hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lennon Out!

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I’m 47.

Can’t recall more fun at ER than under NL.

Auld, Stanton, Blackley, Miller, Williamson, Duffy, McLeish, Mixu, Hughes, Collins, Fenlon, Calderwood, Butcher and Stubbs.

There weren’t that many fun times with these guys as manager from memory.

Maybe you see it differently? Are you 90 and got to enjoy the famous 5 regularly?!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m 47.

Auld, Stanton, Blackley, Miller, Williamson, Duffy, McLeish, Mixu, Hughes, Collins, Fenlon, Calderwood, Butcher and Stubbs.

Maybe you see it differently? Are you 90 and got to enjoy the famous 5 regularly?!
    Seriously? We didn't even get to a final under him or even finish 3rd? Mental

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Heid Yin View Post
    Yes, guiding us to promotion as League champions and then into Europe, with the most exciting football many of us had not enjoyed since the heady days of The Tornadoes, wasn't that Successful!
    If he didn't get us promoted from that league he would have been up there with the worst managers in our history. He did his job well, nothing more.

Yogi and Fenlon took us into Europe. What is your point?

How was he doing in his last season here?

He was a good manager who played exciting football. I get it. But he was no messiah and heckingbottom may actually turn out to be better, but some have made their mind up already due to who hos predecessor was.

I’m 47.

Mowbray and McLeish era were better than Lennons good 5 month spell in 2 years. The rest was turgid bordering on dire.
    Last edited by Since452; 14-08-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Neil Lennon excited and for a while we felt invincible and able to take on any team in Scotland, including the Glasgow giants.

Not since the halcyon days of the Tornadoes had I felt so good about our club or where it was going under our temperamental but charismatic manager.

Crowds were up, the football was breath-taking at times and the atmosphere at games, electric.

Granted we hit a slump, but he, given the time would undoubtedly have turned things around.

We now have a fear-driven character at the helm whose personality has transmitted onto the football we are seeing.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 14-08-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Neil Lennon excited and for a while we felt invincible and able to take on any team in Scotland, including the Glasgow giants.
    It felt good to be a Hibby and made our way down Easter Road to the games.
    I personally had never felt so good about our club or where it was going under our temperamental but charismatic manager.
    Crowds were up, the football was breath-taking at times and the atmosphere at games, electric.
    Granted we hit a slump, but he, given the time would undoubtedly have turned things around.

We now have a fear-driven Yorkshireman at the helm whose personality has transmitted onto the football we are seeing.
    Even through the tougher times it always feels good to be a Hibernian, win, lose or draw, my passion is full time and permanent.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Seriously? We didn't even get to a final under him or even finish 3rd? Mental
    I have never said I thought he was our best manager, simply that he was my favourite.

It's not just about the results for me, probably isn't for many Hibs fans.

It's as much a social thing. Meeting up with friends and family for the game and having a decent day. We had plenty of them under NL and pretty much none since he left.

No point having a go at me by the way. Just compare your own experiences of going to games under NL to now. It's night and day around the stadium.

Listen to folks chat as they leave the ground. There was never this much negativity under NL, even during his 'disastrous' spell.

Anyways, you crack on hating him if you like, i wonder what your thoughts on PH will be by the time he leaves!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    Sutton’s already tweeted it’s the boards fault for not investing. Same as he did when NL was with us.
    Correct - as in not investing in a decent manager - but he probably didn't mean that 😂

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    While Rome is burning and we are watching the likes of Newell and Doige at Easter Road, there will always be some who cling onto the last part of Neil Lennon's time at Hibs as a comfort blanket.

I’m 47.

No fun times under McLeish with the likes of Sauzee and Latapy in the team? 6-2 and the 0-3 Millennium derby are 2 of my favourite ever Hibs games.

Also plenty fun times under Stubbs, the wins against Hearts and Rangers, Cup runs...

Left by mutual consent!
    The Lennon haters do my head in.

I had more fun going to ER during his time than any other manager.

The crowds came back under him and there was a real buzz around the ground.

And yeah, we loved how he stood up for our club. We’d been crying out for that for decades.

How do you feel when you leave ER nowadays?

Jumping with excitement as you talk to your mates about the game on your way home??

I doubt it. It sucks just now and no amount of Lennon hating will change that.
    It sucked before Lennon left also.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

Not since the halcyon days of the Tornadoes had I felt so good about our club or where it was going under our temperamental but charismatic manager.

We now have a fear-driven character at the helm whose personality has transmitted onto the football we are seeing.
    Your 1st sentence, that has been felt under Mowbray Stubbs and even Calderwood where we have went west and got decent results, it just didn't start under Lennon, breathtaking, your having a laugh, Mowbrays team was way more exciting.

