hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Joe Newell

Does anyone else feel he is being played out of position?

He’s not a runner whatsoever so why is he playing left midfield? He would surely be better playing either central (unlikely with Scotty there) or right. He’s not gonna run at full back that’s not the kind of player he is. I don’t understand why Hecky hasn’t tried him right and Horgan left, let him come inside on his left foot, that would surely suit him more being the type of player he is.

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    I think Newell will come good

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Remember reading the Rotherham fans forum when we signed him and the majority were saying he had talent and when he was good he was unplayable but he was extremely frustrating and quite often didn't turn up. Only really seen the latter so far.

Looks great on YouTube mind 😉
    Last edited by Since452; 16-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I hope so but he isn’t a winger, he doesn’t have pace, he doesn’t beat player with being tricky, he doesn’t tackle. The formation we play doesn’t really suit a left sided midfielder as opposed to a winger.

If he wants a starting Jersey in our league he needs to be mobile, improve the intensity, or he will be taken to the cleaners at places like ibrox, Tynecastle, pittodrie and fir park

Left by mutual consent!
    Try him on the right.. A sort of reverse Riordan?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Horde View Post
    Try him on the right.. A sort of reverse Riordan?
    Newell is nowhere near the technical ability of Riordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

Really hope the guy turns in a decent skillful performance on Sat if selected. I feel he has already been selected by the boo boys as No.1 target. You don't get scouted and then signed by Hibs if you've nothing to offer. Hopefully he will demonstrate his skill and work very very hard to track back and close down his opponents when necessary.

Go on Joe.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Newell is nowhere near the technical ability of Riordan.
    I'm quite aware.

He has no pace. He has to do more. It is early but you worry that he will fall into the category of inferior replacement. We sign so many of them.

As mentioned he has absolutely zero pace, worse still he is slow. 1st half vs St Mirren he was jogging down the line, full back just shadowing him and i’m thinking go on Son put the jets on and go by the guy. Wow, what i thought was him jogging was actually him going full pelt with the ball, eventually the full back stepped in and block him. 100% never a winger. He knows it as well hence the reason he kept drifting into central midfield positions.
    He played well over 100 games for Rotherham so was clearly a regular first team pick in his time there and you surely can’t get away with it over that length of period. He surely must have something I think to myself.
    But from what i’ve seen so far he’s an imposter. Going to go down in history as one of those honking signings. Would love to see him prove me wrong.

Left by mutual consent!
    Play him in the Stephen Glass role.

Heckingbottom has clearly realised that he's made a mistake in signing him by getting Middleton on loan.

I don't think we will see much of him now till he's shipped back out.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    Heckingbottom has clearly realised that he's made a mistake in signing him by getting Middleton on loan.

I thought so too, but then I thought about it and the last 2 games we've had to use subs due to injury.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

I think Middleton was signed with an eye to Boyle getting injured, although I think he was still needed even if Boyle never got injured.

I don’t really understand what Newell was signed for. If it was to play left wing it is a bad signing and doesn’t address the lack of pace and width. If it was to play central that means we started the season short out wide and why did we need another midfielder who is good on the ball and going forward but poor going the other way. He is in good company with, Mallan, Allan, Slivka, Murray & arguably also Vela.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I think Middleton was signed with an eye to Boyle getting injured, although I think he was still needed even if Boyle never got injured.

I don’t really understand what Newell was signed for. If it was to play left wing it is a bad signing and doesn’t address the lack of pace and width. If it was to play central that means we started the season short out wide and why did we need another midfielder who is good on the ball and going forward but poor going the other way. He is in good company with, Mallan, Allan, Slivka, Murray & arguably also Vela.
    Boyle plays on the right and Middleton on the left and as we seen on Saturday the only other option we have on the right by the looks of it is Scott Allan (who was wasted in that position)

He’ll be a bench warmer until we can get shot of him. It was obvious from his first friendly game he was not up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    He’ll be a bench warmer until we can get shot of him. It was obvious from his first friendly game he was not up to it.

I think it will be interesting how much game time he gets over the next month or so as failure to get many minutes will prove that he was a mistake.

Then again it's probably the fault of the fans for not taking to somebody who looked average at best against the likes of Stirling Albion.

