

Much skill from the chubby two!!

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    First league game of the 98/99 season after relegation was midweek away to Morton. Big Hibs support rewarded with an added time winner from Barry Lavety in a 0-1 victory.
    We got engaged 2 wks before. Bought ring & waited for delivery anytime. Above game was a Tuesday night. I was leaving to work offshore following day. Told her I was going to ALL games this season to see the boys promoted. Ring arrives Tues. morning. I told her she could come to Greenock with me with her new ring ring f she wanted, & the morn I’d be offski to work. It absolute p**d down all day & night, & Cappelow (sp) was dismal. Late winner tho fi Barry Lavety! We never wed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Saw Andy Ritchie play with Ally MacLeod as the two overage players for Scotland U-21s at Easter Road against Norway when I was a kid.

Much skill from the chubby two!!
    Yes!! Remember that. Overage players if I recall correctly...

Remember sitting in the main stand at Cappielow, probably 25 years ago, awful game, but just sat along from the great Arthur Montford. Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    The match at Easter Road when Chris Hogg was assaulted on the edge of the penalty area and a free kick was given to Morton. They scored the winner from that free kick.
    That’s the game that sticks in my mind. Not to dissimilar to today’s game. Only difference of course was the final score. They won that game 4-3 from the free kick “that should never have been”. Could well have gone the same way today!!

There was also a game in the late 60s/early 70s where I was “seriously” thinking of switching allegiance to another club. Thankfully we beat Morton 5-0 that day and the rest, as they say, is history. Never regretted that slight wobble since LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I remember Gudmundur Torfason scoring a cracker of a free kick @ ER, I'm clutching at straws a bit but Gordon Hunter might've scored a goal on the volley from the edge of the box in the same game.
    You are correct. Early 1990s. We won 4-3 after being 3-1 behind. Hunter's goal was a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I remember Gudmundur Torfason scoring a cracker of a free kick @ ER, I'm clutching at straws a bit but Gordon Hunter might've scored a goal on the volley from the edge of the box in the same game.
    Gunni Torfason played for St Mirren. Think he played for St J too but never Morton. He did score a few against us though.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
    You are correct. Early 1990s. We won 4-3 after being 3-1 behind. Hunter's goal was a thing of beauty.
    St Mirren.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    A bit more on the Isak bit please..?
    Well him and his mate Sven came over to us one winter from Norway......
    They were very good indeed. Made their debuts in the 2nd leg of a LC tie against Morton.
    Wee Isak got the winner to put us through. 2-1 aggregate.
    He was mobbed outside the players entrance after the game and even though I was maybe about the same height as him I reckon he was big enough to get my scarf. Des Bremner was alongside him IIRC and found this hilarious.
    Hope he still has it.
    The government later robbed us of him.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Well him and his mate Sven came over to us one winter from Norway......
    They were very good indeed. Made their debuts in the 2nd leg of a LC tie against Morton.
    Wee Isak got the winner to put us through. 2-1 aggregate.
    He was mobbed outside the players entrance after the game and even though I was maybe about the same height as him I reckon he was big enough to get my scarf. Des Bremner was alongside him IIRC and found this hilarious.
    Hope he still has it.
    The government later robbed us of him.
    That night - all night- chanting Isak Isak with fists in the air, it felt like we were off to conquer everything with our new Scandinavian players, but red tape killed it! Tragic at the time. That looked like a potential V good Hibs team wi them!