hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Sportsound

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's Hibs fans, not people from Edinburgh.
    I'm guessing it comes from Trainspotting. The film, not the book, I doubt they can read.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Perhaps not directly influence the choice of guests but it is reasonable to assume that the BBC would like to have a ‘normal’ relationship with Rangers and that Rangers are keeping the dispute with the BBC going for their own reasons. From the BBC’s pov Michael Stewart speaking out was not going to help the relationship with Rangers.

I think we all know MS was pretty much correct in what he said so I think which of us is right will be revealed over the next few weeks by whether MS continues to get the Sportsound gig.
    MS is the best pundit the BBC have by a long stretch, although I do think Neil McCann is pretty good when analysing a game on the radio.
    There is no doubt BBC bosses will be pulling their hair out over this though since I think you're right to assume they would like to get back into Ibrox. It is a gaping hole in their coverage and surely there is pressure from down south to get access to a household name like Stevie G.
    As long as Traynor is there, that is not going to happen since he does indeed appear to be a wee bully, who holds grudges against lots of journalists and former colleagues.
    Maybe he will be phased out when Dave King rides into the sunset, if Rangers are remotely serious about their Everyone Anyone campaign, but the current impasse with the BBC plays well with a significant section of their following and fits with the rather bizarre 'everyone's agin us' attitude that currently prevails at what is surely one of the most 'establishment' clubs in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    MS regularly breakfasts in a edinburgh coffee shop I go to sometimes, he's fairly easy to spot around the city, and if he's not publicly challenged by a Son of William I'll be surprised.
    I have 8am breakfast meetings in the Huxley quite often and I've seen him there 5 or 6 times. Where do you see him?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post
    I have 8am breakfast meetings in the Huxley quite often and I've seen him there 5 or 6 times. Where do you see him?
    A place in Morningside, he must like his breakfasts out!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    A place in Morningside, he must like his breakfasts out!
    Michael is in this neck of the woods often............decent lad. Sadly though John Soutar has been allowed to reside here and he wanders up and down here like a giant stick insect. Standards are slipping bollah Nid still rules this gaff mind despite the Airdrie gear

A few of the Hearts lads also congregate at Project Coffee in Bruntsfield. Saw Jamie Walker there recently and he reminded me of a jakey Clark Gable with his wispy tache......as I passed he fell off his seat under no pressure and was denied a penalty but (latte was uninjured).

Archie Lovell is a Morningside stalwart too...........Hibs Announcer and Daz are frequent visitors so the Hibs contingent is strong in this hood

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Michael is in this neck of the woods often............decent lad. Sadly though John Soutar has been allowed to reside here and he wanders up and down here like a giant stick insect. Standards are slipping bollah Nid still rules this gaff mind despite the Airdrie gear

A few of the Hearts lads also congregate at Project Coffee in Bruntsfield. Saw Jamie Walker there recently and he reminded me of a jakey Clark Gable with his wispy tache......as I passed he fell off his seat under no pressure and was denied a penalty but (latte was uninjured).

Archie Lovell is a Morningside stalwart too...........Hibs Announcer and Daz are frequent visitors so the Hibs contingent is strong in this hood
    See a lot of players in the area, I work at both the hospitals and often walk between the sites and see ian murray out walking his dog quite a lot, MS is always going about

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    See a lot of players in the area, I work at both the hospitals and often walk between the sites and see ian murray out walking his dog quite a lot, MS is always going about
    Ian stays down the road.........carry a red card with you if he's wearing that Airdrie training jacket next time Allan

Maybe not the exact thread for this, but it probably plays right into the overall point that Mikey Stewart was making.

Celtic have made a statement saying they’ve effectively had the Morelos interview on Sky retranslated for themselves, and the part where Morelos was said to say he heard the Celtic fans saying offensive and racist words actually sees him say nothing of the sort.

Could be a bit of explaining for Sky to do if that’s the case.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    He lives in Rutland Square.
    Why don't you just give out which number he lives at,so the Huns can sniff him out?

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Its a brave but dangerous game Michael Stewart is playing regarding Sevco as its one thing reading the situation very correctly but completely another calling it out in such detail and making it personal.

Sevco dealt with Graham Speirs comprehensively and lobbied hard against Jim Spence possibly hastening his move to freelance status.