I think he looks like he could be ok in the number 10 role.

Quite a lot of our budget to spend on a deputy for Mallan who himself is a deputy for Allan, both of whom also have to have a team built to cover for the fact that there are things they just can't/ won't do, and no matter how much you want it to work you can't just shoehorn them into other roles.

It's a bit like Fenlon's ample selection of defensive midfielders again, which led to stuff like Liam Craig being played on the right wing and, er, relegation.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    This place is mental.

The guy has played about 3 competitive games for us and people think we are looking to punt him already? Honestly it’s unreal the amount of bed wetting that goes on here.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    This place is mental.

The guy has played about 3 competitive games for us and people think we are looking to punt him already? Honestly it’s unreal the amount of bed wetting that goes on here.
    You can also form an opinion of him from friendly games.

I’d love to see someone put a rocket up his arse. I don’t think I’ve seen him sprint yet, just seems to jog about with no urgency.

He was woeful at Ibrox. A scared wee laddie who was trying to hide.

I'm not at all surprised he was hooked at HT and that he's not featured since. He'll get his chance again but he needs to be much better than he has been in the games he has played so far.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    This place is mental.

So we sign a player and after a few games we replace him with another player on loan who has clearly much more about him and yet you describe that as bed wetting?

He looks lazy and disinterested and has done nothing so far to make me think he's worth a place in the squad.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    So we sign a player and after a few games we replace him with another player on loan who has clearly much more about him and yet you describe that as bed wetting?

He looks lazy and disinterested and has done nothing so far to make me think he's worth a place in the squad.
    Was Middleton signed to replace Newell? Please find me where Hecky has said this?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaporeHibs View Post
    As mentioned he has absolutely zero pace, worse still he is slow. 1st half vs St Mirren he was jogging down the line, full back just shadowing him and i’m thinking go on Son put the jets on and go by the guy. Wow, what i thought was him jogging was actually him going full pelt with the ball, eventually the full back stepped in and block him. 100% never a winger. He knows it as well hence the reason he kept drifting into central midfield positions.
    He played well over 100 games for Rotherham so was clearly a regular first team pick in his time there and you surely can’t get away with it over that length of period. He surely must have something I think to myself.
    But from what i’ve seen so far he’s an imposter. Going to go down in history as one of those honking signings. Would love to see him prove me wrong.
    Is being slow worse than having no pace? I thought they were the same thing?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    You can also form an opinion of him from friendly games.

I’d love to see someone put a rocket up his arse. I don’t think I’ve seen him sprint yet, just seems to jog about with no urgency.
    Ha Ha!

I got slated on here for saying he needed a rocket up his arse after Stirling I am glad someone else agrees with me and he ain’t done nothing since to prove me wrong

Funny thing was he looked a million dollars in the warm up pinging them into the postage stamp

I suppose he is the signing I was most looking forward to yet so disappointed

You cannae kid a kidder 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He was woeful at Ibrox. A scared wee laddie who was trying to hide.

I'm not at all surprised he was hooked at HT and that he's not featured since. He'll get his chance again but he needs to be much better than he has been in the games he has played so far.
    He’s been hooked at half time a few times now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    He’s been hooked at half time a few times now.

I’ve certainly seen him hooked at half time more than I’ve seen him sprint.

If he has no pace and can't play on the wing where is he going to play?

It seems we're trying to create some mythical "left midfield" position that is neither a CM or a winger, just someone that plays somewhere between a winger and a CM that does neither job.

Don't want to be harsh but as written earlier in the thread he'll be a bench warmer until he is off loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    If he has no pace and can't play on the wing where is he going to play?

It seems we're trying to create some mythical "left midfield" position that is neither a CM or a winger, just someone that plays somewhere between a winger and a CM that does neither job.

Don't want to be harsh but as written earlier in the thread he'll be a bench warmer until he is off loaded.
    I previously criticised him on this thread but to offer some sort of hope for the guy, fans of his previous club did say his best games and position is coming off the bench.

He apparently struggled in games he started down south too so maybe he’s just destined to be one of those impact players coming off the bench.

Very possibly clutching at straws though.