hibs.net Messageboard

Page 54 of 85 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2543

Thread: Sportsound

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was Mowbray's team though. He soon blew it up.
    Mowbray couldn’t win a trophy with his own team, Collins did and in style. His recruitment was poor, but never really understood the criticism that the team he won the cup with was Mowbrays team.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Mowbray couldn’t win a trophy with his own team, Collins did and in style. His recruitment was poor, but never really understood the criticism that the team he won the cup with was Mowbrays team.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    It was Mowbray's team though. He soon blew it up.
    You are joking right? Collins blew it up? Or how about the truth that any player worth anything was sold??

Admittedly some of the players he brought in were a huge disappointment however the players that left were almost impossible to replace however you are wrong to say JC blew up Mowbrays team.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 18Craig75 View Post
    The Sportsound line up we all want to hear is Collins, Stewart, Levein & Kevin Thomson.
    I'd pay to listen to that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Agreed, one of the daftest statements that gets made. Believe it or not in Aberdeen some people still say Fergie had all his success with Billy McNeill's team because BN had a slightly better win average. Just daft!

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    I would pay not to listen to Sportsound. Oops I already do.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    You are joking right? Collins blew it up? Or how about the truth that any player worth anything was sold??

Admittedly some of the players he brought in were a huge disappointment however the players that left were almost impossible to replace however you are wrong to say JC blew up Mowbrays team.
    One player left, Thomson, before the LC win. Look how the team deteriorated over the season culminating in those awful displays versus Dunfermline in the cup semis. He destroyed a great team pissing everybody off long before they were sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I loved JC as a player. I'll alway be grateful that he stayed on longer than he needed to to earn the club a good transfer fee.

He inherited a good squad and got them playing very well. His signings were atrocious (no point blaming Tommy Craig, JC was the manager), the gottle-of-geer interview is one of the most embarrassing things I've witnessed as a Hibs supporter.

He lost the changing room and was too far up his own backside to turn things around.

As for fitness and attitude, did our Scottish cup winning squad live lives of teetotal solitude?

We were pretty horrible to watch during his last 2-3 months in charge and he eventually spat the dummy.

I don't want him anywhere near Hibs.
    many members of our Scottish cup winning squad have had careers plagued with injuries. Not really the best example of fitness. Conrad Logan, Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, McGeouch, Fyvie, Farid and Boyle have had really bad times with injury at one point or another. Maybe better fitness routines and care of themselves would've reduced that? Difficult to know.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Only if they were in the same studio. Over the phone would be rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post
    I would pay not to listen to Sportsound. Oops I already do.
    Funny and true.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

One player left, Thomson, before the LC win. Look how the team deteriorated over the season culminating in those awful displays versus Dunfermline in the cup semis. He destroyed a great team pissing everybody off long before they were sold.
    That’s not what you said though - he blew up the squad.
    Off the top of my head Brown, Murphy, Whittaker and Sproule were sold bringing in close on 9m in transfer fees.
    JC made mistakes, granted, however the way the squad behaved was terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    One of them is being economical with the truth. It’s difficult to know who to believe.
    Tbf to KT there are loads of ex-players stories that are in line with his. None with Collins

Blog Entries

He signed some complete pish. Noubissie, Joneliet, Gathuessi, Makalambay, O’Brien. Most of them jacked in football before they were 30

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He signed some complete pish. Noubissie, Joneliet, Gathuessi, Makalambay, O’Brien. Most of them jacked in football before they were 30
    Add Brian Kerr to that list.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    I've posted some of this before but again just to clarify. JC was appointed Hibs manager at the age of 38, it was his 1st managerial appointment & he hadn't been involved in UK football for 3 years. Hibs put Tommy Craig in as his Asst Mgr & to act as Collins mentor. Tommy C was 100% responsible for the signing of AOB & Brian Kerr, both of whom had been with him at Newcastle. TC also wanted to sign a guy called Stuart Green who had also been at Newcastle. JC used another player, who he knew from Fulham as his conduit to approach Green. At one stage this player was interested in signing for us instead but both stayed with Crystal Palace & the conduit ended up playing hundreds of Championship & EPL games. This is not to say JC was perfect but the criticism of his role in these major signings is misplaced.