Tom English is on their radar though hasn't quite overstepped the mark yet.

You would expect the BBC to go into full retreat mode now and wheel out wee Doadsy (has he paid his taxes yet?) and Alex Rae at the weekend to try to restore some favour.

We will soon find out if the tabloids have something on Stewart as Sevco and their support base will be raking deep.

An opiniated and intelligent broadcaster who can articulate accurately the never ending "suuculent lamb" culture and manipulation between Sevco and media outlets at the very least needs to be taken down a peg or to.

The fact that Michael Stewart is demonsttably Scottish will just add to their ire and anger.
    I agree with most of what you have said but regarding the last paragraph, he's a Scottish person who is pro-independence and supports the SNP.

He's no more Scottish than anyone else who was born in Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

He's no more Scottish than anyone else who was born in Scotland.
    Peely wally skin and red hair.....Aye he is.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    Maybe not the exact thread for this, but it probably plays right into the overall point that Mikey Stewart was making.

Celtic have made a statement saying they’ve effectively had the Morelos interview on Sky retranslated for themselves, and the part where Morelos was said to say he heard the Celtic fans saying offensive and racist words actually sees him say nothing of the sort.

The bigger and more objective picture is that for decades Rangers and Celtic have benefited from decisions in football, on the pitch and off it, without so much as a whimper from other clubs or the football governance bodies (or Scottish football media). They are self absorbed with 'what aboutery' and perpetuate the horrible, vile division that exists in football and society.

Take the recent radio debate about The Rangers playing in orange and pundits like Ferguson 'not realising' it's an issue. Hidden in plain sight springs to mind. And you're not telling me Derek Ferguson doesn't realise the significance..........utter BS.

Not one media outlet seriously takes on their continued ignorance of sectarianism and how they fuel it. The Rangers or their players aren't being denied fairness, far from it, it just so happens in a new age world and social media a lot of football actions cannot be denied or ignored anymore because it's captured instantly and circulated in seconds by the masses.

As for Morelos - he's being targeted (by players) because he has shown within himself to be a player lacking good temperament on the pitch. In sport you exploit weakness. John McEnroe had poor temperament and other tennis players tried to exploit it. Not through malice, just part of sport and gaining advantage over an opponent.

Racism is abhorrent and if he has experienced it of course it's deplorable. But so is 40,000 singing about killing catholics and the Pope. Yet you won't ever read a statement from The Rangers condemning it. Until they get their own house in order, no one will take The Rangers seriously.

Haven't watched the interview, do the end credits say "Subtitles - J Traynor"?

Thinking more about the translation story, I wonder if what will come out is that it was the Rangers own translator that was used for the interview, and even further that they had editorial say so on the whole piece?

Mikey Stewart’s thoughts on it could be very interesting

Coaching Staff
    Thinking more about the translation story, I wonder if what will come out is that it was the Rangers own translator that was used for the interview, and even further that they had editorial say so on the whole piece?

The same 'translator' that translated a slitting throat gesture as 'it's the end of the game'

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    Why don't you just give out which number he lives at,so the Huns can sniff him out?

90/16 👍

There’s an article by the record where the interview has been translated by someone who speaks spanish and it’s quite amazing. The whole sky translation looks like it was written by Traynor himself, barely any of it bares a resemblance to what Morelos is saying

The same 'translator' that translated a slitting throat gesture as 'it's the end of the game'
    Exactly.

Although I believe the correct translation of that gesture has now been clarified as “My wife’s going to kill me when she finds out”

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    There’s an article by the record where the interview has been translated by someone who speaks spanish and it’s quite amazing. The whole sky translation looks like it was written by Traynor himself, barely any of it bares a resemblance to what Morelos is saying
    I watched the whole thing the other day, and even with me remembering bits of Spanish I’d been taught at school twenty odd years ago, I thought it was a bit iffy.

I did just put it down to me being daft, looks like my old Spanish teacher would have been proud of me after all.

Hope he's on tonight's show. The show's listener numbers should be better than usual.

I watched the whole thing the other day, and even with me remembering bits of Spanish I’d been taught at school twenty odd years ago, I thought it was a bit iffy.