We get it, you can't see past Lennon even when we were tumbling down the league but can't wait to put the boot into our new manager who has won 1 and lost 1 at the start of the season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Mowbray and McLeish era were better than Lennons good 5 month spell in 2 years. The rest was turgid bordering on dire.
    Mcleish especially both the year we came back up and the year we finished third and made the Scottish cup final. Beating Celtic Rangers and Hesrts many a time along the way.

I’m 47.

Surely Stubbs winning the Scottish cup brought more fun than anything Lennon achieved no?

Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    I wonder who will become his scapegoat at Celtic. Possibly the new left back
    Who, according to rumours, wasn't signed by Lennon and the other players don't rate him....look out for Kamberiesque treatment of this guy by Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    While Rome is burning and we are watching the likes of Newell and Doige at Easter Road, there will always be some who cling onto the last part of Neil Lennon's time at Hibs as a comfort blanket.
    How exactly is Rome burning? The club is nowhere near the state it was in during the period under Lennon you mention in your post.
    We have a new owner, a relatively new manager and plenty new players.
    Yes we are all concerned after Sunday but surely we give them all at least a little time to make things better.

I have never said I thought he was our best manager, simply that he was my favourite.

It's as much a social thing. Meeting up with friends and family for the game and having a decent day. We had plenty of them under NL and pretty much none since he left.

No point having a go at me by the way. Just compare your own experiences of going to games under NL to now. It's night and day around the stadium.

Listen to folks chat as they leave the ground. There was never this much negativity under NL, even during his 'disastrous' spell.

Anyways, you crack on hating him if you like, i wonder what your thoughts on PH will be by the time he leaves!!!

There were quite a few times leaving ER that I marvelled at the fact we had the best midfield in Scotland: McGinn, McGeouch and Allan. We were fortunate enough to have two fantastic GKs (very unusual for Hibs), decent defenders and a strike partnership that just seemed to gel. Some of these players were brought to the club by Lennon and some not.

There were other times when I left games wondering what that was I had just watched and how what had been such a good team seemed to have turned into a mediocre side with a strange setup and no apparent game-plan.

I don't hate Lennon, I look back and saviour the decent games... but I recognise that he didn't appear to know what to do when the reality of managing a side with limited finances sunk in... losing some of its best players and not having the money to replace them.

Last season, he also didn't appear to be happy at Hibs and many of us were unhappy with his bizarre behaviour at the latter end, though that doesn't mean I still hold a grudge.

He's now the Celtc manager, and I defend the right to take the p1ss out of him and his club when results don't go their way. Exactly the same way I would if it was The Rangers.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 14-08-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post
    If he didn't get us promoted from that league he would have been up there with the worst managers in our history. He did his job well, nothing more.

Yogi and Fenlon took us into Europe. What is your point?

How was he doing in his last season here?

He was a good manager who played exciting football. I get it. But he was no messiah and heckingbottom may actually turn out to be better, but some have made their mind up already due to who hos predecessor was.

Any manager coming in after Neil Lennon was going to have a battle on his hands to win over hearts and minds.

The Lennon era was exciting and never boring, even during the slump.

Football is, after all is said and done, entertainment, and Neil Lennon entertained many of we Hibbies big time, and for that I will always be grateful.

I’m 47.

So being top of the league for 13 games or whatever it was under McLeish wasn't exciting? Still think knocking down the west had an adverse effect on that season

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    How exactly is Rome burning? The club is nowhere near the state it was in during the period under Lennon you mention in your post.
    We have a new owner, a relatively new manager and plenty new players.
    Yes we are all concerned after Sunday but surely we give them all at least a little time to make things better.
    Of course not. BH has already decided everything is ***** and is letting us all know regularly.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by franck sauzee View Post
    So being top of the league for 13 games or whatever it was under McLeish wasn't exciting? Still think knocking down the west had an adverse effect on that season
    When did we go too for 13 games? I remember going top after beating the huns or maybe even Aberdeen at Pittodrie (both Zitelli) but soon go thumped by Celtic 3-0 at Parkhead soon after. That was my best season following Hibs. Motherwell away, Dundee away, 6/2 obviously, good draw at Parkhead (Libra) and the Quarter final at Rugby Park among the highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Your 1st sentence, that has been felt under Mowbray Stubbs and even Calderwood where we have went west and got decent results, it just didn't start under Lennon, breathtaking, your having a laugh, Mowbrays team was way more exciting.

We get it, you can't see past Lennon even when we were tumbling down the league but can't wait to put the boot into our new manager who has won 1 and lost 1 at the start of the season.
    It wasn't all about results for me.