Any player that scored a winner for Hibs against the gorgie dogs can never be called pish. He may well have been rubbish in nearly all the games he played for us, but not complete pish

Last edited by BS44; 25-06-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I've posted some of this before but again just to clarify. JC was appointed Hibs manager at the age of 38, it was his 1st managerial appointment & he hadn't been involved in UK football for 3 years. Hibs put Tommy Craig in as his Asst Mgr & to act as Collins mentor. Tommy C was 100% responsible for the signing of AOB & Brian Kerr, both of whom had been with him at Newcastle. TC also wanted to sign a guy called Stuart Green who had also been at Newcastle. JC used another player, who he knew from Fulham as his conduit to approach Green. At one stage this player was interested in signing for us instead but both stayed with Crystal Palace & the conduit ended up playing hundreds of Championship & EPL games. This is not to say JC was perfect but the criticism of his role in these major signings is misplaced.
    Was he the manager or not?

It's too easy to say that he wasn't responsible for the bad stuff.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Any player that scored a winner for Hibs against the gorgie dogs can never be called pish. He may well have been rubbish in nearly all the games he played for us, but not complete pish

Make her mind up. Yeah, I was there that night and I'm pleased he had his finest .minute in a Hibs top that night.

Make her mind up. Yeah, I was there that night and I'm pleased he had his finest .minute in a Hibs top that night.
    His finest ninety minutes 😉

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    We had also sold our best forwardline in many years, Riordan & O'Connor, the previous summer and Killen was out with a long term injury from January 2007 onwards. Thought that was worth a mention

Quote Originally Posted by 18Craig75 View Post
    The Sportsound line up we all want to hear is Collins, Stewart, Levein & Kevin Thomson.
    And big Yogi as referee

Testimonial Due
    That’s not what you said though - he blew up the squad.
    Off the top of my head Brown, Murphy, Whittaker and Sproule were sold bringing in close on 9m in transfer fees.
    JC made mistakes, granted, however the way the squad behaved was terrible.

I never said he sold the players. I said he blew up or destroyed a good team long before it was physically dismantled. He had no management skills. A good manager would know how to change fitness/diet without pissing the whole squad off.

I never said he sold the players. I said he blew up or destroyed a good team long before it was physically dismantled. He had no management skills. A good manager would know how to change fitness/diet without pissing the whole squad off.
    Very true unfortunately. His choice of assistant was poor. TC did nothing to help JC and undoubtedly did more damage. The players hated playing for JC.

A better assistant would have bridged the gap and helped JC. His team were fit and played some sexy stuff - that Murphy winner at Mordor was as good a team goal as any. The man management and bloody mindedness was the problem.

I still expect to see Alan O’Brien on an episode of faking it. He didn’t even know where to stand on the pitch at set plays FFS.

TC also stabbed Danny Lennon in the back at St Mirren. If TC were on fire, I’d piss on him then pour petrol on him and set him alight again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    It was Collins that chose Craig as his asst, not Hibs.

Blog Entries
    He did a great job of ruining it before he left. In the 2nd half of the league season, he won 4, drew 5 and lost 7, which was incredible with squad of players he had.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Can we please stop mentioning Brian Kerr.

I’m now having flashbacks featuring his rare ability to break up the momentum of an attack by passing the ball behind the recipient.

Anyone mind the press conference where TC was whispering instructions to Collins whilst chomping on an apple? Weird!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Can we please stop mentioning Brian Kerr.

I’m now having flashbacks featuring his rare ability to break up the momentum of an attack by passing the ball behind the recipient.
    Ivan Sproule used to have to do a lap of the pitch to receive his passes.

Steve Clarke was on yesterdays podcast.

At last a voice of reason.

Although they only touched on reconstruction, he did say that he agreed reconstruction should be looked into, it was the timing that was wrong as clubs are fully focused on covid-19 issues and getting back playing. He also said that clubs need far more time to ensure it's properly thought through and implemented correctly. Previously all pundits have come from the "reconstruct to save Hearts as it's not fair stand point".

He also said the 'B Team' idea had some merit but should be open to more than just Celtic and Rangers - this got no response from Neil McCann.

He did make a comment which made me smile. He said that ultimately all clubs are looking after themselves in this pandemic and have their own interests at the center of their actions. Which is spot on - yet listening to Sportsound and reading the BBC sport website you'd think Hearts and Partick actions are all in Scotland's best interests and the 26 clubs who voted against reconstruction are selfish and wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He did a great job of ruining it before he left. In the 2nd half of the league season, he won 4, drew 5 and lost 7, which was incredible with squad of players he had.
    He had an excellent start to the following season with pretty much a new squad of players. Can remember winning 1-0 at Ibrox, Murphy scored.