hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alan Stubbs

Hybrid View

Alan Stubbs

I said before Heckys appointment I wanted Stubbs and I stand by it. I know there’s fans out there that said no chance but let’s be honest here. Stubbs built the majority of our team that won the cup, got promoted and had a record breaking season in the premier league under Lennon. McGinn Gray McGeouch Fyvie Allan Boyle Bartley to name a few. Yes he didn’t get us promoted, which Lennon did without Rangers or hearts in the league BUT he had us playing the Hibs way, the feel good factor was there, he changed the mentality against hearts, he actually went to tyncastle and played football, played hearts off the park at times. We struggled to win games when teams sat in against us, yes, we also struggled with this under Lennon. I would love to have Stubbs back in the premier league, even losing games he’d have us playing the Hibs way, an attacking and exciting brand of football with no fear.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Maybe bookmark this and we can discuss this when we've got a managerial vacancy.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Not this again!!

He’s had his time at Hibs. He won’t get back in at any top level club after the shambles at St Mirren.

Also, we currently have a manager.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    What’s he done since to suggest he’d be a success?
    I don’t fink it’s this simple...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Been here done. He didnt get us promotion. As mentioned whats he done since he made the mistake of jumping ship?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    No thanks

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan03 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said before Heckys appointment I wanted Stubbs and I stand by it. I know there’s fans out there that said no chance but let’s be honest here. Stubbs built the majority of our team that won the cup, got promoted and had a record breaking season in the premier league under Lennon. McGinn Gray McGeouch Fyvie Allan Boyle Bartley to name a few. Yes he didn’t get us promoted, which Lennon did without Rangers or hearts in the league BUT he had us playing the Hibs way, the feel good factor was there, he changed the mentality against hearts, he actually went to tyncastle and played football, played hearts off the park at times. We struggled to win games when teams sat in against us, yes, we also struggled with this under Lennon. I would love to have Stubbs back in the premier league, even losing games he’d have us playing the Hibs way, an attacking and exciting brand of football with no fear.
    That’s some linguistical gymnastics to avoid tripping up over your contradictions there :)

“I would love to have Stubbs back in the premier league, even losing games he’d have us playing the Hibs way, an attacking and exciting brand of football with no fear.” I can just imagine a Jambo rubbing his chinny-chin-chin taking the p155 with that statement.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    That’s some linguistical gymnastics to avoid tripping up over your contradictions there :)

“I would love to have Stubbs back in the premier league, even losing games he’d have us playing the Hibs way, an attacking and exciting brand of football with no fear.” I can just imagine a Jambo rubbing his chinny-chin-chin taking the p155 with that statement.
    Meaning if we lost games it wouldn’t be cos we are playing boring football with half hearted players and no game plan. Likeyesterfah.

I don’t understand why people wouldn’t want him. Would Lennon have built such a squad and got us promoted? I’m not so sure.

Stubbs has us playing great football, especially against the better sides who didn’t sit in against us, we would open them up, Aberdeen, St J, hearts in the cup etc.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    How many times will this be discussed, he failed in what was probably his main job, get us promoted, the cup win was great and I loved that day but he was employed to get us out the league, he then failed at rotherham and st mirren so there is nothing to suggest he has progressed as a manager but actually went backwards

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    SOS Stubbsy

Left by mutual consent!
    Still don’t understand why he left to go to Rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Exactly. His reasons for leaving are the reasons he should be nowhere near the job.

I wanted Stubbs at the time. For some reason loads on here had turned against him. Hasnt worked for him elsewhere but sometimes managers and clubs just work together. I thought that was us and Stubbs.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    I wanted Stubbs at the time. For some reason loads on here had turned against him. Hasnt worked for him elsewhere but sometimes managers and clubs just work together. I thought that was us and Stubbs.
    I didn't want him back, but I certainly haven't turned against him, I don't think anyone has. I love Alan Stubbs. Hibs Legend. He's had his time though. He left, he moved on, he's not done well, and there's nothing that would suggest he'd be the right person for us now.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I didn't want him back, but I certainly haven't turned against him, I don't think anyone has. I love Alan Stubbs. Hibs Legend. He's had his time though. He left, he moved on, he's not done well, and there's nothing that would suggest he'd be the right person for us now.
    Plenty had. Some of the stuff said on here about him after Lennon left was unreal.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm of this opinion too - often works like that with players too (eg. Scott Allan). I thought Stubbs succeeded at Hibs for two main reasons - he got to build his team more or less from scratch (which he seems to like doing) and played a style which we all lapped up.

At St Mirren and Rotherham he seemed once more to want to rip it all up and start again - big difference was that these were two promoted teams who probably didn't need much rebuilding - result was that Stubbs pulled apart teams used to winning, stalled their momentum and lost the fans in the process - result:failure.

It's true that Stubbs' record since leaving Hibs has been pretty awful, but against that, he made a series of excellent signings for Hibs - seeming to instinctively know what was required - and that easy on the eye style had us all purring. Would love to give him another go if Hecky doesn't cut the mustard - or even if, as McNulty has suggested, he ends up being a sensation and is lured away to some stinking rich club down south before the season's out.

Thanks but no thanks.

Will be ever grateful for winning us the cup but with respects to him I really think we should be setting the bar a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Exactly. His reasons for leaving are the reasons he should be nowhere near the job.
    He said he didnt believe he could top the SC final. He couldnt get us out of the championship, and obviously thought he couldnt do it the next year. He moved on to rotheram and st mirren and flopped. He is a legend for bringing the cup home, but please put him to bed.

Rumour's at the time is it was because of non football reasons...

Left by mutual consent!
    Rumour's at the time is it was because of non football reasons...
    Whatever the reasons were, I don’t think Dempster would re-hire someone who jumps ship at the first opportunity. He was probably a cup final defeat away from the sack at time too.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Whatever the reasons were, I don’t think Dempster would re-hire someone who jumps ship at the first opportunity. He was probably a cup final defeat away from the sack at time too.

Alan touted himself for the job in January and LD ignored him. So that’s that: if he was going to return, it would have happened.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I agree he was very close to the sack. Perfect time to go the way it worked out

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

He left due to non football related issues which we are not allowed to discuss on this forum.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    He wasn’t though...Dempster said in a recent interview that, after he said he was taking the Rotherham job, she travelled down south to persuade him to stay..but his mind was made up

A lot of people do...

Doolan...

Where is he now ?!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Doolan...

Where is he now ?!
    Accrington Stanley?