I did just put it down to me being daft, looks like my old Spanish teacher would have been proud of me after all.
    Can’t post the article because I’m on my phone but it really is an eye opener

Coaching Staff
    Exactly.

Although I believe the correct translation of that gesture has now been clarified as “My wife’s going to kill me when she finds out”
    Their translator has eaten far too much succulent bandeja paisa Barney

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    Can’t post the article because I’m on my phone but it really is an eye opener

CELTIC Football Club has today asked Sky Sports to conduct an investigation into an interview broadcast yesterday, which accused Celtic supporters of racist behaviour.

Translations provided to Celtic Football Club have shown inconsistencies between the words spoken during the interview broadcast and the subtitles used by Sky Sports.

In particular, and most concerning, while the broadcaster used the following subtitle on screen: "Afterwards it was very frustrating to hear the crowd screaming at me. They were saying offensive and racist words.”

Mr Morelos does not use these words anywhere within the extended interview which has been broadcast across Sky’s platforms.

Celtic FC has asked Sky Sports to clarify their position on this matter.

Celtic, a club open to all since its inception, abhors racism. Our consistent stance is that wherever racism exists it should be tackled head on. Celtic will always investigate any report of racist behaviour and take appropriate action. This is a standard which all clubs should meet.

Celtic needs no encouragement to pursue racism, particularly as players and management at the club have suffered abuse persistently over the years. The seriousness of such cases has been confirmed with the prosecution and criminal convictions of some of the perpetrators.

Celtic is proud of the wonderful reputation earned by its supporters over many years in many countries and at home. The club owes it to them to act in a responsible, dignified and professional manner and to treat racism with the seriousness it deserves.

Coaching Staff
    CELTIC Football Club has today asked Sky Sports to conduct an investigation into an interview broadcast yesterday, which accused Celtic supporters of racist behaviour.

Translations provided to Celtic Football Club have shown inconsistencies between the words spoken during the interview broadcast and the subtitles used by Sky Sports.

In particular, and most concerning, while the broadcaster used the following subtitle on screen: "Afterwards it was very frustrating to hear the crowd screaming at me. They were saying offensive and racist words.”

Mr Morelos does not use these words anywhere within the extended interview which has been broadcast across Sky’s platforms.

Celtic FC has asked Sky Sports to clarify their position on this matter.

Celtic, a club open to all since its inception, abhors racism. Our consistent stance is that wherever racism exists it should be tackled head on. Celtic will always investigate any report of racist behaviour and take appropriate action. This is a standard which all clubs should meet.

Celtic needs no encouragement to pursue racism, particularly as players and management at the club have suffered abuse persistently over the years. The seriousness of such cases has been confirmed with the prosecution and criminal convictions of some of the perpetrators.

Celtic is proud of the wonderful reputation earned by its supporters over many years in many countries and at home. The club owes it to them to act in a responsible, dignified and professional manner and to treat racism with the seriousness it deserves.
    I long for the day we get rid of the pair of them from Scottish football personally. Both clubs hold us back in so many ways. That 'statement' is less about abhorring racism (which everyone abhors) but more about going at The Rangers..........both clubs are shameful.

Left by mutual consent!

Over reaction IMO.

Now deleted, but it's a pretty well known fact anyway.

Would you mind deleting your post as it quotes the address?
    Last edited by Cataplana; 04-02-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    90/16 👍

Eh? That's my address.

Left by mutual consent!
    I long for the day we get rid of the pair of them from Scottish football personally. Both clubs hold us back in so many ways. That 'statement' is less about abhorring racism (which everyone abhors) but more about going at The Rangers..........both clubs are shameful.
    That's a cop out. Show me the statements Celtic have made in recent years that are in anyway comparable to the Sevconians? They had every right to go after Sky in the statement. If it was aimed at Hibs we'd be fuming.

They told blatant lies about Hibernian and the clubs support. Their dodgy handshaking friends in the media and the police couldn't wait to get revenge after the cup final. Show me something comparable with Celtic fans?

I agree it would be a good thing if neither existed. One side is quite clearly worse than the other though.

Looks like Sky have some explaining to do, seems like they might have been making fools of their customers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Eh? That's my address.

Change of username from Pat to Billy then I would suggest 😁😁