Every single manager in history hits a slump to some degree.

Ferguson was one game away from being sacked by Man U.

It was about the feel-good factor under this particular manager and the buzz I felt surrounding our club through the bulk of his tenure.

Yes, he was flawed, tempestuous and erratic, but these merely added to the entertainment.

Given time, he would have turned things around and guided us into the top 6 last season.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 14-08-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Yes, guiding us to promotion as League champions and then into Europe, with the most exciting football many of us had not enjoyed since the heady days of The Tornadoes, wasn't that Successful!
    Wee Pat Fenlon would have won that league with Hibs. Giving credit to Lennon for being champions of that poor Championship with endless draws and without Rangers or Hearts with 1 more point than Stubbs managed is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    No fun times under McLeish with the likes of Sauzee and Latapy in the team? 6-2 and the 0-3 Millennium derby are 2 of my favourite ever Hibs games.

Also plenty fun times under Stubbs, the wins against Hearts and Rangers, Cup runs...
    Crikey, I never said none, just not so many!

Of course going back over 40 years there will be games that were amazing and exciting.

What I'm saying is that I enjoyed his spell more than others. Why do you all have to piss on my chips about it?? Do you hate the guy so much that you need everyone else to feel the same way?

Anyways, I'm sure you're loving what's on offer now. I feel for you - you'll be gutted when PH leaves and then you'll know how I feel about NL leaving

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Wee Pat Fenlon would have won that league with Hibs. Giving credit to Lennon for being champions of that poor Championship without Rangers or Hearts with 1 more point than Stubbs managed is a bit much.
    Especially when McLeishs Hibs absolutely *****ed the Div 1 title with Sauzee and Latapy in it. 23 points ahead of Falkirk. 89 points we had in the end.

At least ph has managed a win at tynecastle, all lennon done was lose, draw or embarrass the club there with his antics, mcleish's time was by far the most I've enjoyed and its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    When did we go too for 13 games? I remember going top after beating the huns or maybe even Aberdeen at Pittodrie (both Zitelli) but soon go thumped by Celtic 3-0 at Parkhead soon after. That was my best season following Hibs. Motherwell away, Dundee away, 6/2 obviously, good draw at Parkhead (Libra) and the Quarter final at Rugby Park among the highlights.
    We won 11 of the first 14 games

I’m 47.

You honestly cannot be serious.

I really like a lot about Lennon as a person and he was a good manager for us and got some great results at Ibrox, against Celtic etc. But he lacked consistency, both in results and team selection and had mini collapses at points in both seasons saved only by January transfers. And his teams were definitely not always ‘up for it’ as this thread has exposed some of the results under him. Imagine Heckingbottom being 0-3 down against Hamilton at home and being allowed to even get to his car to get home.?!

Our 2 full seasons under McLeish when we came a clear third place in one of them, the millennium 3-0 thrashing of them at Tyny, 6-2, 3-1, Sauzee, Latapy, SC Final, AEK, etc.

Then there was Mowbray and our golden generation - wonderful football and all our own laddies. Amazing time. Two 3-0’s at Ibrox. And setting the ground for the famous 2007 LC victory.

Lennon doesn’t even come close to those times for excitement or just about anything else. Surely.

First Team Regular
    It wasn't all about results for me.

Every single manager in history hits a slump to some degree.

Ferguson was one game away from being sacked by Man U.

It was about the feel-good factor under this particular manager and the buzz I felt surrounding our club through the bulk of his tenure.

Yes, he was flawed, tempestuous and erratic, but these merely added to the entertainment.

Given time, he would have turned things around and guided us into the top 6 last season.

He was good to begin with, no question, but he did lose the plot and had started coming across pretty negatively though, would it have continued is anyones guess and we will never get to find out now.....

I wish it turned out differently for him, but it never! His main fault wasnt any of his character flaws, it was his failure to sign 2 quality central midfielders and that proved to be the root cause of his demise.

Crikey, I never said none, just not so many!

Of course going back over 40 years there will be games that were amazing and exciting.

What I'm saying is that I enjoyed his spell more than others. Why do you all have to piss on my chips about it?? Do you hate the guy so much that you need everyone else to feel the same way?

Anyways, I'm sure you're loving what's on offer now. I feel for you - you'll be gutted when PH leaves and then you'll know how I feel about NL leaving
    Haha, not at all. Lennon was one of my favourite Hibs managers and I was gutted the way it turned out. I just prefered to watch us under McLeish, Mowbray and Stubbs.

And no not really enjoying whats going on at the moment. But I also don't think its as bad as some are making out. I think after playing everyone once will be a better indication of where we are at.